Winchester 1917 .458 win mag to Lott

adkennedy03

Reaction score
Not too long ago I picked up a Winchester produced M1917 that was made into a 458 win mag in 2002. Me being me I’d sure like to have it converted to a 458 Lott. Biggest thing I’m a little stuck on is the magazine box and follower. As of right now the rifle still doesn’t feed perfectly due to the follower being designed for .30-06 and with the Lott it’ll be too short as well. It’s in nice shape but I’m more than likely going to restock it. Any help would be appreciated.

413EA86A-58DA-461F-B0FB-F5EAE5621F20.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not too long ago I picked up a Winchester produced M1917 that was made into a 458 win mag in 2002. Me being me I’d sure like to have it converted to a 458 Lott. Biggest thing I’m a little stuck on is the magazine box and follower. As of right now the rifle still doesn’t feed perfectly due to the follower being designed for .30-06 and with the Lott it’ll be too short as well. It’s in nice shape but I’m more than likely going to restock it. Any help would be appreciated.

View attachment 540614
Based on my limited experience, a Magnum follower, as in .375 H&H, .458 Win Mag, etc is essential.The proper geometry is important.
The larger circumference cartridge, needs a different geometry, to stack the cartridges in the magazine in an equilateral triangle.

This and the feed rails on the action will need to be modified for the Herr Paul Mauser’s design, to insure proper feeding.
Find a gunsmith that understands this.

Based on my limited experience, a Magnum follower, as in .375 H&H, .458 Win Mag, etc is essential.The proper geometry is important.
The larger circumference cartridge, needs a different geometry, to stack the cartridges in the magazine in an equilateral triangle.

This and the feed rails on the action will need to be modified for the Herr Paul Mauser’s design, to insure proper feeding.
Find a gunsmith that understands this.
It’s not difficult, just get the right parts (follower). Been through this on a converted Mauser 98, had to sort out the magazine and feeding.

Focus on the magazine and cartridge geometry, as I understand that the Enfield CRF action was based on the 1903 Springfield, based on the Mauser 98.

View attachment 540614
@adkennedy03
Easy as mate. You can get a 375H&H mag box off ebay for around 75 bucks. Just google M17 Enfield parts. Then have a good gunsmith remove the required metal front the rear of the action and alter the bolt stop. Try a P14 303 Brit mag follower may work. The Lott will fit with only minor work.
Bob

I'm sure Bob is right about the job only requiring minor work. The problem I see is with parts availability. A few years ago parts were common and plentiful. These days, not so much. In fact downright scarce unless your lucky. The old surplus parts appear to have been exhausted and of course no one is making new ones. Its sad because it was a brilliant action. Much the same thing for several newer, but not current, rifles. Manufacturers aren't producing the quantity of spare parts for maintenance and so when something goes out of production holdings of available parts evaporate quickly. Just look at the difficulties in get CZ550 magnum action parts (let alone Brno 602). You might get lucky or more likely send a lot of time without.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DollyArons

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!