Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
Is anyone familiar with this scope? It is less than half the price of the Conquest, and less than a Nikon Monarch too. So I am wondering why. If it has the same quality glass then it would seem to be a great deal. It 2-7 zoom with a simple reticle also appeals.

Thanks.

Don't own one but have checked them out. I believe the eye relief is not static like more expensive ones, pretty sure it is made In China or some lower cost place. Supposedly the glass is German "engineered", don't think it is manufactured there though.

Cheap scope with a quality name.... But if you like it better than the other brands in the same price range, buy it. It does have a good company standing behind it.

My buddy just put one on his deer rifle, he loves it. It seemed fine when we sighted his rifle in. It was a definite step up from his old scope and at last report he had three deer down already.
Ain't gonna hurt to try one, you can never have to many scopes for emergency applications anyhow!
Cheers,
Cody

Reports are that it is a step down from the Conquest. Should still be a excellent scope for the price range. For most people for general hunting purposes it should be fine. From what I've read I'd step up to the Conquest in the under $500 range for the 3X9. Bruce

Ya but would you mount it on a 375 bound for Africa?

I had a conquest got to Hell on me and a mark 4 looks, both good scopes. I had a Bushnell 4x sportview on a 7 mag when I couldn't afford any better that never changed no matter how I abused it! Go figure that one. Killed a lot of critters with that set up and it served me well. Break it out every now and then still just to shoot her.

Just not sure if I would want a "cheap" scope made in China I think on a dangerous game rifle.

I would tend to agree about DG. I was looking at it as an alternative to Nikon for general use.

I just bought a vortex this weekend, I'm gonna see how it holds up and tracks. The glass seems to be pretty good for the price point. I was planning on abusing it this week after work but I had to fly up to Wyoming to help some of my guys out. Gonna have to wait til next week I guess

Be interested in your findings

I just bought a vortex this weekend, I'm gonna see how it holds up and tracks. The glass seems to be pretty good for the price point. I was planning on abusing it this week after work but I had to fly up to Wyoming to help some of my guys out. Gonna have to wait til next week I guess

Which model? They seem to have quite a range. I would love to know your assessment

Which model? They seem to have quite a range. I would love to know your assessment
I got the Viper 1-4 PST, I will let you know what I think(for what that's worth)! Lol

For my eyes the Terra is overpriced. I have a now discontinued Conquest and for me there is no comparison, the Conquest blows the Terra out of the water.

I admit to drinking the Vortex kool aid when they first came out and own two Vipers(they are plain Vipers - not the HS or PST). In my opinion the eye relief is too short and while the glass looks great in the store, it comes up short in low light compared to the other scopes I own.

I would not put it on any rifle going to Africa.....or any other hunt.

Buy a quality scope. The ONLY way to get quality is to buy one that is NOT the bottom of the line-up in any brand. They will have better lens coatings and usually better quality glass also.

The Zeiss scopes do not have as much eye relief as some other brands and on a heavy kicker that matters unless you want scope ring eye.

Do yourself a favor and get a Leupold. They are more durable, have some of the best eye relief and excellent quality glass/coatings.

My 2 Cents and what my PH also stated when I told him my scope choices when we went.

Buy a quality scope. The ONLY way to get quality is to buy one that is NOT the bottom of the line-up in any brand. They will have better lens coatings and usually better quality glass also.

The Zeiss scopes do not have as much eye relief as some other brands and on a heavy kicker that matters unless you want scope ring eye.

Do yourself a favor and get a Leupold. They are more durable, have some of the best eye relief and excellent quality glass/coatings.

My 2 Cents and what my PH also stated when I told him my scope choices when we went.

I own three Leupold's, a VX-2, VX-R and a VX-3. They are excellent scopes. But I cannot agree with the blanket statement to just buy a Leupold. In addition to my Leupold's, Meopta's and one Zeiss I own a Burris and a Bushnell that I wouldn't hesitate to take on a hunt anywhere.

Your rifles, your hunt, your choice.

As I stated it was my 2 cents learned from many years hunting and being in a gun shop. I will say the Meopta scopes interest me, but if it is not broken do not fix it. I have seen several Zeiss fail but do own a pair of their mid range binos and love them. I have seen far too many Bushnells fail but have some of them on fun guns as well as Weaver and other brands.

Someone may want to hunt with a BSA(BSA= Back Slowly Away) or Barska etc. So be it. As I stated it was my 2 cents and I stand on buy a Leupold.

Your rifles, your hunt, your choice.

As I stated it was my 2 cents learned from many years hunting and being in a gun shop. I will say the Meopta scopes interest me, but if it is not broken do not fix it. I have seen several Zeiss fail but do own a pair of their mid range binos and love them. I have seen far too many Bushnells fail but have some of them on fun guns as well as Weaver and other brands.

Someone may want to hunt with a BSA(BSA= Back Slowly Away) or Barska etc. So be it. As I stated it was my 2 cents and I stand on buy a Leupold.

I respect your opinion, cannot go wrong with Leupold. I work the gun counter at Cabela's and as such sell firearms and scopes. I'm also the primary scope mounter at our store and have been mounting scopes for many years. I do like Meopta very much, like my Conquest and would also like to try Steiner.

I was getting whacked in the glasses just hard enough to induce a flinch with my 7mm and 300WSM. I have to agree with the eye relief comment because when hunting you may have to take a quick shot from an unusual angle and magnum eyebrow is painful. I bought a Nikon which was supposed to have 4" of eye relief, it had 3" so back it went. I bought last years Steiner Xtreme and couldn't be happier. Clear, has a real 4" releif, 70MOA adjustment, repeatable adjustments and holds zero with the light 300 short. The only negative is the tube is short so you may have to move the mounts to fit it.

Last year the guy sitting next to me on the way home had a large nasty cut on his eyebrow. A short eye relief Shepherd scope and a 300WM was the culprit. And the Shepherd has a rubber eyepiece, imagine a nice sharp steel one.

Just not sure if I would want a "cheap" scope made in China I think on a dangerous game rifle.

I was not aware, with all due respect, that Japan was located in China.

I looked through a Zeiss Terra 3-9x about 8 to 9 months ago and it was a nice scope, fairly priced, in our market, as an entry level Zeiss product. That being said, a higher level Zeiss scope would possibly make better sense on a DG rifle.

From what I can gather the Ziess Terra was assembled in America from components made by ziess. This was done to make the scope more affordable as German labour costs are thru the roof. The logic was if they could produce a quality scope at a cheaper price for the American market sales would go up.
I have had a 3-9×40 Terra an my Whelen for 3 years and never once had a problem with it. The duplex reticle is a bit heavier than the Leupolds and this suits my eyesight and style of hunting. Also great just before dawn and just after dusk.
If it was still made I would buy another but alas it isn't so I went for a meopta meopro and find it even better than the Terra.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyreetaRoh

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]