Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, GSCO
Hunted
Saskatchewan, South Africa, Zimbabwe, 30 US states and counting
For me, it's hard to imagine a trip without some kind of DG on the menu. I find myself taking incidental PG that is above average but ONLY if I'm not on tracks for DG. I just keep coming back for mostly buff and elephant and my 2 trips booked for next year will continue that trend. I love the tracking of DG and the multiple stalks where the wind changes and you start over again...or you get close and there's no shot...and you keep thinking about the next opportunity to get close. I was also surprised how much I enjoyed stalking big crocs around the weeds and water's edge this year. I find that more enjoyable than baiting. I will do that again next year as well. I could find myself addicted to the long walks after big eland but I'm trying to resist that siren's call after taking what might have been a top 10 Livingstone's this year. I'm also trying to avoid the collector's itch for other spiral horns...that's a long expensive road and I have some nice ones but don't need that itch!

It's nice to hear though what draws regulars back to Africa. Sometimes it's the kudu...sometime the eland...sometimes the warthog...what draws you back and you want to get one every time? What is it about that species that speaks to you? Also curious to hear what is calling to you but you are resisting like my comments above? What's pulling on you?

For me, it's hard to imagine a trip without some kind of DG on the menu. I find myself taking incidental PG that is above average but ONLY if I'm not on tracks for DG. I just keep coming back for mostly buff and elephant and my 2 trips booked for next year will continue that trend. I love the tracking of DG and the multiple stalks where the wind changes and you start over again...or you get close and there's no shot...and you keep thinking about the next opportunity to get close. I was also surprised how much I enjoyed stalking big crocs around the weeds and water's edge this year. I find that more enjoyable than baiting. I will do that again next year as well. I could find myself addicted to the long walks after big eland but I'm trying to resist that siren's call after taking what might have been a top 10 Livingstone's this year. I'm also trying to avoid the collector's itch for other spiral horns...that's a long expensive road and I have some nice ones but don't need that itch!

It's nice to hear though what draws regulars back to Africa. Sometimes it's the kudu...sometime the eland...sometimes the warthog...what draws you back and you want to get one every time? What is it about that species that speaks to you? Also curious to hear what is calling to you but you are resisting like my comments above? What's pulling on you?
Me too. I had to go back for another buffalo. I really can't see Africa without DG. I do enjoy hunting PG as well, but no one species draws me back the way buffalo do.

Tracking hunts; buffalo, elephant, eland. A true tracking hunt for a wild lion would be a huge draw.

That's a good point and might capture better what I was thinking...real tracking hunts are a lot of fun. I love tracking DG and eland. The common denominator is the tracking itself. I love the anticipation of getting closer and watching the tracks freshen. Is he in front of you or is he circling AGAIN?

Yea Mark...after we talked this summer, I knew you were going to be doing more DG. Good for you.

Which species draws you back to Africa?​

For me it is the new species that I did not hunt yet. Anyway you look, Africa cost money and time, and I want to experience as much as possible each time. So, something new to hunt next time.

I get that. Sometimes I also think I want to see DG in new places and that's not a bad plan either.

Yep, I’ve hunted buffalo in Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa and Zimbabwe. Fun to see different terrain hunting buff!

Yep, I’ve hunted buffalo in Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa and Zimbabwe. Fun to see different terrain hunting buff!
Have you thought about Uganda? WTA had a hosted hunt special for around 17k including the charter! If not for having plans already, I considered it. Great place to look for a scrum cap.

Bushpig and a giant warthog. We spent 2 laaate nights after bush pigs and shot a couple warthogs but no walhangers. They are what make me want to go back. That will be combined with a buffalo hunt for sure though

Have you thought about Uganda? WTA had a hosted hunt special for around 17k including the charter! If not for having plans already, I considered it. Great place to look for a scrum cap.

I have thought seriously about Uganda. However, the hunt reports I’ve read have been mixed. I think one must be very careful in outfitter and concession selection in Uganda.

Tanzania is definitely on the list. I’m a little concerned that I won’t come back once I see it!

I’m booked some pretty incredible European hunts in the next couple of years. Thinking I’d better get a chamois while I can still handle those mountains!

For me it’s the next place, the next species, and ultimately the next adventure. Dangerous Game seems to be leading that charge. Completing the last two of my tiny 10 is also a pretty big draw, but again somewhere new.

Tracking hunts; buffalo, elephant, eland. A true tracking hunt for a wild lion would be a huge draw.
I’ve heard of a couple hunts like this. Have you looked into them? Definitely not for the faint of heart or someone without a thick wallet

If I was going to pick one animal Eland really gets me the most excited, but seeing new areas is really the draw for me. My priorities probably go 60% to the area and 40% towards the species I can hunt when I select my next hunt. I’ll hunt the same species again and I’m excited to hunt new ones, but I can’t say one species really pulls me back.

For me, it’s mostly dangerous game and especially buffalo. But also, any high quality hunt, especially for animals I haven’t taken before. I leave in 6 weeks for such a hunt…. Lord Derby Eland and Roan in Cameroon on Mayo Nduel. It’ll be a tracking hunt in hot weather for one of Africa’s most iconic species. Whatever we get, i know we will earn it. It’s a hunt I’ll probably only do once but I’ve been looking forward to this for 2 years now, since securing the dates and concession we wanted to hunt.

But there will be more buffalo hunts, and I especially enjoy those when my son is hunting with me. I’d love to take him on a bull elephant hunt, but he doesn’t seem too keen for elephants so I’ll probably do that without him. Been wanting to hunt one more elephant, so will probably put a deposit down soon. But I’ve already got my next buffalo hunt booked for late ‘25 in Mozambique.

For me, it’s mostly dangerous game and especially buffalo. But also, any high quality hunt, especially for animals I haven’t taken before. I leave in 6 weeks for such a hunt…. Lord Derby Eland and Roan in Cameroon on Mayo Nduel. It’ll be a tracking hunt in hot weather for one of Africa’s most iconic species. Whatever we get, i know we will earn it. It’s a hunt I’ll probably only do once but I’ve been looking forward to this for 2 years now, since securing the dates and concession we wanted to hunt.

But there will be more buffalo hunts, and I especially enjoy those when my son is hunting with me. I’d love to take him on a bull elephant hunt, but he doesn’t seem too keen for elephants so I’ll probably do that without him. Been wanting to hunt one more elephant, so will probably put a deposit down soon. But I’ve already got my next buffalo hunt booked for late ‘25 in Mozambique.
A big warthog. Tried for 3 years and never got a shot. Want another shot, no pun intended.

I agree with several of y’all, I don’t see myself going back to Africa to hunt without at least one DG animal on my wish list for that particular safari. I’m also enamored with bushbuck. I’ve gotten a Chobe and a Limpopo and would like to hunt the other sub-species. That would take me to some new countries so that’s also part of the draw.

I am also focused on introducing and sharing Africa with family and friends who have not been, yet….

The animals that I’ve not yet hunted that keep me working and saving and dreaming are Lord Derby Eland and a male lion. Not sure if I’ll ever make either of those hunts happen but if I never get a chance to hunt either it won’t be for a lack of trying to make them happen.

Interesting topic for a thread. I have enjoyed reading the responses and look forward to hearing other’s thoughts in the topic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristaAle

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles