gsdog1

AH senior member
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
Lifetime NRA, Lifetime SCI, NWTF, ARRL
Hunted
Lower 48, Alaska, Canada, and Mexico
Greetings all! And I got to typing and got on a role...

I wanted to pitch in about my recent boot investment, and 5th pair of Zamberlan boots. They don't pay me or send me free stuff, just thought I would share my experience and perspective on what I and most likely everyone else would consider an extraordinarily part of hunting equipment. Gotta keep Pete and Charlie happy! Left and right feet respectively. And I do consider boots to be an investment that's supposed to last long and work harder than I do. Yes, I am the "boot horse" of the family. hahaha!! I tend to get application specific gear, boots just like rifle platform's make and model, optics, and clothing. It's all important gear.

I've been hunting North America for decades, mostly east of the Mississippi for whitetails and turkey. Back in the day of pre-internet to the early days with Netscape browsers, local big box stores were it. I stumbled across Cabelas and have for the very most part been a die hard shopper with them. Rocky boots were it then, and they've come a long ways to current day. However, I was interested in something more stout for a North Slope barren ground hunt I was going on in Alaska. A long time friend, exceptional hunter, and mentor of mine had been on several Alaskan sheep hunts, and I picked his brain and read up as much as I could about hunting Alaska. His abject go-to was Scarpa. He's since passed away regretably. Very much like me, he found what worked and most likely would have stuck with the Scarpas.

Two things readily became apparent - rain gear and boots. To the "Nth" degree important. I was heading up there with what turned out to be an excellent outfitter. The outfit is run by a couple, both of which were, and still are, Master Guides in Alaska. Nothing what-so-ever to scoff at! Both were pilots as well, and just plain good people. They turned me on to a gear outfitter who also guides Alaska. Between all of them and my good friend, I started looking at the usual suspects when it comes to high end hunting / hiking / climbing grade boots. Not going to get into a hard and fast compare and contrast here, as there are many threads on that front. Stuff I looked at includes Zamberlan, Scarpa, Kennetrek, Lowa, Rocky, Crispi, etc. and in no certain order. And with absolutely no intended ill respect to any of them, it comes down to fit and application specifics for me.

I did my level best to find local stores that carried the brands I wanted to try on, and between Cabelas and REI I got most of them covered. As it turns out, I put on a pair of Zamberlan Vioz boots, and waltzed out of the store wearing them. They fit that well!! In particular the heel cup and arch support, not to mention toe room up front. I use them to this day, 10 years later, for working on the farm, around the yard outside the house, and when it is cold out but not brutal. They see hard duty and hold up great. And they are in great shape in terms of the cushion and support. All day on non-paved surface, no foot or back issues.

However, they weren't for Alaskan hunting. Especially tundra grade waves and swells on the North Slope, covered in slice and dice shale. I ordered a pair of Pamirs from Barney's Outdoor Sports Chalet. Awesome people BTW! They don't pay me either. Got my hands on them and promptly stuffed Pete and Charlie in the boots. Awesome fit! All the way around. I kept them, and have them to this day. Very technical grade boots, stiff to the point of being comparable to ski boots. Some exaggeration there, but not a lot.

Wore them indoors and outdoors at parks and afield, for months. There's really no break in period, as in it simply doesn't exist. I wore them on my caribou hunt, and they performed exceptionally well for me. And to this day after several other hunts, they still aren't "broken in" per se, or at least how most of us consider boots being broken in. Very rigid in terms of ankle, insole, and in particular arch support. The way there were meant to be.

I've subsequently bought boots Zamberlan has made and marketed for Western hunting, in particular mountain hunting. I have a pair of 981 Wasatch GTX RR boots, 966 Saguaro GTX RR's, and most recently 2092 Mountain Trek GTX RR's. The first two are closer to the Vioz than Pamirs, but great ankle support and definitely built for hard hiking in mountain terrain. The Trek boots are closer to the Pamirs, but smaller in profile.

The Saguaro boots are, at present, my go too mountain boot and will be going with me on my archery elk hunt this fall in western New Mexico, as well as an archery turkey hunt in the Yucatan. I bought the Trek boots as a colder weather hiking around the farm and a back up for next trips to Alaska next to the Pamirs.

For me:

Pro's
  1. Excellent fit for my feet! Heel cup and insole are made off the shelf like they were using my feet measurements.
  2. Everything here-in is "as advertised", which is probably the biggest Pro out there for anything we use in our endeavors.
  3. The higher end Zamberlan boots are re-sole-able for the life of the boots.
  4. Waterproof not just water repellant. As tested by me in Alaska, Ontario, Florida along with several other US Staes, and in the muck and mude of farm life. Standing in water hard grade testing.
  5. Exterior are tough as advertised. Scuffs rub out by and large, kept my feet safe when in close contact with shale and farm implements.
  6. Tech support the one, maybe two or so times I've called them, is excellent!
  7. Clean up and maintenance is straight forward, and not costly. Stay on top of it.
  8. Treads stand up to abuse, keeping them off pavement and the like they are still very much intact. They grip - sand, when hitting standing water, in soaked clay. Solid!

Con's
  1. Price. However, with my strongest emphasis, you definitely get what you pay for.
  2. The technical grade mountain boots are stiff to the point of being rigid. It takes a while for you to get used to the boot. Practically speaking they don't break in like you would a run of the mill hiking boot. If you are looking for an Alpine up 90* mountain sides type boot, this is a huge Pro.

Try the less technical hiking boots on and if you like them, give them a spin. If you still like them, get hunting boots, and if need be the technical versions. Based upon my experience, you will be very happy with them. Not for everyone based upon fit most of all.

The other thing I believe is important about this subject in general (hunting boots being equipment not fashion statements), is to find a retailer that carries the boot manufacturer your interested in and try them on for fit. Common sense for those of us with gray hair (lol). The online retailers I worked with were also well above par, and hunters themselves in the areas and type of game I was after. Very good insight based upon personal experience, not just parrots reading back the manufacturer's lables. When I bought the Pamirs from Barney's, I asked about issues with return upon having fit issues. Was told to stay indoors on carpet, try them out. If the fit wasn't right, send back and we'd collectively figure it out from there.

The Saguaro's and most likely my hands down go-to light hiking boots Merrell Moab's will be going with me on my first African Safari next September, 2024. Depending on what my mentors and responses to this thread tell me about hunting buff in Moz, I may take the Mountain Trek's may get the nod in lieu of the Moab's. Will see, and I will report back in with meaningful experience, up to and by all means including my safari.

Apologies for the long back story before getting to the point. I are engineer and canned right good. lol

Matt

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-09 at 6.55.41 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-04-09 at 6.55.41 AM Large.jpeg
    235.1 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Greetings all! And I got to typing and got on a role...

I wanted to pitch in about my recent boot investment, and 5th pair of Zamberlan boots. They don't pay me or send me free stuff, just thought I would share my experience and perspective on what I and most likely everyone else would consider an extraordinarily part of hunting equipment. Gotta keep Pete and Charlie happy! Left and right feet respectively. And I do consider boots to be an investment that's supposed to last long and work harder than I do. Yes, I am the "boot horse" of the family. hahaha!! I tend to get application specific gear, boots just like rifle platform's make and model, optics, and clothing. It's all important gear.

I've been hunting North America for decades, mostly east of the Mississippi for whitetails and turkey. Back in the day of pre-internet to the early days with Netscape browsers, local big box stores were it. I stumbled across Cabelas and have for the very most part been a die hard shopper with them. Rocky boots were it then, and they've come a long ways to current day. However, I was interested in something more stout for a North Slope barren ground hunt I was going on in Alaska. A long time friend, exceptional hunter, and mentor of mine had been on several Alaskan sheep hunts, and I picked his brain and read up as much as I could about hunting Alaska. His abject go-to was Scarpa. He's since passed away regretably. Very much like me, he found what worked and most likely would have stuck with the Scarpas.

Two things readily became apparent - rain gear and boots. To the "Nth" degree important. I was heading up there with what turned out to be an excellent outfitter. The outfit is run by a couple, both of which were, and still are, Master Guides in Alaska. Nothing what-so-ever to scoff at! Both were pilots as well, and just plain good people. They turned me on to a gear outfitter who also guides Alaska. Between all of them and my good friend, I started looking at the usual suspects when it comes to high end hunting / hiking / climbing grade boots. Not going to get into a hard and fast compare and contrast here, as there are many threads on that front. Stuff I looked at includes Zamberlan, Scarpa, Kennetrek, Lowa, Rocky, Crispi, etc. and in no certain order. And with absolutely no intended ill respect to any of them, it comes down to fit and application specifics for me.

I did my level best to find local stores that carried the brands I wanted to try on, and between Cabelas and REI I got most of them covered. As it turns out, I put on a pair of Zamberlan Vioz boots, and waltzed out of the store wearing them. They fit that well!! In particular the heel cup and arch support, not to mention toe room up front. I use them to this day, 10 years later, for working on the farm, around the yard outside the house, and when it is cold out but not brutal. They see hard duty and hold up great. And they are in great shape in terms of the cushion and support. All day on non-paved surface, no foot or back issues.

However, they weren't for Alaskan hunting. Especially tundra grade waves and swells on the North Slope, covered in slice and dice shale. I ordered a pair of Pamirs from Barney's Outdoor Sports Chalet. Awesome people BTW! They don't pay me either. Got my hands on them and promptly stuffed Pete and Charlie in the boots. Awesome fit! All the way around. I kept them, and have them to this day. Very technical grade boots, stiff to the point of being comparable to ski boots. Some exaggeration there, but not a lot.

Wore them indoors and outdoors at parks and afield, for months. There's really no break in period, as in it simply doesn't exist. I wore them on my caribou hunt, and they performed exceptionally well for me. And to this day after several other hunts, they still aren't "broken in" per se, or at least how most of us consider boots being broken in. Very rigid in terms of ankle, insole, and in particular arch support. The way there were meant to be.

I've subsequently bought boots Zamberlan has made and marketed for Western hunting, in particular mountain hunting. I have a pair of 981 Wasatch GTX RR boots, 966 Saguaro GTX RR's, and most recently 2092 Mountain Trek GTX RR's. The first two are closer to the Vioz than Pamirs, but great ankle support and definitely built for hard hiking in mountain terrain. The Trek boots are closer to the Pamirs, but smaller in profile.

The Saguaro boots are, at present, my go too mountain boot and will be going with me on my archery elk hunt this fall in western New Mexico, as well as an archery turkey hunt in the Yucatan. I bought the Trek boots as a colder weather hiking around the farm and a back up for next trips to Alaska next to the Pamirs.

For me:

Pro's
  1. Excellent fit for my feet! Heel cup and insole are made off the shelf like they were using my feet measurements.
  2. Everything here-in is "as advertised", which is probably the biggest Pro out there for anything we use in our endeavors.
  3. The higher end Zamberlan boots are re-sole-able for the life of the boots.
  4. Waterproof not just water repellant. As tested by me in Alaska, Ontario, Florida along with several other US Staes, and in the muck and mude of farm life. Standing in water hard grade testing.
  5. Exterior are tough as advertised. Scuffs rub out by and large, kept my feet safe when in close contact with shale and farm implements.
  6. Tech support the one, maybe two or so times I've called them, is excellent!
  7. Clean up and maintenance is straight forward, and not costly. Stay on top of it.
  8. Treads stand up to abuse, keeping them off pavement and the like they are still very much intact. They grip - sand, when hitting standing water, in soaked clay. Solid!

Con's
  1. Price. However, with my strongest emphasis, you definitely get what you pay for.
  2. The technical grade mountain boots are stiff to the point of being rigid. It takes a while for you to get used to the boot. Practically speaking they don't break in like you would a run of the mill hiking boot. If you are looking for an Alpine up 90* mountain sides type boot, this is a huge Pro.

Try the less technical hiking boots on and if you like them, give them a spin. If you still like them, get hunting boots, and if need be the technical versions. Based upon my experience, you will be very happy with them. Not for everyone based upon fit most of all.

The other thing I believe is important about this subject in general (hunting boots being equipment not fashion statements), is to find a retailer that carries the boot manufacturer your interested in and try them on for fit. Common sense for those of us with gray hair (lol). The online retailers I worked with were also well above par, and hunters themselves in the areas and type of game I was after. Very good insight based upon personal experience, not just parrots reading back the manufacturer's lables. When I bought the Pamirs from Barney's, I asked about issues with return upon having fit issues. Was told to stay indoors on carpet, try them out. If the fit wasn't right, send back and we'd collectively figure it out from there.

The Saguaro's and most likely my hands down go-to light hiking boots Merrell Moab's will be going with me on my first African Safari next September, 2024. Depending on what my mentors and responses to this thread tell me about hunting buff in Moz, I may take the Mountain Trek's may get the nod in lieu of the Moab's. Will see, and I will report back in with meaningful experience, up to and by all means including my safari.

Apologies for the long back story before getting to the point. I are engineer and canned right good. lol

Matt
Hey Matt, I should have read this post first. It answered my questions about what you were doing on the North Slope. Definitely hunting. Thanks for all this information. Footgear is definitely critical …and each adventure has different requirements about what is important. Sue.

Hey Matt, I should have read this post first. It answered my questions about what you were doing on the North Slope. Definitely hunting. Thanks for all this information. Footgear is definitely critical …and each adventure has different requirements about what is important. Sue.
Shouldn't you be writing your second book for us? ;).

Shouldn't you be writing your second book for us? ;).
Right now I’m spending my days in the closet. Literally! . My walk in closet is my recording studio and I’m recording Cries of the Savanna into an audiobook. Yikes! What a project. Anyway, I am going to start a second book BUT please don’t hold your breath. I’m a slow writer compared to others who whip out book after book.

Hey Matt, for some reason I couldn't post this picture in the DM. This is the tsetse fly trap that Catherine Robertson told me about. This is the picture that she sent me. Sue

323269230_1281349502595803_2399952988230805643_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaemswarren

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt