Why do almost all African safari operators and taxidermy shops insist on being paid by wire transfer?

Arthur Dillon

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
Hunted
USA, South Africa
Hello fellow hunters. Why do almost all African safari operators and taxidermy shops insist on being paid by wire transfer? This is the 21st century, 2021. Wire transfers from my bank take 2 visits to the bank, plus 2 "verification" phone calls, and cost $60. Inefficient, a waste of time and energy. I have repeatedly asked why not use credit cards, and have not yet received a sensible answer.

Many are now accepting credit cards. I've used my credit union and my bank for wire transfers to RSA for hunts and taxidermy, one visit and done. No comment on your "bank".

I have a good friend who is a safari operator in RSA. The credit card company takes 7% on the credit card transaction. With cc fees, bank fees on top and government he loses 10% off the top if a credit card is used.

You need to get another bank. An international wire transfer takes less than 10 minutes with mine - over the phone.

Vendors do typically get hammered by international CC purchases.

I tried to wire money from my local bank just a couple months ago and they acted like it was gonna take an act of congress on top of a bunch of names and addresses , routing and account numbers, US banks that were affiliated with the African banks, blah blah blah. I think the people at my particular bank are morons and cannot figure out how to do it. I gave them every piece of info they requested then they claimed they wanted some other number or something.
Another bank that knew what they were doing could have done it very easily but there are gonna be fees. My bank wanted $30 I think

Last edited:
I’m probably one of the least hi-tech guys on this forum with the exception of @tarbe and I wire transfer from my iPhone and it is pretty simple. Might be different if you are banking at Banco de Mayberry!

I have a good friend who is a safari operator in RSA. The credit card company takes 7% on the credit card transaction. With cc fees, bank fees on top and government he loses 10% off the top if a credit card is used.
Ah! There is the answer. Thank you !!!

I tried to wire money from my local bank just a couple months ago and they acted like it was gonna take an act of congress on top of a bunch of names and addresses , routing and account numbers, US banks that were affiliated with the African banks, blah blah blah. I think the people at my particular bank are morons and cannot figure out how to do it. I gave them every piece of info they requested then they claimed they wanted some other number or something.
Another bank that knew what they were doing could have done it very easily but there are gonna be fees. My bank wanted $30 I think
Indeed. I need a new bank. Enterprise Bank are idiots.

I’m probably one of the least hi-tech guys on this forum with the exception of @tarbe and I wire transfer from my iPhone and it is pretty simple. Might be different if you are banking at Banco de Mayberry!
Yes, of course, that's me, "banco de mayberry". Thanks.

There are few thngs more valuable than a friendly and competent banker. I have been with mine for 18 years.

While I actually have to walk into my bank to send a wire transfer it only takes a few minutes to do so.

Just last month I sent in a payment for my upcoming safari and handed the clerk a page of paper that had all the wire transfer information on it for the outfitter, then the 20 questions started. How did you get this information? Was it through a email or somewhere else? Do you know these people personally? What's it for?

I then just handed her the receipt from the last transfer and a few minutes later it was finished.

In today's world and with me being close to 70 I believe that she was just making sure that I knew what I was doing instead of sending a few thousand dollars to some guy that called me on the phone or from a email from a Nigerian Prince offering me millions for a couple thousand dollars.

I’ve done wire transfers for >$28K to pay off some of my African bills…wire transfer fee of $25 on my side…a 2-3%+ CC fee or more is not insignificant.

Good luck on using a CC anywhere for any amount in Zim. Not saying it can’t be done or isn’t done but it’s always been cash only in my experience, USD preferred.

For South Africa, I’ve paid off my debt (KMG) with a CC. If I remember, one wouldn’t process and ended up pulling out a different company (MC vs VISA vs AMEX), don’t rely on just one.

Some of our cards don’t charge international fees on our side but there is a charge on the vendor side. For example, I have paid dip and pack fees in South Africa with a CC, but they also charged me for the fee they incurred on their end. Wire transfer was cheaper.

Join a credit union, fees are much lower and simple to process a wire transfer either in person or over the phone, I’ve done it both ways. Processing another wire Monday for a hunt in Spain in December.

They know me too well @ my Credit Union. I do like to go in person, I’ve had to help some of the more inexperienced agents through the process including converting USD to Euro, not kidding!

Good advice from others here already. I had to do a wire transfer for the deposit on my hunt, but a credit card payment on site paid the balance. Dip and pack services required a transfer too, but it was an easy, quick process. I spent more time answering questions from my banker - genuine, happy-for-me questions - than the actual paperwork took.

My bank charges $30. I keep the wire form on my computer and fill it out and sign it and then drop it off at the bank. Done!
Maybe try a different bank.
Credit cards charge around 3% and many are taking cards now but it costs them money.

I took the statements to my bank. They entered the info, had me confirm everything looked right and sent the wire.
My bank charges $75 per wire transaction but if you are a “preferred” customer, it’s free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheronFahe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?