Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC
Hunted
Canada/Europe/Africa/14 US States
Anticipation was high as Zambia was a new location for us to visit and do a bit of hunting with @spike.t (Mike) on his Takeri property. We chose to fly Airlink out of Johannesburg directly into Ndola. Upon landing we noticed that the airport was very small and not many people were present, which was a welcome site versus piles of people and mass chaos. Getting through passport control and immigration was simple and painless. One thing I should mention is that Mike offered to lend his Mauser 30-06 to my wife to use during the hunt. So, with not having firearms to check surely expediated the process getting through the exit doors.
PXL_20240914_103339103.jpg
PXL_20240914_121433991.jpg

We have made several trips over to Africa and I can say driving in Zambia is on a whole new level of its own and best described as combat driving while taking fire. For about 30 minutes after leaving the airport there was a good highway but then it suddenly disappeared due to a new road was in the process of being completed. What was left for us to maneuver down was a cluster bombed dirt makeshift road. It was “unique” and actually kind of fun. After a few more turns and other roads, paths and trails, we arrived at Mike’s Takeri property. When we stepped out of the vehicle and looked around, we were a bit astounded. The camp is right on the Kafue River with lodging being tents on concrete pads with ensuite bathrooms/showers. Hard to believe we were in the bush with this level of comfort, but it was most welcomed and immensely enjoyed.
PXL_20240914_152100232.jpg
PXL_20240914_152046990.jpg
PXL_20240914_152413090.jpg

We were greeted by the camp staff and our PH Billy. After we had settled in, we spoke with Billy and Mike a bit about what animals my wife was interested in hunting. If my memory serves me correctly, she was looking for four species if presented with an opportunity. Plans were made for the morning and then it was time for dinner and a good night’s sleep. I will add that Ronald the chef was absolutely amazing with ALL the food he prepared for us. Game meat was always utilized for lunch and dinner dishes and fresh fruit ect for breakfast.

Breakfast at 5:30 and by 6 were all loaded on the truck and ready to roll. Billy did the driving while myself, my wife, Mike and 2 trackers road up top. After a quick stop at the range to check the rifle, it was time to take a drive around Takeri. One thing that we noticed immediately is that there are ant hills everywhere and in every size. Most small but some absolute giants were present as well. It wasn’t long into the morning that we started spotting game. Defassa waterbuck, Kafue Lechwe, sable and puku all had us in awe. We went around a bend and Mike and Billy noticed a good reedbuck which was deemed a good animal and with that the hunt was on and the first animal of the trip was down. If you have never hunted with Billy you must know he is obsessed with his photography and getting that perfect location, angle and backdrop. Mike and I had a good chuckle watching this ritual unfold.
PXL_20240915_070732876.jpg

After pictures were taken and the reedbuck was loaded it was back to hunting. Mike suggested taking a drive by the dam area and that’s exactly where the lechwe were found. After maneuvering the truck out of sight, a plan was made and once again a truly remarkable animal was down. Something worth mentioning is that Mike has the final say on the quality of animal that will be taken. We looked over several lechwe bulls that looked good to an untrained eye but after Mike glassed the animal over his verdict of “we can do better” was understood and very much appreciated. This standard held true for every animal taken.
PXL_20240915_080136306.MP.jpg

After dropping off the lechwe and reedbuck off at the skinning shed it was time for lunch and a brief rest before heading back out at 3pm. As we drove, I marveled at the giant ant hills and various trees and bushes growing on them. I was looking at one such hill and noticed something tucked away in a thicket that appeared to be some game animal but what? That’s when Mike informed us that the bushbuck love hiding on the ant hills. Going forward all ant hills got a good going over by my eyes. As luck would have it, just prior to heading back to the lodge for dinner a puku ram was spotted following a female. His dedicated attention to the female led to his downfall.
PXL_20240916_134151027.jpg
PXL_20240915_142717988.jpg

After another trip to the skinning shed it was dinner time and afterwards, we enjoyed a bit of bush tv (fire) and the lovely full moon.
PXL_20240918_025623332.NIGHT.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited by a moderator:
Whackin and stackin them really fast. Congrats on some nice animals.
Bruce

Excellent! Looking forward to the rest. Cheers :D Beers:

Well done!

Wow, what a great start. Congrats to both. Please keep it coming. (y)

Doing great so far.... :D Pop Popcorn:

We were up early this morning and heading to the lodge for a quick breakfast before loading up on the truck. Not having a “list” made the hunting a lot more relaxed and enjoyable. Taking what the bush provided seemed to be working just fine.

A few bushbuck rams were spotted this morning but after closer inspection they didn’t make the grade, and we kept searching. Just before we started to head back for lunch a ram and female were spotted on one of the ant hills (termite) mounds. Both Billy and Mike liked what they had seen and in after bushbuck ram we went. Took a while jockeying for a clear shot but turned out in our favor in the end.
PXL_20240916_061649721.jpg

After yet another great lunch it was time for some relaxing and maybe a nap. We did catch a few friends moving by during the heat of the day.
PXL_20240915_102253191.jpg
PXL_20240916_124208220.jpg
PXL_20240917_124239324.jpg

Back after it a bit after 3 and we decided to see if we could locate a good Defassa waterbuck. We had seen several over the course of the hunt but two we had a quick glimpse at really looked good and Mike was hoping to find them again. As we drove to a part of the property we hadn’t seen yet the trackers started pointing. It didn’t take long for the truck to stop and Billy’s driver door to swing open. His words of “lets go” left no doubt it was a good bull. The 30-06 loaded with 220gr bullets did well but the big bull required some finishing. Walking up to the bull I noticed they are a lot bigger body wise then they appear and their coat a pretty steely gray color.
PXL_20240916_155445299.MP.jpg

Off to the skinning shed we go and time to get ready for dinner but first an appetizer of fresh caught breaded fish bites. Soooo good!
PXL_20240915_164608717.jpg

I think every hunter has their nemesis animal that no matter how many trips you do, it just seems to slip your grip. For my wife that animal is a good sized boar warthog. In the morning, we would shift our focus to making an attempt to beat the odds on a warthog and also a Blue duiker. We had seen several duiker in the mornings and late evening while leaving and returning to camp, but they use the thick bush to their advantage. The fact they are about the size of an oversized Tennessee groundhog and move like the Flash is a whole new obstacle to overcome.

There are lots of warthog on Mike’s place and we had seen many, but most were sows with young ones or young boars. We did see one or two big boars but once you see them, they see you and there is a trail of dust left as they sprint off. The truck was stopped for a bit as we glassed some other animals when a sow stepped out on the two track about 70 yards in front of us. Shortly after a big boar stepped out and was completely unaware of our presence. We waited for the boar to walk off into the bush before making the decision to try an stalk him. Knowing how loud it would be with adding more people I decided to wait at the truck. Truth be told, I didn’t think they had a chance in hell of finding that boar again let alone getting a shot. Well, I would have to eat crow because about 30 minutes later I heard a shot and then the radio chatter. Off we went to locate the crew.

PXL_20240917_080331887.jpg

After the warthog was loaded, we were on our way back to the lodge when we spotted a bull sable standing off the road. As we headed in his direction, he started to move off but with a severe limp. We stopped and glassed the bull and the horrible time he was having trying to walk. In the past few weeks Mike has had some of the sable caught in snares and we feared the same for this bull. As we approached the bull he hobbled off into the bush and Mike told me to grab the rifle. Off the truck Mike and I went to dispatch the bull. One shot and he was done. Upon closer inspection we couldn’t find a snare and could only guess he got into a heck of a fight with another bull. He had several wound spots that looked like he got jabbed pretty good and was bleeding.

We decided to head back to camp early, and my wife choose to take the following day off from hunting. She would have a leisure morning, and perhaps do some fishing on the Kafue river later in the day but what shall I do tomorrow morning? For those that know me, know that I have never engaged in hunting plainsgame. Save an ostrich which I consider oversized upland bird hunting then plainsgame. Sure would be a waste of a perfectly fine morning to not take a drive and see what’s out and about.

Decisions, Decisions.

To be continued

Particularly love the bushbuck and puku. @spike.t has some good looking bushbuck somehow by hook or crook I’ve got to find a way to get over there and get one of those bushbuck, I want to full body mount one something awful.

Congratulations to your wife on some good shooting and trophies!

Did they have any idea on what kind of snake that was?

Beautiful bushbuck. It will really make a nice mount too. Many don’t have that much hair on their neck. Takeri seems to produce a lot of exceptional bushbuck.

We were up early this morning and heading to the lodge for a quick breakfast before loading up on the truck. Not having a “list” made the hunting a lot more relaxed and enjoyable. Taking what the bush provided seemed to be working just fine.

A few bushbuck rams were spotted this morning but after closer inspection they didn’t make the grade, and we kept searching. Just before we started to head back for lunch a ram and female were spotted on one of the ant hills (termite) mounds. Both Billy and Mike liked what they had seen and in after bushbuck ram we went. Took a while jockeying for a clear shot but turned out in our favor in the end.
View attachment 636575

After yet another great lunch it was time for some relaxing and maybe a nap. We did catch a few friends moving by during the heat of the day.
View attachment 636576View attachment 636577View attachment 636578

Back after it a bit after 3 and we decided to see if we could locate a good Defassa waterbuck. We had seen several over the course of the hunt but two we had a quick glimpse at really looked good and Mike was hoping to find them again. As we drove to a part of the property we hadn’t seen yet the trackers started pointing. It didn’t take long for the truck to stop and Billy’s driver door to swing open. His words of “lets go” left no doubt it was a good bull. The 30-06 loaded with 220gr bullets did well but the big bull required some finishing. Walking up to the bull I noticed they are a lot bigger body wise then they appear and their coat a pretty steely gray color.
View attachment 636581

Off to the skinning shed we go and time to get ready for dinner but first an appetizer of fresh caught breaded fish bites. Soooo good!
View attachment 636582

Fantastic bushbuck, congrats

I really enjoy hunting Bushbuck. Your wife's looks very nice. Always interesting finding them on the termite mounds. They make a great shoulder mount.
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linqinggou637

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?