Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 10.04.30 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 10.04.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 10.04.32 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 10.04.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 10.04.33 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 61
I may have commented on this somewhere else.

Part of the reason you see relatively few American double-rifles is that we don't have nearly as much of a history with them as the British did, at least during the cartridge-loading period. Way back when in the late 1870s, Colt briefly marketed a double-rifle (resurrected by Pedersoli as the Kodiak) but it never really took off and they discontinued it. Possibly Remington made them for a brief time as well, or some of the smaller American gunmakers, using their shotguns as the base like Colt did, but they likewise never seemed to take off. Americans seem to have preferred either the lever-actions for years, which of course were an American invention to begin with, or single-shots, which had plenty of choice from Sharps to Winchester to Ballard to Remington, all established domestic manufacturers. You still have companies building the Sharps and Winchester High-Walls to this day. It would've been easier to acquire an American rifle, and cartridges in the late 19th century, I would think, instead of ordering an expensive foreign-made weapon. Not impossible nor unheard of, but if you had the option of waiting for a double rifle or picking up a lever-action that minute, I think most at the time would take the lever-action. Eventually, of course, we started adopting the bolt-action here as the Europeans did, and ours were still chambered for .45-70 for a good while.

The companies in Europe and the UK making double rifles have been doing so, or at least their names have been, for over a century. And in our modern times, the double-rifle doesn't have the same market as a bolt-action does, so I don't think very many American-based gunmakers are willing to bother when they figure American hunters will prefer a bolt-action.

Very interesting reading in this thread.
Very interesting reading here too.

This independent article confirms that Mr. Searcy did in fact have major medical issues and lends some support to his claim that medical issues caused a delay in his ability to work on said rifle.

But I am sure the person complaining about Mr. Searcy knows this and just neglected to mention it…

I also noted from the AH thread, that the issue in question started with the authors handloads. Makes me wonder if a excessively hot load didn’t damage the rifle. But that’s just pure speculation on my part.

I am not taking sides on that gun debate but it does give me some incite into Mr. Searcy’s turnaround time and adds to the haze of the situation.

After reading the AH thread and the Truth About Guns article I would probably not buy a Searcy double rifle, not because I think he didn’t make very good rifles, but out of concern about who could work on one.

Last edited:
I have seen exactly one double rifle for sale in a gun shop or at any gun show I have been to in Texas. While considered quite the rifle for Africa, even in a proper caliber it is looked upon with condescension for hunting here. Why would a maker fight that battle?

I have seen exactly one double rifle for sale in a gun shop or at any gun show I have been to in Texas. While considered quite the rifle for Africa, even in a proper caliber it is looked upon with condescension for hunting here. Why would a maker fight that battle?
For me, the only reasonable use of a double rifle in North America would be a .375 or bigger DR as a backup gun for a guide with a client hunting Grizzly or Brown Bear in Alaska

Even then, the hunter in that situation would be better served with a .338 or .375 bolt gun

Last edited:
For me, the only reasonable use of a double rifle in North America would be as a backup gun for a guide with a client hunting Grizzly or Brown Bear in Alaska

Even the hunter in that situation would be better served with a .338 or .375 bolt gun
Exactly. The one I saw was a Merkel 141 in .30-06. A beautiful rifle, but there are so many better options. Especially at a more reasonable price point.

I’d still feel pretty good running around the ranch in the UTV with it…even if they didn’t understand.

It seems to me from AH writings that a large number of members do own double rifles - are they purely for Africa? I also thought they were used in the USA?

When you think of American double rifles, Butch Searcy is the most prominent name that readily comes to mind. Fairly good rifles. But I don't like the triggers. Far too much creep to them.

While a large portion of this group may own double rifles, I doubt that it is a very large portion of the overall US hunting/gun ownership. As Backyardsniper posted, “…as you might imagine, there is a terrible shortage of 470 N.E. double rifles in the rural KY area…”

While not just for Africa, I imagine that most are safe queens having been used for that “one trip”.

It seems to me from AH writings that a large number of members do own double rifles - are they purely for Africa? I also thought they were used in the USA?
I use my Merkel 141E in 9.3x74R for deer and pigs here at home. I kill at least one deer and a few pigs with it every year. I had a Merkel double in 30-06 but couldn't warm up to it so I let it go. From what I understand the new owner gives it a good workout on his Hill County ranch.

Safe shooting

This .458 DR is multi-national.
The action is by Beretta, wood from California, stock design from Iowa, wood work from NE USA, 26 inch barrel design from Iowa, custom barrels from McGowen, custom .45-90 chambers and final regulation by A Little, Scope by Leupold, bullets made in Sweden by North Fork, and now owned and hunted by a Texan.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
This .458 DR is multi-national.
The action is by Beretta, wood from California, stock design from Iowa, wood work from NE USA, 26 inch barrel design from Iowa, custom barrels from McGowen, custom .45-90 chambers and final regulation by A Little, Scope by Leupold, bullets made in Sweden by North Fork, and now owned and hunted by a Texan.

full
That looks gorgeous CRS

Thanks. It is ready to hunt and the summer heat is beginning to fade (from 105 down to only 95 degrees).

For Kevin,
This pic of the rifle was taken indoors under fluorescent ceiling lights and really shows the nice wood color. The color does seem to change under different lighting .
54676_600x400.jpg

Maybe one day I will get out a good camera and take better pix of several of my guns.

Last edited by a moderator:
For Kevin,
This pic of the rifle was taken indoors under fluorescent ceiling lights and really shows the nice wood color. The color does seem to change under different lighting .
View attachment 485408

Maybe one day I will get out a good camera and take better pix of several of my guns.
Very nice form and proportion, and it has a cross bolt too! All boxes ticked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoryDalgle

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?