What Type of locks for Gun Case and International Travel?

Tiger2001

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Australia, Austria, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Turkey, USA
Hi all. It's been a while since I traveled with a firearm and I'll be traveling with a Merkel double this fall. I have my Pelican 1700 case but wanted to confirm with the forum what the best locks would be for travel that will secure my belongings and not upset TSA? Realizing things may have changed since I last went to African in Fall 2016. Thank you in advance for your guidance and advice!

Keyed alike locks are my choice. Definitely not TSA locks. Not on the gun case and not on the ammo case if you are taking one. I tag both cases with my name and phone number in case TSA needs to talk to me, but that’s never happened.

Let me start out by saying that locks are only there to keep honest people honest and because they are required by law. If you don't believe me, take a look at The Lockpicking Lawyer on YouTube.

I have a Pelican 1700 and use combination locks (MasterLock 175D) with a shackle that fits the hole snug. I don't like carrying keys and I'm not likely to loose the combination in my head. I'm sure there is a keyed model available if you would prefer. FYI - The shackle diameter is you need is 5/16" (8mm) to fit the hole snug.

If you want absolute security in a lock that is very difficult to pick, I suggest the Enforcer Abloy 330/25. They cost about $70 per lock but are totally worth it if you need that kind of security. This is a link that you can buy them keyed the same.

Abloy keyed the same locks

Because you have a Pelican 1700, you have four lock holes and you will absolutely have to have FOUR locks. And no I'm not kidding. If there is a hole for a lock, you need to have one in it. That said, I know other members (@Philip Glass) who have cut off the two inner lock holes and blended the plastic with a file so there are only two lock holes on the end. The choice is yours.

Attachments

• Enforcer Abloy 330:25 Padlock High Security — AllPadlocks.pdf
    346.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
For critical stuff we use Medeco (part of Assa Abloy). Then tune into YT channel Lock Picking Lawyer, search for your lock, and get discouraged.

Last edited:
For critical stuff we use Medeco (part of Assa Abloy). Then tune into YT channel Lock Picking Lawyer, search for your lock, and get discouraged.
The LPL can be a real bummer. Makes even the most secure locks look so simple. Imagine having the confidence to buy a used high security lock, without a key!

Hi all. It's been a while since I traveled with a firearm and I'll be traveling with a Merkel double this fall. I have my Pelican 1700 case but wanted to confirm with the forum what the best locks would be for travel that will secure my belongings and not upset TSA? Realizing things may have changed since I last went to African in Fall 2016. Thank you in advance for your guidance and advice!
You will get many opinions here On this.
I use Snap Safe heavy duty TSA locks.

TSA locks on ammo case regular locks non TSA in gun case

I use a match set of regular Master locks. TSA only cares that you can open them quickly, and all the holes have locks.

@BeeMaa is right about them just for keeping honest people honest. The gun case is easy to break into with or without picking the locks (I actually had to pick my locks with a hair pin once, took me about 8 min because I am rusty). Unless you fly with a TRTL safe, they are all easy. Luckily, thieves target your easy to pocket goods instead of rifles 99% of the time.

Oh, and get some Apple Air Tags.

You will get many opinions here On this.
I use Snap Safe heavy duty TSA locks.
According to TSA regulations, TSA locks are not supposed to be used on gun cases. Only the owner of the lock is supposed to have the key. Everyone and their brother including TSA employees have keys to TSA locks.

According to TSA regulations, TSA locks are not supposed to be used on gun cases. Only the owner of the lock is supposed to have the key. Everyone and their brother including TSA employees have keys to TSA locks.

The last sentence that is highlighted states that TSA approved locks can be used for cases with firearms. So @Philip Glass is correct in being able to do so. What you decide to use is your choice.

1717245179762.png

Last edited:
Admit the regs are contradictory. My 2¢, using a TSA lock on anything of value is an invitation for thievery. YMMV.

The last sentence that is highlighted states that TSA approved locks can be used for cases with firearms. So @Philip Glass is correct in being able to do so. What you decide to use is your choice.

View attachment 609958
Thanks @BeeMaa
I really have no idea why some folks are so passionate about this? I've used TSA locks on a huge number of airlines to many different countries. I have watched TSA whip out their key on many occasions To open a gun case.
To each his own on locks. I'll be using TSA compliant locks and will be having a drink in the lounge while others are worrying and waiting for TSA.
Regards,
Philip

Thanks @BeeMaa
I really have no idea why some folks are so passionate about this? I've used TSA locks on a huge number of airlines to many different countries. I have watched TSA whip out their key on many occasions To open a gun case.
To each his own on locks. I'll be using TSA compliant locks and will be having a drink in the lounge while others are worrying and waiting for TSA.
Regards,
Philip
Enjoy your drink. It may not taste as good when you arrive at your destination. Why you continue to recommend/tout TSA locks on gun cases is beyond me.

Admit the regs are contradictory. My 2¢, using a TSA lock on anything of value is an invitation for thievery. YMMV.
How many stories have we all heard of hunters getting their locks cut off in Africa? We simply don't have any real security when flying no matter your choice of lock and gun case.

On my trip to Zimbabwe last august. I used tsa locks on both my cases. My Buddy did not have tsa locks on his gun case which caused use to miss our flight home in Dallas to Kansas City. Because tsa would not clear his firearms in Dallas without opening the case and inspecting them. Of course we had a 4 hour layover and they started to page him 30 minutes before boarding. Luckily he had tags in his cases because no one knew were we needed to go to find his case to open it for tsa. Yes they opened my case with the tsa locks and I had a card in there showing they had. He since then has switched that lock out with a tsa lock.

When we arrived in zim both my cases made it all locks where intact on my gun case both locks were missing on my pelican case that contained my clothes,optics & ammunition. So luckily my Buddy had extra locks. Yes I’ll pack an extra set next Time. On the return flight when we landed in Dallas 1 of my locks was again missing off of the same case. Luckily nothing was missing either time.

This is the verbiage...

"Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks."

In the first sentence the word "should" is used instead of "will". This opens the door for any type of lock the customer may wish to use.

I like to think that using locks even a little more resistant to picking, cutting or other easy removal will send a thief to an easier target. Everyone is allowed to do as they wish.

Along with good locks, I'd highly recommend good firearm insurance and that drink in the lounge will be that much more tasty.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BettyeWood

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.