Zastava M70 Stainless in 7x64

Milan

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Alberta, RSA
This is mainly for those that were interested what it looked like when I mentioned it in 8x64 thread (or anyone else). So not to keep mudding 8x68 thread with 7x64...The sights I'm still working on. I did not like the factory ones. Front fell off and I did not want a folding leaf rear. The rifle has a B&C stock with aluminum bedding block.
IMG_1868.JPG

IMG_1869.JPG

IMG_1870.JPG

Looks like a good all weather rifle. The 7x64 is a fine round that will be good for most NA big game and african plains game. Let us know how it shoots.

Nice rifle and it looks to be bullet proof.

I thought it was going to be my ultimate hunting rifle. I have always wished for a rust-resistant Mauser.. Don't want coated metals, had that before, they are great but not like stainless or titanium. Also the owner lost the ball bearing for the safety so it took me a bit to source a similar one. However, I was disappointed how heavy and rough it is. Maybe I have to start working out and shoot the rifle more to smooth it out. Furthermore, while the open sights worked, they were too tall and flimsy for my taste. So I went to lower, soldered on piece on the front. But I did not measure (DOH) and ended up with too low a ramp on the front and now have a hard time matching the rear. But it does seem to shoot well and is slowly coming together (too many partially finished rifles get in the way). I will post more once I have it completed. It will never be a fancy, display worthy rifle but rather just a functional/practical tool. I have few of those and don't mind. Yet it is unique by being stainless. they did not make many.

I had one. Regret selling it. Yes, Zastava's are a rough rifle and need to be worked in (similar to BRNO 602'S). They are exceptionally accurate though. They are also pretty tough.

Well...I have since "polished" the action a bit. It is now as slick as I can make it and almost rivals my other "Mausers". Still need to do the sights. Getting the heights of front and rear right proved a bit difficult. Simple geometry, yet it seems like black magic is involved somewhere, LOL. Well mainly the issue is that they need to be taller than I like due to stock design (I'm used to more drop at the heel but that is a separate discussion altogether) and scope mounts being in the way. The rifle is not my priority so it's taking a long time, but it will get done. The stock was put on my son's Mauser and bedded and it works very well. This one now sits in a cheap rubber over-molded plastic Hogue stock. I know they are crap but they are durable, comfortable to shoot, warm to touch in the winter, do not slip and seem to hold zero as the action is quite tight in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renqizhihuo032

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?