8x68

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
OFAH
Hunted
Canada, USA
I thought this would be a nice thread to start.

Some people like the thrill of the hunt, others enjoy the work that was put into the hunt, others hopefully enjoy a successful harvest. My enjoyment personally is sitting in the bush and listening to nature do it's "thing". Sometimes there is no sound whatsoever. It's just dead quiet. Half the time I nod off. The last time I did that I woke to a black bear passing me about 30ft away. I also enjoy being with my friends. Unfortunately Father Time is ticking away it seems a lot quicker these days. There may not be too many more hunts. Enjoy what you have been blessed with because who knows what tomorrow may bring.
Happy hunting folks

- Not knowing what you going to bump into around the next corner.
- Beautiful sunrises/sunsets.....general scenery.
-Meeting great folks from all around the world.

- No 1, the joy on a clients face when we eventually take the trophy we have been after.

what I like most is the stalk

but the whole deal does it for me
from the six Ps
the planning and discussions with the outfit
the journey ( except the flights , a broke ass like me has go cattle class)
the meeting of the P.H and outfit
the first day getting to know the P.H
and the feeling out of how we will hunt together (usually by the end of the second day we will be in sync)
the new huntinggrounds this I really like getting to know
I love it when the guys are knowledgable about everything in their area from the f;lowers to the insects , birds and all the life and plants
( and I ask a lot of questions about it )
love the first night , eating and drinking with them
the first morning anticipation ( the first night im like a fart in a bottle with anticipation )
that first sunrise is also something I like
the first hunt
checking the animals we are stalking
love the glassing and the plan of the first stalk (pretty much love every stalk , whether we are succsessfull , or we learn )
like watching the trackers do the thing , and listeneing to the local language
after we take an animal I like to be there to take it to the skinning shed and seeing the skinners do there thing
right through the hunt I take time to watch and chat with the skinners sometimes they let me help
hatew the second and last days when reality kicks in and you know its coming to an end
then on the last sunset , its over . back to the camp and celebrate the hunt , I really like this , it s usually when I decide if I will rebook , though every African hunt ive done ive always gone some where different and a different outfit,
but there not African outfit Ive hunted with that I wouldn't hunt again with
on the last morning l like the squaring up and tipping and thanking all the staff at camp for their effort and welcome hospitality
even don't mind the journey home , ist when I get back there I get the shitts and start looking for another adventure

I like all the planning and prep work that goes into the hunt. But I really like the solitude when deer hunting in the states. In Africa the diversity of the wildlife is impressive to me as well as the vast numbers of animals. But at the end of the day it's the chase!

Not something I can completely tell in a few words. It's NOT about killing because for me every harvest has been a trophy. From Cat Squirrels to Mule Deer. Hunting is an appreciation of all that Nature has to offer. Yeah it's a contest between me & the game animal, between me & Nature, between me & myself. Every now & then I get to win.

It's a sense of continuity with generations long since passed away. It is a great gift I've been so fortunate to have loved for so long.

Mention of "Father Time" is kinda sobering. He closes in on us faster than we thought. The clock is ticking. Take advantage of every opportunity. You may not know it yet, but the dog that bit me is barking at you.

I like all the planning and prep work that goes into the hunt. But I really like the solitude when deer hunting in the states. In Africa the diversity of the wildlife is impressive to me as well as the vast numbers of animals. But at the end of the day it's the chase!

Agreed! There is certainly something evolutionary about hunting ... from the chase through to the eating of the meat. And I too really like the solitude of deer hunting ... especially sunrise! One of my favorite sayings is "anyone can get up early enough to see a sunset!" As hunters we get to see ... and especially hear ... the world around us wake up every morning that we are in the woods. And ... as Clayton says ... we only get so many of those special moments.

First and foremost: I enjoy losing. Being bested by terrain. Being outwitted by quarry. Every time I lose, I learn. I never want to stop learning.

A close second place to all the above: I love eating meat. Piles of meat. Seared. Blackened. Biltong'ed. Cured. Brined. Salted. Ground. Jerky'd. Salami'd. Teriyaki'd. Rare. Blue. Tar-Tar.Medium-Rare.BBQ'd. Battered. Fried. Braised. Roasted. Baked. Broiled. I LOVE FRIGGIN GAME!

Hunting (and fishing) is for me very difficult to put into words, at least not without typing several thousand of them anyway, maybe not even then.

However, to keep it on one page here, my best synopsized version is to say that when I'm in the bush, something stirs in my soul that is very ancient, no doubt an instinct inherited from my ancestors.

It must be ten thousand years old, perhaps ten million (I think I had posted that sort of thought before but, imo perhaps it is worth repeating).

The Angry Bed Wetters always like to screech that humanity is descended from a monkey, but that must be a lie because, if I descended from anything except the hand of Almighty God, it surely must have been a wolf.

Hunting (and fishing) is for me very difficult to put into words, at least not without typing several thousand of them anyway, maybe not even then.

However, to keep it on one page here, my best synopsized version is to say that when I'm in the bush, something stirs in my soul that is very ancient, no doubt an instinct inherited from my ancestors.

It must be ten thousand years old, perhaps ten million (I think I had posted that sort of thought before but, imo perhaps it is worth repeating).

The Angry Bed Wetters always like to screech that humanity is descended from a monkey, but that must be a lie because, if I descended from anything except the hand of Almighty God, it surely must have been a wolf.
A Big AMEN brother!

So let me get this right ... as a scientist who supports evolution ... I am by your definition ... an angry bed wetter?

If you cannot take a joke, you might be one but, I sincerely hope not.

What I enjoy most is the hunt itself. I love stalking an animal, pitting my desire to find him vs. his desire to not be found. Every part from being on a hot track to blundering across him. I want to see how close I can get. It is as satisfying to me to get inside 100 yards as any other part of the hunt.

Uhmm ask Velo Dog. I can see this thread changing direction. Science isn't exact is it? :D

Science by definition is exact ... don't know where anyone ever got the idea otherwise ... although many others think the same thing!

Science is subjective at best
Now back to hunting
watching the world wake up, few birds just before that purple/dark blue sky (color blind so take my purple for what its worth), the sun is still not up, but only moments away.
Watching the world go to bed, the last flights of birds whistling past, the sounds of the night creatures waking up, the anticipation to watch it all again tomorrow to see what the day brings
And pretty much everything that people had to say above

We think alike...I feel exactely the same way...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thanpan

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia