What calibers and scopes would you choose?

K95

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Alaska, Mongolia, NewZealand, New Caledonia, Africa Australia.
Here is a question that might create a discussion.
If you were going to purchase a new Blaser R8 and could afford 4 barrels and scopes, to do all your hunting with, what calibers and scopes would you choose?

22lr, 257WBY, 300WM and 375H&H. All would be the standard 17mm barrel and I prefer a synthetic stock and aluminum receiver to keep the weight down.

Which is pretty close to what I have already.

Please excuse me from this game as I am already fully armed with Winchesters and do not need or want a Blaser.
If you give me one, I would sell it to fund ammo and hunts.

If I could afford it, I would choose a .22lr, .223, 6.5x55, .375 h&h , or possibly swap out the 6.5x55 for a .300 wm it would depend on my thinking at the time, or maybe swap out the .22lr for the .300 wm, or just decide to break down and buy 5 bbls.

I finally caught a glimpse of an actual Blaser R8, actually three of them, in a locked gun cabinet in a local large gun store. One was a Luxus with a beautiful wooden stock and the other two had synthetic stocks, They were busy that day or I would've asked to touch one. Maybe next week.

I finally caught a glimpse of an actual Blaser R8, actually three of them, in a locked gun cabinet in a local large gun store. One was a Luxus with a beautiful wooden stock and the other two had synthetic stocks, They were busy that day or I would've asked to touch one. Maybe next week.
If you ever find yourself in Virginia, look me up and we can do a range day with mine.

How about .22lr , 22-250, 30.06, and .375 H&H . Do they make a 12 gauge barrel for those things? That would really take care of everything.
A 12 bore would be nice, but a 20 would be an awesome turkey gun! Sadly no, they don't come in shotgun barrels.

Always a fun thing to review. If you search, you will find this subject has been hit.
But my narrow old minded opinion:

A 22lr always sounds good, but…today you can shoot the 223 for not a lot more than the 22lr. I handload and can reload the 223 at the same velocities as 22lr or full bore velocity. This makes it much more universal than the 22lr IMO.

So my choices would be-
223 (3-15x Leupold VX-5 in Blaser QR saddle mount) with open sights for everything from cheap practicing for 375, or squirrels to coyote.
300WM (also with 3-15x Leupold) no open sights for everything from deer to moose.
375 H&H (2 scopes with Blaser QR saddle mounts, Leupold VX6es, 1-6x for DG & 2-12x for PG) open sights (just in case) and this would be all I would take to Africa with the appropriate premium bullets. Also the big bears.

The 4th barrel would be what ever caliber you have a fetish for, or special use. Your choice after using the others for a period of time.

I forgot scopes...

Hard to go wrong with Swarovski. I like the Z8i models with illuminated reticle and Contessa rail mounts like this.
1627827117243.png

Interesting question, I have all my bases covered but for the sake of interesting brain exercise here is the list I would use. (Assuming you need to hunt everything that walks the planet.
22LR, Nightforce ATACR 7-35×56 F
7x57, Riton 7 Conquer 3-24x50
375H&H, Swarovski Z8i 1-8x24 4A-IF
500 Jeffery, Kahles Red dot

Last edited:
Interesting question, I have all my bases covered but for the sake of interesting brain exercise here is the list I would use. (Assuming you need to hunt everything that walks the planet.
22LR, Nightforce ATACR 7-35×56 F
7x57, Riton 7 Conquer 3-24x50
375H&H, Swarovski Z8i 1-8x24 4A-IF
500 Jeffery, Kahles Red dot
I'd say you got er covered lol

I'd do the following:
- .223 Rem for pest control and practice
- .270 Win medium game (roe deer for example)
- .300 WinMag larger, heavier game (elk, wild boar, most African antelopes)
- .375 H&H big game (biggest antelopes + Big5 + technically everything else)

1) .243 Winchester
2 ) .30-06 Springfield
3 ) .375 Holland & Holland Magnum

These three do it so well for me , that I wouldn’t be needing a fourth caliber barrel .

My telescopic sight of choice would be the good old Lyman Alaskan .

1) .243 Winchester
2 ) .30-06 Springfield
3 ) .375 Holland & Holland Magnum

These three do it so well for me , that I wouldn’t be needing a fourth caliber barrel .

My telescopic sight of choice would be the good old Lyman Alaskan .
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen is gonna LOVE you!!! :ROFLMAO:

I can already imagine what our harsh ( but good natured ) friend will say , right now .
“ The .243 Winchester can’t even kill a hare “ . One sometimes has to wonder EXACTLY WHAT DID THE .243 WINCHESTER DO , to earn his hatred so much . I’ve only been on this forum for three weeks . But he seems like a very reasonable guy and competent hunter .

The .243 Winchester is my favorite caliber for Africa’s Tiny Ten . I absolutely fell in love with it , when I used one in Kenya in 1974 . My white hunter had a BSA Majestic in this caliber lying around in the camp . The rifle was incredibly accurate . But you’re left wondering : What company in their right mind decided to fit an integral muzzle brake on a .243 Winchester ?

Last edited:
I absolutely fell in love with it , when I used one in Kenya in 1974
@Hunter-Habib
For many of us, on the forum, hunting in Kenya is a dream. It is place where modern safari started, more then 100 years ago.

We can not go hunting there any more.

Can you share some hunting story from your Kenya experience, once you have time and opportunity to share with us?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CameronPro

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim