30/06 165 grain

I am thinking about taking my 30/06 , it really loves the 165 grain bullets. Is that to light for Zebra, Blue WB, Gemsbok?

Absolutely not! It's about the shot placement. I've seen a lot of plains game shot with 165 grain 30.06 bullets and a gentleman killed a big tom leopard with that grain bullet.

30-06 with factory 165 Federal Trophy Bonded Tip worked flawlessly this past August on all plains game including wildebeest (made it 30 yards) and kudu (dropped dead in it’s tracks), both shots through shoulder. Very accurate and does not foul barrels like a solid copper bullet.
I've shot one of my biggest typical whitetail bucks with this same round and weight. The deer was 270 lbs scored in the high 180s. He dropped like a rock in a pond at 90 yards.

I remember what a long range shooting instructor told me several years back.
In his opinion when it comes to 30 cal the appropriate bullet weight distribution (with premium bulls) would be:
180 gr - 300 Win Mag
165 gr - 30.06
150/155 gr - 308 Win

If you use softer bullets - increase the weight of the bullet with about 10 gr.
190/200 gr - 300 Win Mag
180 gr - 30.06
165 gr - 308 Win.

Increasing the weight of the bullet more than that, one sacrifices too much of the bullet speed and it decreases its performance beyond 150-200 yards.

I agree 100% with that shooting instructor. I used the 165’s on my last trip and they worked great, it’s worth reiterating that bullet placement is king! The original trophy bonded bear claws were great for kudu down for me, a bit much for the steenbok :ROFLMAO: 180 grain maybe preferable if you could get them. . .

IMG_6073.jpeg
IMG_6090.jpeg
IMG_8666.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree 100% with that shooting instructor. I used the 165’s on my last trip and they worked great, it’s worth reiterating that bullet placement is king! The original trophy bonded bear claws were great for kudu down for me, a bit much for the steenbok :ROFLMAO: 180 grain maybe preferable if you could get them. . .View attachment 574980View attachment 574981View attachment 574982View attachment 574984
Federal terminal ascent is the updated trophy bonded bear claw. Has better ballistic coefficient for longer range and better opening at shorter range high velocity and at longer ranger lower velocity.

Attachments

• Federal Terminal Ascent Ammo Review: Great Accuracy and Perf - RifleShooter.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 40
Add me to the list of those saying you'll be fine, but also make sure you're shooting a good bullet. If I may also suggest, that if you can find them, North Fork Bonded Cores and/or Swift A-Frames would be another couple of good choices.

My son has used a ‘06 on 5 trips to SA and Namibia. 165 grain bonded bullet has been successful on over 150 head of game up to Kudu, Zebra, Oryx and everything on down…trophy and cull. Last April he used Nosler Accubonds with excellent results, prior hunts Barnes 168, they seem to need the speed more than the Nosler. You have the perfect rifle for Plains game in SA. Enhjoy and make memories for a lifetime

No. The 165 is my favorite .30-06 load. With a boat-tail bullet with a high BC, it will out perform either a 150 grain or 180 grain bullet trajectory and has plenty of punch. I've killed 10 bull elk with a 165 Accubond.
I have to agree. I think that the 165 grain Accubond is probably the best all around bullet choice for the .30-06.

Ican shoot a 180 gr as fast as a 165 gr; and I prefer the 180 in the 30-06 as thats the round that made it rep and the bullet b which all others are judged.

I see the 165 as neither fish nor fowl, slower than the 150 doesn,t shoot as flat and lighter weight of lead, and less penetration than the 180 at the same velocity when handloaded...
that said, my experience on wildebeest, zebra, especially eland etc penetration is paramount to African PG or DG. sorry boys thats my story and Im sticking to it.

Ican shoot a 180 gr as fast as a 165 gr; and I prefer the 180 in the 30-06 as thats the round that made it rep and the bullet b which all others are judged.

I see the 165 as neither fish nor fowl, slower than the 150 doesn,t shoot as flat and lighter weight of lead, and less penetration than the 180 at the same velocity when handloaded...
that said, my experience on wildebeest, zebra, especially eland etc penetration is paramount to African PG or DG. sorry boys thats my story and Im sticking to it.
Not sure I've ever seen a reloading guide that shows a 180 grain bullet in a .30-06 to be as fast as a 165 grain bullet. My books show that at max loads, the 165 is about 100 fps faster.
It seems to me that the 165 grain bullet might be the best all around choice for the .30-06. I will say that if I was just hunting the heavy animals you listed "especially eland" I'd stick with the 180 grain also. I took an '06 with 180 grain Partitions.

I am thinking about taking my 30/06 , it really loves the 165 grain bullets. Is that to light for Zebra, Blue WB, Gemsbok?
I've taken 20+ zebra and blue wildebeest with my .308 using 168 grain Barnes or Swift ammo, 30.06 is plenty of gun!!

I shoot barnes 165 ttsx from my 308.. have taken zebra, wildebeest, and a host of other PG with it..

You’ll have zero problem..
what is your velocity, I have a very accurate load for my 308 with 168ttsx. But its a 20inch barrel and about 2600fps mv.

what is your velocity, I have a very accurate load for my 308 with 168ttsx. But its a 20inch barrel and about 2600fps mv.

I’m right at 2700 fps at the muzzle…

I have a list of the different styles of shooting sticks their PH’s use. I use a set I made, it’s a bi pod. They mostly use tri pod. As far as practice with my 06, I bought 4 boxes of 165 grain interlocks to reload for this winter. Then to reload my hunting loads with either CX or TTSX in mid spring and work up a accurate hunting load and practice with those. (August 7th is the first day of hunting.) My gun range is at 200 yards but can be made out to 400 yards but the last 150 yards would be up hill.
Blue Wildebeest and Zebra can be resilient. I'd strongly suggest the TTSX. Not sure about the CS but the old GMX would blow up and not penetrate some times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psychicshakurk

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.