Reaction score
Website
www.buckstix.com
Media
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
US - CANADA
What a great weekend - another 416 Rigby Brevex and a 416 Van Horn. That makes 16 Brevex rifles in the Clan. Apparently the auction house didn't recognize this as a Brevex. However, I did. Researching the history of this rifle will be a real challenge. How did RCBS get involved with building this one?

as always, your comments are most welcome

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/416-RCBS-000.jpg

abe-000.jpg

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/brevex16.jpg

brevex16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You got me by about $100 on the Walter Abe Van Horn. Good buy. It would have been re-barrel project for me, but stock is worth what you paid for gun. . . not to mention the action. Well done.

Hello RR314,
Thanks for the reply .... If its any consolation, my preprogrammed bid was $5,000 higher than my winning bid. To my thinking, Abe rifle serial #1 should be worth a lot $$$.

Hello RR314,
Thanks for the reply .... If its any consolation, my preprogrammed bid was $5,000 higher than my winning bid. To my thinking, Abe rifle serial #1 should be worth a lot $$$.

I won’t disclose what it went for, but it was a steal. I really didn’t want it, but the serial number and quality of the work on the 1909 was excellent. Well done. You know more about these guns than I do, but I’m glad you got it for what you did. I think it is worth at least double after premium. I think the chambering likely limits it from a higher price. In any event, you did great on that one. Congrats.

Go ahead and post pictures of the Walter Abe. May have a California member that knew the man. 1970’s-1980’s LA was a much different place than present day. :-)

Last edited:
Congratulations @buckstix !
Can you explain how you can recognise a Brevex from outside aesthetics? Compared to Francotte magnum actions, for example?

Congratulations @buckstix !
Can you explain how you can recognise a Brevex from outside aesthetics? Compared to Francotte magnum actions, for example?
Thanks for the reply.

Most Brevex actions have a 45 degree slant at the bottom front of the triggerguard - like this one that I just added to the collection. Both those with the 45 degree slant, and those with the rounded bottom front, like shown below, have all the other features that I circled.

Those are the things to look for .... including the "purple" look to the receiver, which comes from the hot blue on the high nickel content of the Brevex receivers.

I had to use photo-shop to lighten the left side to see the gas vent hole - which is typical on the Brevex. The Brevex actions are the longest magnum actions made. They are about 5/16" longer than the Magnum Mauser action.

brevex-clues.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the learning point on the Brevex actions.

Well done sir! @buckstix

IF you got either rifle even close to auction estimate then I believe you made out like a bandit; even considering buyers premium.

The craftsmanship/fit and finish of the .416 Van Horn alone is inspiring.... and to think that it came out of L.A. is mind boggling to me.

Maybe you can tell, ...... .416 is absolutely my favorite caliber. I'm up to ten, .416 caliber rifles ... .... here they are....

The A-Square is a .416 Hoffman ... The Lawson is a .416 Taylor, The recently acquired Abe in .416 Van Horn ... The other 7 are all .416 Rigby caliber.

10-416s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherrillNe

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]