What to pair with a .450/400 3" double?

Garrett89

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Looking for advice on what cartridge to use on my next build to pair with a .450/400 Heym 89b

My initial thoughts are .404, .416, or something similar and then I think maybe a .375 H&H just to keep with the versatility thing? I'll probably make 4 plains game trips for every buff I shoot. Eventually I'll probably own four or five larger caliber rifles just wondering what would be a good next step that makes the most sense.

What do y'all think?

Many thanks!

A 20 bore shotgun :D

I enjoy the combination of my .416 Ruger Alaskan and .450-400 3&14” double. I realise the Ruger is a long cry from a pretty custom or semi-custom build, but living on the subtropical KZN northcoast, I really appreciate a rifle that is weatherproof, and that I can take out when the weather is so horrible that I would rather leave my double in the camp.

Obviously the scoped rifle gives you some more reach than the double if it only has open sights, as well as the 2150 fps extra that you get out of a 400 gr bullet. The same could be said for a .416 Rem or Rigby.

All that being said the most versatile rifle in my safe is an identical .375 Ruger. Naturally the .375 H&H is as good. There is something magical about 300 grains of premium bullet at 2400 fps that can do anything, from stopping a hippo at 10m to fetching a dream kudu at 300m.

Looking for advice on what cartridge to use on my next build to pair with a .450/400 Heym 89b

My initial thoughts are .404, .416, or something similar and then I think maybe a .375 H&H just to keep with the versatility thing? I'll probably make 4 plains game trips for every buff I shoot. Eventually I'll probably own four or five larger caliber rifles just wondering what would be a good next step that makes the most sense.

What do y'all think?

Many thanks!
In my mind there’s a lot of performance (and purpose) overlap between your 450-400 and the cartridges mentioned. Is your double scoped?

I’d probably go with a 7 mm of some sort. Or some flavor of 30 cal. Given how much PG hunting you do

In my mind there’s a lot of performance (and purpose) overlap between your 450-400 and the cartridges mentioned. Is your double scoped?

I’d probably go with a 7 mm of some sort. Or some flavor of 30 cal. Given how much PG hunting you do
Right, I was thinking what scoped bolt action cartridge would best compliment a double .450/400 with only iron sights. Figured that way I'd have something that could reach a little farther with the same ballistics or maybe a little better. I'm sure I could just go .416 and call it a day. If I took only two rifles the scoped .375 and a .450/400 double would probably do all kinds of work for someone after a mixed bag. More buff specific maybe the .450/400 with a scoped .416 and grab a .30-06 sometime down the road for the less ornery stuff

I have exactly the same double and am pairing it with a Ruger No1 in 30-06 wearing a Swarovski 1-6 x 24 EE. That has everything covered in a nice classic way, DG and PG.

I enjoy the combination of my .416 Ruger Alaskan and .450-400 3&14” double. I realise the Ruger is a long cry from a pretty custom or semi-custom build, but living on the subtropical KZN northcoast, I really appreciate a rifle that is weatherproof, and that I can take out when the weather is so horrible that I would rather leave my double in the camp.

Obviously the scoped rifle gives you some more reach than the double if it only has open sights, as well as the 2150 fps extra that you get out of a 400 gr bullet. The same could be said for a .416 Rem or Rigby.

All that being said the most versatile rifle in my safe is an identical .375 Ruger. Naturally the .375 H&H is as good. There is something magical about 300 grains of premium bullet at 2400 fps that can do anything, from stopping a hippo at 10m to fetching a dream kudu at 300m.

Edit, that should read 150 fps

I second the same list that @ay2626 just put up for bolt guns

If a double 9.3x74 and 500 NE

I paired my 450-400 with a 318 Westley Richards Express this past May/June. My wife brought a 375 H&H to provide back up for both. 9.3x62 would be great as well. I paired it with a 404 Jeffery a few safaris ago.

I say 404, that way you’re covered for anything if the double is in the truck while you’re hunting PG and see a dream buff!

Oh, and I have a model 70 action for sale in the EE that is all setup for 404 :)

When does your double arrive?

If you’re looking for a longer range buff rifle then I’d suggest 375H&H to pair. If a pg rifle then a 338WM.

@Garrett89

IF you are having a rifle BUILT to pair with the 450/400 with the consideration of plains game; I would....

Have a TAKEDOWN .375H&H bolt action made so that you could fit both rifles in the same Pelican. Let's be honest traveling with a gun can be a pain but it's really not much more trouble to carry twoguns if they don't require separate cases.

The .375 would cover all the plains game big and small and but if you wanted a second .300H&H barrel and forend for the takedown bolt gun, it's certainly possible.

Thus if you were traveling to a country that will let you bring the takedown as one gun or allow 3 guns for one person you could have 450/400,.375&.300H&H all on the same hunt and same travel case.

A .375. In something multi-shot, scoped, and one barrel. A R8 would be perfect. Then you can leave the anachronism in camp, on the cruiser, or at home. :cool:

I paired a 450/400 3” with a 375 H&H on my last trip to Tanzania - no regrets. Pairing it with a 318 WR as mentioned above is a great choice (so is 9.3x62). I always think of 450/400 3” as a 400 Jeffery. So a 450/400 and 333 Jeffery would be just right…

In all seriousness, if you are not going to put a scope on the .450/400 and getting a bolt then a .300 magnum (WM, RUM etc.) would be all you need for PG. My last hunt I took 9 species, and all the PG (7 of them) were taken with the .300 RUM.

Man I must be looking at this all wrong:unsure: the first thought that jumped into my head when I saw the ops title was…….80lb tusks:E Big Grin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blaubeerchen44

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg