Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Benefactor-Life NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC
Hunted
USA, RSA, Zambia
Part 1​

@spike.t (Mike) offered a deal in 2021 during Covid that was too good to be true, to hunt at his Takeri Private Reserve in Zambia. Unfortunately, work and airline schedules prevented me from taking that deal, as it was 3 days over, 10 days there, and 2 days back. Over the past year, I shortened the hunting days, so the trip was 2 days over, 6 days there, and 2 days back, which was workable with work schedules. I booked my flights with Qatar, since they were the cheapest, and as a bonus, offered Avios points, which turned out to be a huge mistake. I sent my gun paperwork to Qatar, but they could never find the documents, despite sending it repeatedly to them about 10 times. I called the USA telephone number, only to speak with someone in India every time. I sent the documents to PFCdoh@qatarairways.com.qa and received an auto-response each time. On the phone, the agent told me the gun was showing on the reservation, not to worry. I asked for written confirmation and was told to use the chat. I used the chat and the gentlemen on the chat said not approved as your Qatar flight from Johannesburg to Ndola was on another airline. I tried for several days to resolve the issue and could not. I hired Debbie Gracy, from Gracy Travel International, to get approval. She was able to get the approval for the Qatar-operated flights in 2 days. The problem/holdup was that the flight from Johannesburg to Ndola was a code share and Qatar will not approve code share flights. Debbie contacted Airlink to get authority on that flight. I had contacted Airlink several months ago for authority and advance payment of the firearm fee, and they said that Qatar had to enter the gun into their system as it was sold by Qatar. Qatar could not enter the firearm into the Airlink system. Lesson learned: do not buy a code share flight on Qatar with a firearm.

A few days before the trip, I went to the indoor range (Mission Ridge) to check my scope; one shot was all I needed to confirm. Clothes were sprayed with Permethrin, spare batteries and Picaridin bought and packed. Gun and Ammo packed (SAKO 85 Classic .375 H&H, Leica ER 2.5-10x42 scope, Norma Oryx 300g and Norma Woodleigh 350g), and Leica HD-B 10x42 Binoculars with a copy of my 4457 dated July 2023 in the gun case, along with RSA gun permit application.

On departure day (October 18, 2023), I loaded up my wife’s SUV and we made the long drive to DFW airport taking the scenic route (US 281). On arrival at DFW, Qatar would only check my luggage to Johannesburg but not the codeshare flight to Ndola because of the firearm where I would have to recheck my luggage, firearm, and ammo in Johannesburg.

I used the American Airlines Flagship First lounge for food and drink and then went to The Centurion Lounge to get dessert. I settled into my Q-suite business seat for the flight to Doha, Qatar. For a comparison, I was on a British Airways flight this summer and flew their “suite” seat. There is very little difference between the two seats. While the suite doors are not as high on the British Airways plane, there’s better leg room on the British Airways suite seat. Big difference between Qatar and British Airways is the food and service. Qatar wins that battle. Emirates still has better food and service, and their gun permit is super easy too. And in Dubai, UAE, you can get alcohol in the lounges, unlike Doha, Qatar during Ramadan.

On arrival in Doha, Qatar, I headed to the Al Mourjan Business Lounge as my Business class ticket included lounge access to shower, food, and drink to get ready for the next leg to Johannesburg that was a regular Business class seat. The leg room was better on the regular seat than the Q-Suite.

On Arrival at Johannesburg, I had a very, very long layover (6 hours and 40 minutes) for my Airlink flight to Ndola. Of course, I had to take care of the Airlink problem in rechecking everything, head to SAPS (South African Police Service) to claim my gun to get an RSA (Republic South Africa) transit permit. Here is the start of where “the best laid plan of mice and men often go awry.” The computer was down in the SAPS office, so they had to complete a handwritten gun permit. Thankfully, I had lots of time. Next to Airlink to check-in all my luggage. Went to the check-in counter and was able to check my bag, they tagged the firearm, then sent me to the ticket office to pay the firearm fee and obtain my boarding pass. At the ticket office, they could not find any notice that I was transporting a firearm, so I showed them the e-mail with the Airlink logo. They had to call the Ndola office and let them know, so they could contact the police in Zambia and advise them of the firearm. Once that was taken care of, they had an “employee” walk me to the firearm office so I could sign the book. Of course, he wanted a tip ($20 USD). Next, I went back thru Immigration, had another shower at the Bidvest lounge, had some food and drink and on to Ndola. Note: Avoid RSA, JNB and Airlink if possible. The plan was for me to arrive in Ndola mid-afternoon, as that would give me time to confirm the sight-in of the firearm so we could start hunting the next day. Upon arrival at Ndola, where I was to be greeted by Mike, some VIP arrived at the airport at the same time, causing Zambia Customs to check every bag coming off the plane. They went through my ammo box and wanted to charge duty on the Ammo. I explained to Mike on WhatsApp that they were wanting $200 USD Duty and VAT on the Ammo. He said don’t pay it and we argued about that with Customs for about an hour. Mike showed them the document from 2019 where duty is no longer payable on Ammo, but the Customs guy wanted something dated 2023. After a couple of calls to the head office in Lusaka, that problem was cleared. On to the next problem. The firearm had to be checked-in by the police. Two officers came with us to the police station. Once there, the chief checked the serial number, read out the serial number and said all was ok. Mike shook his hand and I thought we were ready to leave. While in the chief’s office, he told me I needed to pay the officers, I told him I was going to “tip” them outside and he said “no” right here in front of him. So, I had to pay three officers $20 each, including to one guy who was just sitting there and did nothing, but was in the room at the right time. Tips were paid and we were finally on our way. After a 3.5-hour drive, we reached Takeri after dark. Upon arrival at Takeri, as expected upon opening my suitcase, it had been opened somewhere along the line, as my toiletry bag was opened and interior compartments unzipped but nothing missing. The range will be the next morning. That evening, drinks and an excellent Sable Filet for dinner, with the meal serving sizes huge. I gained 5 pounds; I was hoping to lose 10 pounds. You will not go hungry at Takeri, nor thirsty, as lots of Mosi is available.

Part 2

Day 1, up for breakfast and then off to the range. The shot is a little low but good enough. We hop into the truck and start looking for game. In the truck are myself, Mike, and @PeteG (Peter), my PH for the hunt. Peter is an excellent PH, very personable and knows his animals. My targets are a big black Sable (Rowland Ward size), Kafue Lechwe, Puku and Chobe Bushbuck. While driving around, Peter shoots a Guineafowl with his 22 Hornet. Peter asks me if I want to shoot one and I use his 22, I pull the trigger and the round does not discharge. We then head to the flats to look for Kafue Lechwe. We spot three, one I really liked the markings on one, but Mike said we can do better. We later spot some Puku. Peter starts working us toward the Puku and sets up the sticks and I jerk the shot. I can see the dust kick up behind the Puku and I tell Peter I jerked the shot and missed, and he tells me it was a hit very low on the chest that opened up his chest and was a pass-through. We watch him and he lays down and we start a follow up stalk. Peter sets up the sticks and this time he is hit right in the shoulder, and after a short track, the Puku is in the truck. Rough measurement on the Puku is 14 inches. Back to camp and tasty huge lunch, in fact, way too much food. After lunch, we are looking for Sable. We spot a few, but none met our requirements. While driving back to camp, Peter spots a Reedbuck (which was not on my list) and says it’s a very large one. I ask him if I should shoot it and he said that I should. (When the PH says it’s big and to shoot it, you should.) Peter sets up the sticks and one shot right in the shoulder. A very short track and the Reedbuck is in the truck. The rough measurement on the Reedbuck is 14 inches. Peter thinks this will place at No. 5 in Zambia. That evening, drinks and dinner.

IMG_3390.jpg

IMG_3397.jpg

Day 2, we are up looking for Sable. As we are driving around, Peter asks if I want to try for a Guineafowl again with his 22. This time, the ammo discharges and a Guineafowl is in the truck. We make some stalks, and finally find a Sable, Peter set up the sticks, Mike gives the ok and one shot right in the shoulder and a very short track the Sable is in the truck. Rough measurement is 44”. I have been wanting a large Sable that would make Rowland Ward and that’s exactly what I obtained. Mike has a lot of Sable on his property. We saw many mature Sable and a lot of immature Sable; he will have some great Sable next year and beyond. Back to the camp for lunch. After lunch, we are looking for Bushbuck, driving around most of the afternoon. A bushbuck is spotted, and the stalk is on. Peter sets up the sticks and one shot and a very short track, the Bushbuck is in the truck.

IMG_3407.jpg

IMG_3419-2.jpg

Day 3, We are up looking for Lechwe, all day and spot none. Back to camp and sundowners (Gin & Tonic) around the fire, then dinner.

Day 4, We are again looking for Lechwe. We see a few and put some stalks on a couple but can never get in position for any shots. Back at camp for drinks and dinner.

Day 5, Back out looking for Lechwe. Today, we see several large herds. The Lechwe are very calm today, and we spot a big bull. We start with the stalk, and Mike gives the ok, Peter sets up the sticks. I had set the scope up earlier for 150 yards and this shot was closer to 200 yards or longer. I place the rifle on the sticks, take aim and miss. The bull does not go far. We continue our stalk, and Peter sets up the sticks again. This time, direct hit on the shoulder and another short track and we find him on top of an ant hill and into the back of the truck. Rough estimate is 28 inches, which is bigger than everyone thought. 30” is Rowland Ward. I’m very happy with 28 inches. After lunch, Peter and I walk down to the river for fishing. Peter sets up the equipment for bottom fishing for barbel catfish. I caught two catfish. That afternoon, I decide to shoot some Francolin for an appetizer. We are out on the truck. We spot some, fire and one bird in the truck. We drive a little further and see some more, another shot and another in the truck. We continue to drive, and we spot a large covey. I shoot and miss. I still have one barrel and I shoot again and bird’s down, a double. With the double, I manage four birds with four shot shells. My wife said I should shoot a Blue Duiker, so later that afternoon the truck drops us off and we are walking back to camp looking for Duiker. The tracker spots several, but I could never see them in the bush. We arrive in camp for drinks and dinner.

IMG_3431-2.jpg

Day 6, We are up very early looking for Duiker. We walk about 15 minutes from camp and Duiker are spotted. Peter says it’s right there, but I was not fast enough to get the shot off. We find its mate that came out a few feet away and Peter says shoot. One shot, and the Blue Duiker is down. The rest of the day we are just resting at camp. Lunch, beers, then drinks and dinner.

IMG_3441-2.jpg

Besides the animals that I took, I saw Kudu, Zebra, Hartebeest, & Python. There is one giraffe, but I never saw him. Mike’s camp consisted of two tents on concrete slabs, with an on-suite shower, WC, and sink, each tent with its own water heater overlooking the Kafue River. The main building houses the kitchen, dining room and bar. Takeri has a fire pit overlooking the river in the garden. I never saw any supplement feeding or water. Everything was self-sustaining. I did see some mineral blocks. The rainy season started early this year--we had rain every afternoon and some evenings & nights. It was hot and humid. I expected hot just not humid. The grasses were starting to sprout and the leaves on the underbrush were starting to green up. A week later and it would have been next to impossible to clearly see the animals. If you want to hunt big Sable or Kafue Lechwe, in a tented camp at a very reasonable price, Takeri is the place to go to in Zambia.

Part 3.

Travel Day, we make the 3.5-hour trek back to the Ndola Airport. On the way, I ask Mike if he can make a quick stop at the Dag Hammarskjold Memorial where his plane either crashed from pilot error or murdered by the KGB, or the CIA or MI6 or OAS or South Africa or Union Miniere or the Katanga Air Force. It seems lots of folks wanted him dead. The French OAS went as far to issue a death warrant for him, at least according to Wikipedia.

In Ndola, our first stop was back to the police station. This time, we made it without the large “tipping”. Different chief that day. The Police sign the gun out and next it’s back to Customs at the Airport. After a couple of trips to the customs officer, he approves the exit permit and now its check-in time at Airlink. First, it’s to the ticket office and once again Airlink cannot find the weapon in their system. I show them the email with their logo, and she makes a call and takes my money, gives me a slip to give to the check-in counter. At the check-in counter, they tag my luggage and firearm all the way to DFW. On arrival in Johannesburg, I head to the Transfer desk and the Qatar agent says that Airlink did not notify them of the gun, to take a seat and after he gets finished with everyone, he will get it resolved. The guy makes a call, prints out boarding passes and says someone will meet you in the lounge and take care of the paperwork. I head back to the Bidvest Lounge and sign all the Qatar paperwork. I board the Qatar flight back to Doha in a Regular business class seat. A very short layover in Doha and my next flight to DFW is a Q-Suite. Then a five-hour drive back home. Mike was taking trophies the next day to Bangweulu Taxidermy in Lusaka for “Dip & Pack” for their trip to the USA next spring, I hope.

Part 1​

@spike.t (Mike) offered a deal in 2021 during Covid that was too good to be true, to hunt at his Takeri Private Reserve in Zambia. Unfortunately, work and airline schedules prevented me from taking that deal, as it was 3 days over, 10 days there, and 2 days back. Over the past year, I shortened the hunting days, so the trip was 2 days over, 6 days there, and 2 days back, which was workable with work schedules. I booked my flights with Qatar, since they were the cheapest, and as a bonus, offered Avios points, which turned out to be a huge mistake. I sent my gun paperwork to Qatar, but they could never find the documents, despite sending it repeatedly to them about 10 times. I called the USA telephone number, only to speak with someone in India every time. I sent the documents to PFCdoh@qatarairways.com.qa and received an auto-response each time. On the phone, the agent told me the gun was showing on the reservation, not to worry. I asked for written confirmation and was told to use the chat. I used the chat and the gentlemen on the chat said not approved as your Qatar flight from Johannesburg to Ndola was on another airline. I tried for several days to resolve the issue and could not. I hired Debbie Gracy, from Gracy Travel International, to get approval. She was able to get the approval for the Qatar-operated flights in 2 days. The problem/holdup was that the flight from Johannesburg to Ndola was a code share and Qatar will not approve code share flights. Debbie contacted Airlink to get authority on that flight. I had contacted Airlink several months ago for authority and advance payment of the firearm fee, and they said that Qatar had to enter the gun into their system as it was sold by Qatar. Qatar could not enter the firearm into the Airlink system. Lesson learned: do not buy a code share flight on Qatar with a firearm.

A few days before the trip, I went to the indoor range (Mission Ridge) to check my scope; one shot was all I needed to confirm. Clothes were sprayed with Permethrin, spare batteries and Picaridin bought and packed. Gun and Ammo packed (SAKO 85 Classic .375 H&H, Leica ER 2.5-10x42 scope, Norma Oryx 300g and Norma Woodleigh 350g), and Leica HD-B 10x42 Binoculars with a copy of my 4457 dated July 2023 in the gun case, along with RSA gun permit application.

On departure day (October 18, 2023), I loaded up my wife’s SUV and we made the long drive to DFW airport taking the scenic route (US 281). On arrival at DFW, Qatar would only check my luggage to Johannesburg but not the codeshare flight to Ndola because of the firearm where I would have to recheck my luggage, firearm, and ammo in Johannesburg.

I used the American Airlines Flagship First lounge for food and drink and then went to The Centurion Lounge to get dessert. I settled into my Q-suite business seat for the flight to Doha, Qatar. For a comparison, I was on a British Airways flight this summer and flew their “suite” seat. There is very little difference between the two seats. While the suite doors are not as high on the British Airways plane, there’s better leg room on the British Airways suite seat. Big difference between Qatar and British Airways is the food and service. Qatar wins that battle. Emirates still has better food and service, and their gun permit is super easy too. And in Dubai, UAE, you can get alcohol in the lounges, unlike Doha, Qatar during Ramadan.

On arrival in Doha, Qatar, I headed to the Al Mourjan Business Lounge as my Business class ticket included lounge access to shower, food, and drink to get ready for the next leg to Johannesburg that was a regular Business class seat. The leg room was better on the regular seat than the Q-Suite.

On Arrival at Johannesburg, I had a very, very long layover (6 hours and 40 minutes) for my Airlink flight to Ndola. Of course, I had to take care of the Airlink problem in rechecking everything, head to SAPS (South African Police Service) to claim my gun to get an RSA (Republic South Africa) transit permit. Here is the start of where “the best laid plan of mice and men often go awry.” The computer was down in the SAPS office, so they had to complete a handwritten gun permit. Thankfully, I had lots of time. Next to Airlink to check-in all my luggage. Went to the check-in counter and was able to check my bag, they tagged the firearm, then sent me to the ticket office to pay the firearm fee and obtain my boarding pass. At the ticket office, they could not find any notice that I was transporting a firearm, so I showed them the e-mail with the Airlink logo. They had to call the Ndola office and let them know, so they could contact the police in Zambia and advise them of the firearm. Once that was taken care of, they had an “employee” walk me to the firearm office so I could sign the book. Of course, he wanted a tip ($20 USD). Next, I went back thru Immigration, had another shower at the Bidvest lounge, had some food and drink and on to Ndola. Note: Avoid RSA, JNB and Airlink if possible. The plan was for me to arrive in Ndola mid-afternoon, as that would give me time to confirm the sight-in of the firearm so we could start hunting the next day. Upon arrival at Ndola, where I was to be greeted by Mike, some VIP arrived at the airport at the same time, causing Zambia Customs to check every bag coming off the plane. They went through my ammo box and wanted to charge duty on the Ammo. I explained to Mike on WhatsApp that they were wanting $200 USD Duty and VAT on the Ammo. He said don’t pay it and we argued about that with Customs for about an hour. Mike showed them the document from 2019 where duty is no longer payable on Ammo, but the Customs guy wanted something dated 2023. After a couple of calls to the head office in Lusaka, that problem was cleared. On to the next problem. The firearm had to be checked-in by the police. Two officers came with us to the police station. Once there, the chief checked the serial number, read out the serial number and said all was ok. Mike shook his hand and I thought we were ready to leave. While in the chief’s office, he told me I needed to pay the officers, I told him I was going to “tip” them outside and he said “no” right here in front of him. So, I had to pay three officers $20 each, including to one guy who was just sitting there and did nothing, but was in the room at the right time. Tips were paid and we were finally on our way. After a 3.5-hour drive, we reached Takeri after dark. Upon arrival at Takeri, as expected upon opening my suitcase, it had been opened somewhere along the line, as my toiletry bag was opened and interior compartments unzipped but nothing missing. The range will be the next morning. That evening, drinks and an excellent Sable Filet for dinner, with the meal serving sizes huge. I gained 5 pounds; I was hoping to lose 10 pounds. You will not go hungry at Takeri, nor thirsty, as lots of Mosi is available.

Part 2

Day 1, up for breakfast and then off to the range. The shot is a little low but good enough. We hop into the truck and start looking for game. In the truck are myself, Mike, and @PeteG (Peter), my PH for the hunt. Peter is an excellent PH, very personable and knows his animals. My targets are a big black Sable (Rowland Ward size), Kafue Lechwe, Puku and Chobe Bushbuck. While driving around, Peter shoots a Guineafowl with his 22 Hornet. Peter asks me if I want to shoot one and I use his 22, I pull the trigger and the round does not discharge. We then head to the flats to look for Kafue Lechwe. We spot three, one I really liked the markings on one, but Mike said we can do better. We later spot some Puku. Peter starts working us toward the Puku and sets up the sticks and I jerk the shot. I can see the dust kick up behind the Puku and I tell Peter I jerked the shot and missed, and he tells me it was a hit very low on the chest that opened up his chest and was a pass-through. We watch him and he lays down and we start a follow up stalk. Peter sets up the sticks and this time he is hit right in the shoulder, and after a short track, the Puku is in the truck. Rough measurement on the Puku is 14 inches. Back to camp and tasty huge lunch, in fact, way too much food. After lunch, we are looking for Sable. We spot a few, but none met our requirements. While driving back to camp, Peter spots a Reedbuck (which was not on my list) and says it’s a very large one. I ask him if I should shoot it and he said that I should. (When the PH says it’s big and to shoot it, you should.) Peter sets up the sticks and one shot right in the shoulder. A very short track and the Reedbuck is in the truck. The rough measurement on the Reedbuck is 14 inches. Peter thinks this will place at No. 5 in Zambia. That evening, drinks and dinner.

View attachment 567016

View attachment 567017

Day 2, we are up looking for Sable. As we are driving around, Peter asks if I want to try for a Guineafowl again with his 22. This time, the ammo discharges and a Guineafowl is in the truck. We make some stalks, and finally find a Sable, Peter set up the sticks, Mike gives the ok and one shot right in the shoulder and a very short track the Sable is in the truck. Rough measurement is 44”. I have been wanting a large Sable that would make Rowland Ward and that’s exactly what I obtained. Mike has a lot of Sable on his property. We saw many mature Sable and a lot of immature Sable; he will have some great Sable next year and beyond. Back to the camp for lunch. After lunch, we are looking for Bushbuck, driving around most of the afternoon. A bushbuck is spotted, and the stalk is on. Peter sets up the sticks and one shot and a very short track, the Bushbuck is in the truck.

View attachment 567018

View attachment 567020

Day 3, We are up looking for Lechwe, all day and spot none. Back to camp and sundowners (Gin & Tonic) around the fire, then dinner.

Day 4, We are again looking for Lechwe. We see a few and put some stalks on a couple but can never get in position for any shots. Back at camp for drinks and dinner.

Day 5, Back out looking for Lechwe. Today, we see several large herds. The Lechwe are very calm today, and we spot a big bull. We start with the stalk, and Mike gives the ok, Peter sets up the sticks. I had set the scope up earlier for 150 yards and this shot was closer to 200 yards or longer. I place the rifle on the sticks, take aim and miss. The bull does not go far. We continue our stalk, and Peter sets up the sticks again. This time, direct hit on the shoulder and another short track and we find him on top of an ant hill and into the back of the truck. Rough estimate is 28 inches, which is bigger than everyone thought. 30” is Rowland Ward. I’m very happy with 28 inches. After lunch, Peter and I walk down to the river for fishing. Peter sets up the equipment for bottom fishing for barbel catfish. I caught two catfish. That afternoon, I decide to shoot some Francolin for an appetizer. We are out on the truck. We spot some, fire and one bird in the truck. We drive a little further and see some more, another shot and another in the truck. We continue to drive, and we spot a large covey. I shoot and miss. I still have one barrel and I shoot again and bird’s down, a double. With the double, I manage four birds with four shot shells. My wife said I should shoot a Blue Duiker, so later that afternoon the truck drops us off and we are walking back to camp looking for Duiker. The tracker spots several, but I could never see them in the bush. We arrive in camp for drinks and dinner.

View attachment 567021

Day 6, We are up very early looking for Duiker. We walk about 15 minutes from camp and Duiker are spotted. Peter says it’s right there, but I was not fast enough to get the shot off. We find its mate that came out a few feet away and Peter says shoot. One shot, and the Blue Duiker is down. The rest of the day we are just resting at camp. Lunch, beers, then drinks and dinner.

View attachment 567022

Besides the animals that I took, I saw Kudu, Zebra, Hartebeest, & Python. There is one giraffe, but I never saw him. Mike’s camp consisted of two tents on concrete slabs, with an on-suite shower, WC, and sink, each tent with its own water heater overlooking the Kafue River. The main building houses the kitchen, dining room and bar. Takeri has a fire pit overlooking the river in the garden. I never saw any supplement feeding or water. Everything was self-sustaining. I did see some mineral blocks. The rainy season started early this year--we had rain every afternoon and some evenings & nights. It was hot and humid. I expected hot just not humid. The grasses were starting to sprout and the leaves on the underbrush were starting to green up. A week later and it would have been next to impossible to clearly see the animals. If you want to hunt big Sable or Kafue Lechwe, in a tented camp at a very reasonable price, Takeri is the place to go to in Zambia.

Part 3.

Travel Day, we make the 3.5-hour trek back to the Ndola Airport. On the way, I ask Mike if he can make a quick stop at the Dag Hammarskjold Memorial where his plane either crashed from pilot error or murdered by the KGB, or the CIA or MI6 or OAS or South Africa or Union Miniere or the Katanga Air Force. It seems lots of folks wanted him dead. The French OAS went as far to issue a death warrant for him, at least according to Wikipedia.

In Ndola, our first stop was back to the police station. This time, we made it without the large “tipping”. Different chief that day. The Police sign the gun out and next it’s back to Customs at the Airport. After a couple of trips to the customs officer, he approves the exit permit and now its check-in time at Airlink. First, it’s to the ticket office and once again Airlink cannot find the weapon in their system. I show them the email with their logo, and she makes a call and takes my money, gives me a slip to give to the check-in counter. At the check-in counter, they tag my luggage and firearm all the way to DFW. On arrival in Johannesburg, I head to the Transfer desk and the Qatar agent says that Airlink did not notify them of the gun, to take a seat and after he gets finished with everyone, he will get it resolved. The guy makes a call, prints out boarding passes and says someone will meet you in the lounge and take care of the paperwork. I head back to the Bidvest Lounge and sign all the Qatar paperwork. I board the Qatar flight back to Doha in a Regular business class seat. A very short layover in Doha and my next flight to DFW is a Q-Suite. Then a five-hour drive back home. Mike was taking trophies the next day to Bangweulu Taxidermy in Lusaka for “Dip & Pack” for their trip to the USA next spring, I hope.
Congratulations on a successful hunt!

Thanks for sharing your great safari - you took some terrific animals. I was especially interested in your travel issues with Qatar and Airlink. I’ve read numerous posts about traveling on Qatar- most positive- but if you involve another airline whether it be American or Airlink things seem to take on a life of their own. I’m going next year and am willing to spend an additional 10 hours travel time each way to enjoy business class on Qatar- United and Delta have priced themselves out of my price range even though I have flown them previously- but I’m not sure all the aggravation is worth it. Hopefully by next year these issues can be sorted.
again congrats on a great safari and some wonderful trophies.

GREAT SABLE, PICT OF THE BUSHBUCK SHOULD BE ON CANVAS. CONGRATS.

Great report my friend. You are correct - that is a wonderful reedbuck. I am bitterly jealous. ;)

What a great sable and Lechwe as well. Congrats.

Congrats on a wonderful safari. Some awesome animals you put in the salt. Appreciate you sharing your adventure with us.

Wonderful animals you ended up taking. We are looking forward to our trip with Mike next year.

Glad to read about another happy hunter at Takeri. @spike.t really does have a special place with a nice variety of quality animals.

As bad as the issues with the airlines were, at least you didn’t have any delays or “lost” bags.

All wonderful trophies-congratulations on your success! Thank you for sharing especially the pictures

Nice trophies. Congrats on some fine animals. Sounds like you had a wonderful time despite the travel hassels. I really enjoyed Takari when I went a few years ago.
Bruce

Congrat
Part 1​

Part 2

View attachment 567016

View attachment 567017

View attachment 567018

View attachment 567020

View attachment 567021

View attachment 567022

Part 3.

In Ndola, our first stop was back to the police station. This time, we made it without the large “tipping”. Different chief that day. The Police sign the gun out and next it’s back to Customs at the Airport. After a couple of trips to the customs officer, he approves the exit permit and now its check-in time at Airlink. First, it’s to the ticket office and once again Airlink cannot find the weapon in their system. I show them the email with their logo, and she makes a call and takes my money, gives me a slip to give to the check-in counter. At the check-in counter, they tag my luggage and firearm all the way to DFW. On arrival in Johannesburg, I head to the Transfer desk and the Qatar agent says that Airlink did not notify them of the gun, to take a seat and after he gets finished with everyone, he will get it resolved. The guy makes a call, prints out boarding passes and says someone will meet you in the lounge and take care of the paperwork. I head back to the Bidvest Lounge and sign all the Qatar paperwork. I board the Qatar flight back to Doha in a Regular business class seat. A very short layover in Doha and my next flight to DFW is a Q-Suite. Then a five-hour drive back home. Mike was taking trophies the next day to Bangweulu Taxidermy in Lusaka for “Dip & Pack” for their trip to the USA next spring,
Congrats on a wonderful safari. Excellent trophies and thanks for sharing.
You have me thinking now about Zambia
!
congratulations on your hunt! I can’t help but know if you had used Travel Express none of your problems would have happened. This is experience talking. After reading what happened to you it is a lesson of not using an agency that easily can handle things. Yes I have used Qatar twice with Travel express making it easy with no problens

Great trophies and report. You did well, congratulations. Thanks for posting.

@wesheltonj thanks for the great write up....was good having you come hunt with us, and we were happy you got the animals you were looking for, even though the lechwe were spooky for 2 days you got it finally :A Thumbs Up:...and yeah apologies for the useless dipshit in charge of police at ndola airport....as you know I was ever so slightly pissed off with him.....I think he works from a script as he came out with exactly the same lines 2 years ago....but as you said luckily he wasn't there on departure, and it went very fast with the other guy in charge. The big problem with ndola airport is they don't have hunting people fly in there so don't know what to do.....and yup we were lucky with the rains doing their thing at night...well apart from the one time where you and Pete dived into the cruiser cab to take cover leaving me slightly exposed....just as well I took my poncho out :E Big Grin:....
Again great you got what you wanted and that you had a good time :D Beers:

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

I don’t think Travel Express would have made one bit of difference. It’s right there in the reservation. The problem is the Qatar and Airlink computers can’t “talk” with each other and handoff the firearm. And that a problem for codesharing.

I have my own theory on why, and suspect it’s the firearm fee that Airlink charges.

Image1698850714.686098.jpg

Wonderful safari, thank you for taking us along. (y)(y)

Very well done and congrats on some wonderful trophies! Traveling in Africa can get interesting in a hurry when weapons are involved. Glad you were able to get it all worked out.

HH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdalbertoC

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.