Hookboy88

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
If you were planning to hunt black bears in Canada and was not worried about color phases or worried about killing a bear that was an absolute monster where would you go?

I live in Ontario and that is very good hunting. But, if I could go it would be BC for the spot and stalk bear hunts for sure.

I live in Ontario and that is very good hunting. But, if I could go it would be BC for the spot and stalk bear hunts for sure.

Where would you say has the highest population of bears?

Where would you say has the highest population of bears?
I don't know for sure but I believe BC has the most. Ontario and Quebec have very robust populations.

Guesstimates:
BC 120,000
AB 55,000
ON - 85,000
SK - 43,000

Black bear densities were 270 bears/1,000 km2 (CI 173–458) on the plateau and 100/1,000 km2(CI 55-210) in the mountains. Spatial patterns in black bear densities appear to be opposite that of grizzly bears, with the highest densities occurring in boreal and sub-boreal plains environments and lower densities in mountainous environments. This observation may be more due to competition with grizzly bears than differences in habitat productivity.

Grizzly Bears snack on BB.

So it would seem that one would have the highest chance of success in BC.

In Alberta we have areas with estimates of BB density that are higher than anywhere in BC. Those areas also have no Grizzly Bears.
So, be careful of large estimates for entire provinces.
Keep doing your research.
The style of hunt will also change where you choose to go.
Baiting or spot and stalk.

In Alberta we have areas with estimates of BB density that are higher than anywhere in BC. Those areas also have no Grizzly Bears.
So, be careful of large estimates for entire provinces.
Keep doing your research.
The style of hunt will also change where you choose to go.
Baiting or spot and stalk.

I am honestly not worried about the style of hunt. I mainly hunt the southeast for white tails so I am used to setting in a tree and waiting to ambush what I am after. I do know Saskatchewan seems to have good bear hunting and I have hunted white tails there before.

I, my son, and friends have had 100% success spot and stalk hunting in BC with BC Trophy Mountain Outfitters https://www.bctrophymountainoutfitters.com/ for spring bear. We typically see 20+ in a week of hunting, most of which are boars. You will have an excellent chance to take a large wilderness bear, and I would estimate nearly half will be color phase of one sort or another. Kevan Bracewell also runs a great operation.

And the terrain is spectacular.

Bear Country

This an article about one of those hunts

Our last two pre-pandemic boars.

Bear Hunt Chilcotin Mountains

Son's big BC Boar

I, my son, and friends have had 100% success spot and stalk hunting in BC with BC Trophy Mountain Outfitters https://www.bctrophymountainoutfitters.com/ for spring bear. We typically see 20+ in a week of hunting, most of which are boars. You will have an excellent chance to take a large wilderness bear, and I would estimate nearly half will be color phase of one sort or another. Kevan Bracewell also runs a great operation.

And the terrain is spectacular.

Bear Country

This an article about one of those hunts

Our last two pre-pandemic boars.

Bear Hunt Chilcotin Mountains

Son's big BC Boar's big BC Boar

Wow. Those things are studs!

I vote for Alberta but there's big bears everywhere. I saw several big bears killed in a weeks hunting there. I went with Smoky River outfitters but I don't think they do a spring hunt anymore. Might wanna look into Cold Creek outfitters . That's a service set up by my guide on that hunt. Good luck on your hunt!!!

Have a look at Franck Besseat with Last West Outfitting in northern Alberta. A good outfitter and guide with lots of big bears.

What kind of a hunt do you want? A archery hunt where you can stay in a nice cabin and take a hot shower every night or perhaps a boat hunt where you prowl the shoreline looking for a bear to stalk. I know of a outfitter that will take you in 20 miles on horseback to hunt a wilderness area in BC with a nice cabin to stay in.

What kind of a hunt do you want? A archery hunt where you can stay in a nice cabin and take a hot shower every night or perhaps a boat hunt where you prowl the shoreline looking for a bear to stalk. I know of a outfitter that will take you in 20 miles on horseback to hunt a wilderness area in BC with a nice cabin to stay in.

I am mainly rifle hunt. I would be interested in talking to the outfitter thou.

So many choices, planning a fly in Quebec hunt this coming spring which should involve some fantastic walleye fishing
So a lot depends on travel and cost - if they aren't an issue then i would do a 3-4 week hunt starting in BC and ending up in an Eastern Province

I would do research in B&C Recordbook and P&Y Recordbook.

Alberta has large bears and a good number of color phase, you can also shoot two. I had shot 3 bears over 7 feet and the Alberta record in 2005.

6DCBAAAF-25DF-4151-87E1-09F39688F615.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Spring hunt over bait stations northern Alberta. Bears this way are as much a pleasure to watch and enjoy their antics as it is hunting them. I'm told that populations are as good as they have ever been. Don't forget your thermacell for the bugs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnsonThompson

Latest profile posts

LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia