What do PH’s like to see for sights on Dangerous Game

I contacted Burris to see if they do a low profile reflex type mount for the RT-3 Prism 3x. Unfortunately they just do the picatiny mount. Is anyone aware of another magnifier red dot out there that may be an option for a single dovetail mount?

Yet, you don't see the magnifier much in hunting. Strange. Likely due to mounting options.
Not needed due to distances involved. I am not going to be sniping at DG at 100+ yards. All my red dots are 1 MOA, enough to be precise. Now, shooting at a baited leopard, lion I will use a scoped rifle as I might need the light gathering capabilities.

This was 55 yards.

full

This was 53.

full

That's a straw man argument as very few hunters if any will be shooting at an elephant or a buffalo at 100 yards.

You are correct, but I would still prefer to have the ability to hit a smaller target than not.

Aim small/miss small.

Having run every generation of Irons, red dots, and now LPVOs on the DOD side of the world for the last 20 years, I can say that the low powered variable optic really does give a ton of flexibility. It's the one Vortex optic that I actually love and the Schmidt and Bender 1-8 is a technological marvel that truly goes to 1x with a metallic "click" and then dials up perfectly...and has a red dot at 1x. It is the best of all worlds IMO...but $$$

The thing I had to accept about magnified optics is that it's not just about the shooting. A magnified optic helps you see, long before it helps you shoot. It allows you to truly see your target and where on your target you intend to put the bullet...then to precisely place that bullet in the exact spot you choose. This is why LPVOs are the future IMO.

That S&B is the future. 1x with a red dot and both eyes open...or dial up to crosshairs.

YMMV.

I contacted Burris to see if they do a low profile reflex type mount for the RT-3 Prism 3x. Unfortunately they just do the picatiny mount. Is anyone aware of another magnifier red dot out there that may be an option for a single dovetail mount?
The Trijicon RMR is low profile and available in a 3.25 or 6.5 MOA dot size. You will need an adapter from the rifle to the optic, but it shouldn't be hard to come by. You will not find a more robust, reliable and low profile red dot on the market. Plus, they have been out for a long time and there is a substantial aftermarket for them.
https://www.trijicon.com/products/subcategory/trijicon-rmrcc

EDIT - I believe Wayne at AHR was making a reflex sight mount that dovetailed into the rear sight of the CZ550. I'm not sure who took over his shop, but it's possible they make an adapter.

Also, check out this thread... @Scrumbag machined his own.
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/which-red-dot-reflex-for-a-9-3x62.49331/page-3#post-562631

Last edited:
The Trijicon RMR is low profile and available in a 3.25 or 6.5 MOA dot size. You will need an adapter from the rifle to the optic, but it shouldn't be hard to come by. You will not find a more robust, reliable and low profile red dot on the market. Plus, they have been out for a long time and there is a substantial aftermarket for them.
https://www.trijicon.com/products/subcategory/trijicon-rmrcc

EDIT - I believe Wayne at AHR was making a reflex sight mount that dovetailed into the rear sight of the CZ550. I'm not sure who took over his shop, but it's possible they make an adapter.

Also, check out this thread... @Scrumbag machined his own.
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/which-red-dot-reflex-for-a-9-3x62.49331/page-3#post-562631
I have a Kahles reflex sight already and managed to get a base easily enough. What I am talking about here though is the next stage up from the little red dot sights - the tiny ones that magnify too. The Burris one is about perfect if you want to get a better sight picture, but not yet into the scope category. It magnifies 3x.

Pic rail is ugly...but it sure does work. I hate to see it on a traditional rifle. That said, I love to use it.
Yeah, can't cross the beams.

Picatinny rail doesn't look right on a DG rifle and DG rifles aren't found in 5.56mm or 7.62mm

"My" concern with Pic Rails as with overly large turrets (if you choose to use a scope) is that they can get in the way of reloading a DG Rifle..

I use pic rails extensively and people do criticize them for sure, especially when the stock is so nice. But they work.

full
Nice piece of timber you have there @Tanks and I can appreciate the utility of it.

I'd say there are two major reasons this isn't more common. #1 - Aesthetics or it is not the traditional look for a DG rifle. #2 - It raises the height of an optic to the point of not being able to keep a proper cheek weld. Neither of these are a concern with most black rifles with fully adjustable stocks.

... #2 - It raises the height of an optic to the point of not being able to keep a proper cheek weld. Neither of these are a concern with most black rifles with fully adjustable stocks.

Well, when one has the stock made to one's measurements the comb height is not an issue. Also, I use the lowest mounts available for the scope. I have the NightForce ATACR 1-8x24 for that rifle and fits perfectly even with tube diameter of 34mm.

A scope isn’t just helpful with increased distance to target, but for picking a target out of the clutter. There are 3 buffalo in this photo:

72D11DC7-F0CB-4914-83A5-4395E9846455.jpeg

That's a straw man argument as very few hunters if any will be shooting at an elephant or a buffalo at 100 yards.
I don't agree. I think it is a reasonable expectation that a hunter is able to take an accurate shot at a buffalo from 0-100 m. First shot will likely be under 50 m but backup or second shot at 50-100 m is not uncommon. And in some areas-Mozambique delta and South Africa, your first shot may be further out than 50 m.

You then say that you use a red dot on your double- now that would not be open sights. So why exactly do you use a red dot and not open sights ?

A scope isn’t just helpful with increased distance to target, but for picking a target out of the clutter. There are 3 buffalo in this photo:

View attachment 462058
But would you shoot at any of them if that’s all you can see ?

For that one uses binos but never a scope.

You then say that you use a red dot on your double- now that would not be open sights. So why exactly do you use a red dot and not open sights ?
The same reason why all the PHs I have hunted with last several years use a red dot on their doubles, fast and easier target acquisition. Place the dot where you want the bullet to go and press the trigger. Additionally, not heavy like a scope and does not change the regulation of a double. Makes night hunts much easier as well, though I am done with night elephant hunts at the moment.

Now, for PG and cat hunts I will use a scope for obvious reasons.

I do not know of anyone who would claim to be more accurate with open sights than scope. So it makes sense that PH's would want you to put your best foot forward.

I grew up shooting open sights in endless airgun competitions with my brother. We still do it 40 years on, with our kids joining in now. But I shoot better with a scope.

That said, I think if you shoot well and often with open sights, and are competent then there is nothing wrong with open sights. And I would bet money that very few forum members can hit a 5" plate at 100 m with a big bore and open sights.
Define very few and big bore. The Businesswoman(.458 Lott) and I would gladly take your lunch money. You failed to specify offhand only and that's a losing bet from a rest or sticks.

Micrometer click Olympic grade aperture sights are not truly open sights. They are target sights. Anschütz, Feinwerkbau, Redfield all don't count as open sights for this task. They are hooded and all sort of closed in. Cup and ball, semi-buckhorn and post, or express sights are what come to mind for me. Are we to include peep sights as well for those who are too proud to use a scope but stretching the heck out of the sight radius?

Most of the "big bore" (whatever minimum caliber that is this week) rifles aren't set up to punch a 5 MOA plate at 100m but if they're hitting 8-10 MOA, they're doing damage and making kills.

My last two buff where 13 yards and 9 yards. I brought a SxS 450-400 3” with a Z8 1-8x20. The scope was tested at the range and then left in the pack.

PS I’ve hunted with this PH 10+ times and the conditions int what bush made getting close easier then normal. Lots of grass unburnt.

Regarding non-zoom red dots vs irons, I just don't see an advantage to the red dot provided
1. Your eyes can still focus the irons
2. The irons fit you
3. You put a drop of bright paint on the front sight (and maybe along the rear) or use fiber optic (which could break though)

IMO, as a generic statement, iron sights have the advantage because they are less likely to loose zero and if they do lose zero you can physically see the sight has moved if you have marked it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fairyrock

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]