Which Trophy Method Of Measurement Should I Use?

UKHunter

AH fanatic
Joined
May 28, 2013
Messages
968
Reaction score
1,865
Media
120
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
3
USA/Canada
1
Europe
5
Hunted
England, Scotland, Wales, Poland, South Africa, Spain, Germany, USA (Wyoming) and Hungary.
Gents,

I have a 11.6" Springbok, 21" Impala and a 13" Warthog expected to arrive before Christmas. My question is who should I use to measure my trophies? I have seen the minimums for Rowland Ward and my Warthog should make that, so I think thats what i'll do with him. What about the others? SCI or CIC?

Tom
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tom! Not a easy question to answer, do you belong to any of the above mentioned orgs? Rowland Ward is surely the oldest one of these around, SCI has a different method and in most species would represent a more representative picture of you animal.eg you Springbuck may lack lenght, but have great horn basis, this may put him in the SCI classifications. No matter which one you choose, your trophies are much more than just a measurement(y) Cracker of a warthog! Congrats!
 
I don't belong to any of the organisations mentioned. I have my heart set on Rowland ward for the Warthog, but I'm not sure which of the others to use. Which one carries more backing, meaning? I agree they are more than just a measurement and i have a few would be trophys i have taken here in England but i thought they would add something extra to my first trip.
 
Tom, my honest opinion is that getting into any book is a personal thing. If I were you I would go the RW route. You are after all in the UK;) Another way to look at it is that few PH's set SCI minimums as their personal goal when hunting with a client, simply because if it makes RW it will surelly make SCI.
 
Agree with Tokkie, when you you make Rowland Ward you usually score well on SCI.
 
The SCI measuring system is set up so more will make their book. Think about it - you have to be a member of SCI, pay an entry fee and then they pitch you on the rings, doodads, grand circles, world slams, etc.

SCI is a for-profit enterprise.

Look at the minimums required between the two . . . .
 
Agree with Tokkie, when you you make Rowland Ward you usually score well on SCI.


If you make Rowland Ward you will easily score well in SCI.
 
Very nice hog sir. So is a 21 inch impala but I think 23 inches is where you need to be for the books on that.
 
The SCI measuring system is set up so more will make their book. Think about it - you have to be a member of SCI, pay an entry fee and then they pitch you on the rings, doodads, grand circles, world slams, etc.

SCI is a for-profit enterprise.

Look at the minimums required between the two . . . .

All that "Profit" is what SCI uses to keep YOU hunting. How many other organizations can claim to help both hunters and wildlife 1/10 as much as SCI. I don't know much about Roland Ward or CIC, do they do anything other than keep records of game?

The best bang for your buck is definitely SCI, simply to support an organization committed to supporting us all, whether we are members or not.
 
Very nice hog sir. So is a 21 inch impala but I think 23 inches is where you need to be for the books on that.

I believe impala is 23 5/8" R&W and Springbok is 14"
 
I stand corrected. At the end of the day it's the memories that count. Hope you will share a picture of the trophies when you get them home UKhunter.
 
Thank you for all the replies. They should be here before Christmas, so i will be sure to load a few pictures up. I have a friend who is a measurer for CIC and Rowland Ward so i was thinking that route but now i will have do to some more research between SCI and CIC
 
score them on the memory , measure them on the effort.
enjoy the trophy for what it is and how you got it , with whom was with you , and journey that it was .
 
score them on the memory , measure them on the effort.
enjoy the trophy for what it is and how you got it , with whom was with you , and journey that it was .

Look at you - Bluey the philosopher :)
 
score them on the memory , measure them on the effort.
enjoy the trophy for what it is and how you got it , with whom was with you , and journey that it was .

:A Way To Go::D Beers:
 
Tom, my experience RW most objective to trophy size,even if one of pair is lost or broken. SCI -light to get medal,but not gold...CIC- score not for African trophies,measuring requirements for warthog all four tusks (lower and upper) if one of them shorter makes losts. 13inch mybe bronze.For hors most important span.Narow 61inch kudu cant get bronze...
 
Gents,

I have a 11.6" Springbok, 21" Impala and a 13" Warthog expected to arrive before Christmas. My question is who should I use to measure my trophies? I have seen the minimums for Rowland Ward and my Warthog should make that, so I think thats what i'll do with him. What about the others? SCI or CIC?

Tom

Measuring trophies is an added dimension of the hunting experience for me. It helped me to understand the quarry I am after and what is actually a mature trophy and also what is a very rare trophy.
My goal is to chase Rowland Ward Minimums. Just


Measuring, use them all. It is a useful exercise to pull out your own tape measure and follow the instructions. The methods are all available for your review.
The SCI and RW methods on the same species are quite similar.

Here is the link to the SCI methods/forms:
http://www.scifirstforhunters.org/recordbook/forms

An SCI example for Spiral Horns.
method 2 spiral horn SCI.jpg


For Rowland Ward just measure the length along the longest horn (one horn).

If you are wanting to officially register your trophy in the record books of the various organizations you will have to decide if you want to part with the money. Membership, measuring, registration, etc.

Have fun.
 
As a official measurer for the Pope & Young Club and the Longhunters Association, I prefer SCI over Rowland Wards because it measures both horns for length and also gives credit for mass which I think is important.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,331
Messages
1,573,212
Members
169,723
Latest member
DominiqueY
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top