ZIMBABWE: SOUTH AFRICA: ZAMBIA: The Traveler (Zimbabwe), Sunsets (South Africa) & Ant Hill Dwellers (Zambia)

BnC 04

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC
Hunted
Canada/Europe/Africa/14 US States
Part 1- The Traveler (Zimbabwe)

The original plan for this year’s trip was to have a full month to hunt Zim, S. Africa and Zambia but as so often happens, family commitments forced us (wife and I) to cut our time down to 21 days. In doing so we decided to go and visit a new area Rouan of @TSALA HUNTING SAFARIS informed us about. The plan was to go check out the property for 5 days and then spend a couple days in Victoria Falls while doing some fishing and sightseeing.

Some time prior to our departure Rouan and I spoke about the area and animals on the Zim property. We concluded that it would be a shame to not have a permit taken out for a bull elephant. The hunting area has boreholes and due to the lack of water elsewhere the blocks had lots of elephant coming in from Hwange and Sukumi Forestry. So, I gave the go ahead with getting the permit for an exportable trophy elephant. Anxious isn’t a word that fully describes the feeling leading up to the day of travel as so many of us know and understand. With my iron sighted Heym 470, 20 rounds of handloaded 500gr CEB solids and 20 rounds of handloaded 500gr Swift Aframes safely packed we were ready to roll. We once again choose to fly United out of Nashville to Newark and onto Joburg. We overnighted in Joburg and jumped on an Airlink flight into Vic Falls the following morning. Once again no issues with the flights or the rifle and luggage arriving with us, knock on wood.

The elephant hunt took place in the rugged and picturesque Gwayi River area of Zimbabwe, a hunting ground bordering the renowned Hwange National Park and Sikumi Forestry area. After a 3.5-hour drive from Victoria Falls International Airport on a notoriously rough road, we finally arrived at camp around dinner time and we were greeted by the entire camp staff and visited with our Zim PH Raphel and his tracker Justin for a bit. Raphel has hunted 100’s of elephant and Justin has been his dedicated tracker for 19 years, so I felt confident we were in good hands. Eager to begin what would be a challenging and memorable adventure we called it a night and tried to get some sleep.

Day 1: We spent the day shooting the rifle and looing over the property to see what might be in the area. The bush in this region is thick and varied, creating an ideal habitat for big game, especially elephant. Seeing good stands of Mopani trees was a treat as lots we encountered had been severely damaged (destroyed) by the elephants. From the start, the signs were promising, we encountered a small group of cows and calves. Over the next few days, we held to a common practice. Search for a BIG track and once found, walk it down if deemed necessary. I honestly have no idea how many total miles we did while either searching and evaluating tracks or walking in to take a look but it was a lot. the hunting party consisted of Myself, my wife, Rouan, PH Raphel, tracker Justin, parks ranger, and an appy PH in his 3rd year.

To be Continued....
PXL_20240902_113015883.jpg
PXL_20240902_120659457.jpg
PXL_20240902_160545361.jpg
PXL_20240903_034559157.jpg
PXL_20240903_043026211.MP.jpg
PXL_20240903_045940377.jpg
PXL_20240903_052522040.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 2: Up before sunrise and back searching for tracks and looking over various groups of ele. I found it amusing watching the newborns/young wand their antics. We had some close encounters with cows and young bulls. Witnessed a herd of buffalo that we estimated to be well over 200 strong with a few nice hard bulls amongst them spotted.
During lunch break at the main lodge my wife walked up to the second floor which provides a great view over the forest and discovered a bat trying to go unnoticed and out of the sunlight.
We closed out the day being grateful of the animals we seen which included ele, buffalo, warthog, steenbok and bushbuck. A beautiful sunset was just a wonderful nightcap.
PXL_20240903_155518121.jpg

PXL_20240903_073302040.jpg

PXL_20240903_073753412.jpg
PXL_20240903_104544718.jpg
PXL_20240903_152146907.jpg
PXL_20240903_155518121.jpg

PXL_20240903_142726433.jpg
PXL_20240903_073542653.jpg

Nice start to the adventure. Looking forward to the rest of the story...

Day 3 & 4: We followed our morning ritual of grabbing breakfast before sunrise, loading up on the truck and getting after it. The first two days of the hunt the temps were low due to a cold front moving through. I will admit that I wasn’t expecting it to be that cold in September nor did I bring the warmer clothes along but we found a bath towel to be worth it’s weight in gold when driving out in the early morning and returning back to camp once the sun set.

Today we all noticed that it wasn’t nearly as cold and during mid-day it was 90+ degrees. This increase in temperature had a lot more elephants on the move in search of food and water. Encountered several breeding herds throughout the two days.

We did come across some tracks that were thought to be a herd of bulls and warranted a closer inspection. After catching up with the group it was indeed a herd of 8 bulls. Best bull in the group was still young and carried 30-35lb. He will be a great bull several years down the road.

Bumped another large group of buffalo. When the wind is right they were very calm but once the wind shifted it was game over. A cloud of dust while piles of buff thunder off into the forest.

After lunch we stopped and looked at a couple elephant skulls while going over shot placement. We all agreed that a shoulder shot would be taken if presented but it was nice going over the frontal and side brain shots with a skull right in front of you. Pictures and video of shot placement can only do so much so I was grateful to see and hear the thoughts on bullet placement from PH Rafael.

Another day came to an end and tomorrow would be our last day in camp before heading back to Vic Falls for a couple days. Would luck be on our side? Stay tuned

PXL_20240903_034510284.jpg
PXL_20240906_153212127.jpg
PXL_20240905_081021343.jpg
PXL_20240904_072034086.MP.jpg
PXL_20240906_061524941.jpg
PXL_20240905_164523238.jpg

Picture of the tiny bat was unexpected but very cool.

You are very fortunate to be able to share these hunting experiences with your wife. Making lifelong memories together is wonderful.

Looking forward to the rest of the story.

On the fifth day, the moment of truth arrived. After checking one of the boreholes a large track was located, and the hunt was on. We spotted two bulls in the distance, and they were making their way towards the forestry area which we could not cross into. We made hast and the line of seven people filed in after the two bulls. We finally got a good look at both bulls and when your PH gets excited it’s time for you to start going through the possible scenarios dealing with shot placement.

Earlier on day one it was discussed that if I was presented with a shoulder shot that I would take it and both Rafael and Rouan would back me up if warranted. Well after some careful stalking, we started to close the distance. The first time the bull turned to check us out he was at about 70 yards. We kept following and the second time he was at roughly 50 yards. I figured he would stop but he just kept coming with his head up, ears out and tail straight. As I had this bull in front of me all the videos I watched and information I read about shot placement went out the window. All I could envision was the ele skull we studied the day prior and the words of Raphel and Rouan being “if he is facing you, just break the stick and you will hit the brain”.

The bull finally stopped at 36 yards, my Heym .470 NE was shouldered, loaded with 500gr CEB solids, as the bull dropped his head a bit, I picked a single spot on his trunk and touched off the right barrel. At the shot, the bull’s back legs collapsed, head swung up and piled up on the ground stone dead. We moved in and I put one behind his shoulder just for safety’s sake. Can’t explain in words the emotions when I laid hands on the bull but elation, sorrow, respect and honor all at the same time come to mind. As the event settled in for me, Raphel explained just how grand of a bull we had taken. He was on his last set of molars, sunken head, hardly any tail hair and the inside of his foot pads smooth as paper from the life of traveling.
PXL_20240907_055420750.jpg
PXL_20240907_060011260.jpg

Nathan, congratulations on a great trophy. Thanks for sharing your story. Love to hear more details at SCI.

The work of butchering started right after pictures were taken and we watched many locals show up and take the bull down to a gut pile and bones. What little meat was left on the carcass the 100+ vultures overlooking the scene would have cleaned up in five minutes or less.

PXL_20240907_085007672.MP.jpg
1000004124 (1).jpg
PXL_20240907_142757693.jpg

We all had our guess concerning the weight of ivory as they were thick and stubby, and everyone thought they would go over 45lbs for sure. Raphel felt due to the age of the bull he should have a short nerve but we all would have to wait until the tusks were pulled and taken into the parks to be officially weighed and stamped.

It wasn’t till we were in Zambia that I received a message with the picture of the tusks at the parks location along with the paperwork showing weight. 49lbs x 53lbs. Grand old bull indeed and an honor to have taken him quickly and cleanly.

Congratulations on a fantastic elephant. :D Beers:

Looking forward to more. :D Pop Popcorn:

Great report! Keep it coming!

Great bull!! I can’t imagine what it’s like putting hands on the elephant you have taken for the first time… what a range of emotions I’m sure!

Waidmannsheil @BnC 04 ! That is a gorgeous elephant bull! Well done!

On the fifth day, the moment of truth arrived. After checking one of the boreholes a large track was located, and the hunt was on. We spotted two bulls in the distance, and they were making their way towards the forestry area which we could not cross into. We made hast and the line of seven people filed in after the two bulls. We finally got a good look at both bulls and when your PH gets excited it’s time for you to start going through the possible scenarios dealing with shot placement.

Earlier on day one it was discussed that if I was presented with a shoulder shot that I would take it and both Rafael and Rouan would back me up if warranted. Well after some careful stalking, we started to close the distance. The first time the bull turned to check us out he was at about 70 yards. We kept following and the second time he was at roughly 50 yards. I figured he would stop but he just kept coming with his head up, ears out and tail straight. As I had this bull in front of me all the videos I watched and information I read about shot placement went out the window. All I could envision was the ele skull we studied the day prior and the words of Raphel and Rouan being “if he is facing you, just break the stick and you will hit the brain”.

The bull finally stopped at 36 yards, my Heym .470 NE was shouldered, loaded with 500gr CEB solids, as the bull dropped his head a bit, I picked a single spot on his trunk and touched off the right barrel. At the shot, the bull’s back legs collapsed, head swung up and piled up on the ground stone dead. We moved in and I put one behind his shoulder just for safety’s sake. Can’t explain in words the emotions when I laid hands on the bull but elation, sorrow, respect and honor all at the same time come to mind. As the event settled in for me, Raphel explained just how grand of a bull we had taken. He was on his last set of molars, sunken head, hardly any tail hair and the inside of his foot pads smooth as paper from the life of traveling.View attachment 635965View attachment 635966
Simply outstanding my friend!!!! I know how much hard work and practice you put in before this hunt!!! It paid off!!! Great picture of you and your lovely wife…I know she is proud of you!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emily33521

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?