Winchester Mod 70 back from Pre-64

Shako Badhan

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Europe
I recently received my pre 64 model 70 back from Pre-64. I had always liked the pre 64 rifles but didn’t know how well a vintage rifle would hold up in an accuracy dependent. Last year I heard about Pre 64 and decided to find a rifle to send them. Luckily a local shop and just bought a large collection of pre 64 models 70s and to was able to easily find a candidate.

The rifle was manufactured in 1948 in 270 and in overall good condition. I sent it out to Pre 64 to have the barrel swapped to a period 30-06 barrel, the action bedded and the action blueprinted. It also got reblue.

I received it back after about 7 months and couldn’t be happier with the results. Not only does the rifle look great but it shoots great as well. I’m getting sub MOA groups with all the quality factory ammo I’ve tired so far. Below are some pictures I remembered to take, in this case a .75 MOA group with Hornady SST 165gr.

Long story short if you have a pre 64 that needs a restoration or you want to find one to send in I can highly recommend pre64win.com

DDCF355C-1A9B-46AE-8708-D45BE8E8C060.jpeg

I recently received my pre 64 model 70 back from Pre-64. I had always liked the pre 64 rifles but didn’t know how well a vintage rifle would hold up in an accuracy dependent. Last year I heard about Pre 64 and decided to find a rifle to send them. Luckily a local shop and just bought a large collection of pre 64 models 70s and to was able to easily find a candidate.

The rifle was manufactured in 1948 in 270 and in overall good condition. I sent it out to Pre 64 to have the barrel swapped to a period 30-06 barrel, the action bedded and the action blueprinted. It also got reblue.

I received it back after about 7 months and couldn’t be happier with the results. Not only does the rifle look great but it shoots great as well. I’m getting sub MOA groups with all the quality factory ammo I’ve tired so far. Below are some pictures I remembered to take, in this case a .75 MOA group with Hornady SST 165gr.

Long story short if you have a pre 64 that needs a restoration or you want to find one to send in I can highly recommend pre64win.com

View attachment 508346
Glad it worked out for you! I’ve been thinking about a pre 64 a lot lately and had looked at their website. It’s good to read about someone’s experience with them

That rifle looks great, and appears to shoot just as great also! Thanks for letting us know about Pre 64, and I am curious about two things:

1. Why did you choose to change the caliber from 270 to 30-06; any particular reason?
2. You mentioned a local gun shop that bought a large collection of Pre-64's from which you purchased this gun. Care to share their contact info in case any of the other members want to see what they have available?

Cheers, and Happy New Year! :)

That rifle looks great, and appears to shoot just as great also! Thanks for letting us know about Pre 64, and I am curious about two things:

1. Why did you choose to change the caliber from 270 to 30-06; any particular reason?
2. You mentioned a local gun shop that bought a large collection of Pre-64's from which you purchased this gun. Care to share their contact info in case any of the other members want to see what they have available?

Cheers, and Happy New Year! :)

Of course I would be happy to answer your questions. As to the first I love 270 but I wanted a bit more power in the round, the bore was also not in as good shape as I would have liked and a period correct barrel was available.

As to the second question I’m happy to share. The shop is called Mid South Guns, located in NC. They don’t do online sales and don’t have a website. However it’s something of an Aladdin’s cave with an unassuming store front but packed with vintage classics at very good prices. The Holland and Holland royals just down the shelf from camouflage pump guns. Always worth a visit.

Of course I would be happy to answer your questions. As to the first I love 270 but I wanted a bit more power in the round, the bore was also not in as good shape as I would have liked and a period correct barrel was available.

As to the second question I’m happy to share. The shop is called Mid South Guns, located in NC. They don’t do online sales and don’t have a website. However it’s something of an Aladdin’s cave with an unassuming store front but packed with vintage classics at very good prices. The Holland and Holland royals just down the shelf from camouflage pump guns. Always worth a visit.
Gotcha, and thanks for that insight. Sounds like my favorite kind of gun shop; too bad I'm located in north Texas, but maybe I'll stop by there if I make it to NC someday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArmandoQue

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!