Dave Zimmerman

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Kansas and Texas
Thank you to all of you so far for all your thoughts, advice, and input on my posts on here. As someone who is going to South Africa for the first time in March, like most newbies, I have lots of questions and it truly is a blessing to have so many of you who have gone before to ask questions of.

Today though, I am asking another and wanted to get some of your ideas on this topic. I am hunting with Numzaan March 21-26 and have to take at least 2 animals to be considered a hunter. I am not planning to bring any of the horns, hides, or anything back to save on the trip....so that does open me up for options on trophy fees and other game. By not doing taxidermy it does have its own set of thought process on what to take and what to pass on.

I am trying to get an Impala as it seems to be the biggest horns for the buck...plus to me it screams Africa through and through. At $550, it is also one of the cheapest trophy fees.

My questions to all of you is this, what do you think I should try and bag for my 2nd trophy fee animal? Im currently not decided but am open to any of these below based on budget. I'd like y'alls input on what 2nd animal do you feel is the best to take for size, hunting experience, photos after the hunt....

Below is the trophy fees for each animal off their website:
Impala: $550
Blesbuck: $680
Springbok: $825
Warthog: $525
Porcupine: $330
Steenbok: $570
Common Duiker: $470
Cape bushbuck: $860
Honey Badger: $850
Baboon: $650

Wildebeest, Gemsbuck, Kudu, Hartlebeest, Zebra, Reedbuck, and others are offered as well...but start at $1270 which is a little higher than my budget for a 2nd animal I am not doing taxidermy on.

I have been told by many people to take out a loan or borrow extra money for more trophies, but budget is limited and those aren't really an option after paying for the airline tickets and other expenses just to get to the hunt

Thank you again for everyone's help and being so friendly and helpful as im planning to hunt Africa for my first time. A few months away cant seem to come soon enough.

Springbok is the one that screams Africa!

If your not bringing back any Trophys consider a Cull Hunt

Hi Dave,
First of all, I have only hunted Africa once, last July, but will also hunt there again in July 2018. You can't go wrong on your animal selection. It is what will make you happy. As far as cost of the trophy fees go, you must check the different outfitter sites on AH and compare, and also the daily rates. They are not the same and they change. I personally do not have animals mounted (another plains game hunt for the total cost) and there are about 4 different fees involved to get them to the states to be mounted, nor will I borrow money to pay for a hunt. But that is just me. Many hunters on AH take many species each time they hunt and bring them all home to be mounted. But that is their choice and I am all for them doing so! Contact @CAustin , in the KC area or @ActionBob in Minnesota for answers for these questions. They have both hunted Africa many times and have mounted most if not all of what they have taken. Their are many others, but I know both of these guys and trust most anything they tell me. Good luck with whatever decision you make!!!

Take lots of pictures! You can mount them cheaply.
Outside of that if it were my first hunt, I’d take a zebra and have a rug made. Take your Impala the so called “ meat of Africa”. It is like shrimp in the ocean, ie everything eats eat.
Common springbucks are a beautiful little antelope, but I’d probably euro the skull and tan the skin hair-on. I might do that as well with the Impala. They too have very soft hair nice as a back of chair throw or across the bed.

Otherwise just take what ever mother Africa offers and track your expenses.
Best of luck in your decision and have an awesome trip! Remember, you’ll have to go back...have too!

I regret not taking a Springbok on my first trip, so its top of the list for trip number two next May. The only animal I want another of is the warthog...fun hunts and they can make you work hard for it.

My votes are for the Wart or Spring...

Help me out here. Why pay for SCI minimum trophy size animals if you are not having taxidermy done? No taxidermy screams CULL HUNT! You could shoot an impala with a horn an inch shorter than trophy size at a cull price and 99.99% wouldn't know the difference.
I've cull hunted the last three times and spent half the money for three and four times the animals as my first trophy hunt.
My PH has a six day, two man, one ph, 20 animal management hunt for 3000 U.S. each, everything included.

If you are really stuck on two trophies, I'd go for a springbok, blesbok or warthog.

$650 for a Baboon? That can't be right, can it?

Grass should be long, Warthog would be a good challenge.

Honest I'd ask if you could take any substandard animals as management at a discounted rate. I'd do that now; although I have cut great deals on the ground with cash at times; but you seem to be tight on budget for sure.

Tend to agree with Dinsdale on baboon and warthog.

When it comes down to it, shoot whatever you like. It is your decision and your hunt. All the best.

If I were doing no taxidermy or euro mounts I to would do a cull hunt.

Of the choices you have put to us, I'd say springbok or warthog!

7024A095-65AF-4CDC-ADC0-082197B931C5.jpeg
Hi Dave
Some people are not reading your thread. If you are not going to bring anything back with you other than photos I would say that you should take a great warthog.
My logic is if you do this hunt and then think it would be great to go back and you have moved up several tax brackets. You might want to bring a trophy back with you for the wall when the money isn’t so tight.
That is when you do a Kudu, probably the number one plains game from Africa, to have that shoulder mount for the man cave:)
Another reason to do the warthog as a photo trophy is it has all sorts of import problems that you would avoid by leaving it in Africa.
Tom

$650 for a Baboon? That can't be right, can it?

That's what I was thinking. The one I shot in Namibia was only $100 or $150, I can't remember which.

As far as your second trophy animal, just look at as many pictures of the animals you mentioned and go for the one you like the best.

I have not hunted several of these animals, but the one I would recommend is the Bushbuck. Hard to find, hard to stalk, as dangerous as a cape buffalo if you wound one (their horns are close to femoral artery height when they charge). I think you could have exciting memories from that hunt. Don't shoot them from over 50 or 60 yards. My 2 cents.

Take what Africa gives. Your set on an impala, that's cool. Now just wait until you get there, and go with the flow.

Not on the list but I highly recommend the poor-mans cape buffalo, a blue wildebeest.. great animal..

On your list of choices I'd go with the Warthog.

Reactions: PLM
E2A9A2D9-6A56-4D73-AC0C-0C69E0C66D7A.jpeg
Not on the list but I highly recommend the poor-mans cape buffalo, a blue wildebeest.. great animal..

Zippy
I agree I don’t think Dave has said how he is going to hunt Bow or Rifle.
I got a great Blue Wildebeest back in 2012 with a bow just made Gold.
Would have made a great photo to take home.
Tom

If not bringing the stuff home do a cull hunt and save money. Then maybe you could get another animal or two.
That price for a baboon is stupid high in my "personal" opinion. I went in May and shot 11 of them for free along with a bunch of monkeys for free.
Take the Impala and then whatever you like that presents itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maybelle41

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]