What’s everyone using for Buffalo?

My first trip on Buff I used a 375 H&H with 300gr Woodleighs and it worked wonderfully. One shot kill at about 70m. The great thing was I only brought 1 gun and I used it on the plains game too. Such a great all rounder.

Next time though my 404J will get an outing but it means I will need to bring a "light" gun. Inconvenience be dammed I just want to give that 404J run!
 
458 lott with 500 gr Peregrine solids @ 2190 fps or maybe a little more because it has the same load as my 515 gr solids and those are at the chronographed 2190 fps. It is a cz 550 in pretty much factory (just a bit of polishing in the action)
 
500 NE with 475 gr CEB Safari Raptor @ 2415 fps. Solid is 510 gr CEB Safari Solid @ 2330 fps.
 
375 is plenty for the client
 
500 NE with 475 gr CEB Safari Raptor @ 2415 fps. Solid is 510 gr CEB Safari Solid @ 2330 fps.
jdemocko, i have used that particular load with the 475gn Raptor at 2450 on buffalo and have never seen anything impact on them as hard as that load does.
It is devastating. Penetration is quite stunning as well. Great cartridge, awesome projectile.
 
Almost following on Kevin's post above my first (Cow) was with 375 H&H 300gr Woodleigh HD at 2460fps worked like a charm.
Next will be my 458 lott with 500gr Woodleigh PP at 2175fps
 
My first was 416 Rem mag with 400 gr Swift Aframes. Second and Third with 458 Lott with 500 gr Aframes. I have settled on the Lott for my DG rifle from now on. I do have 375 HH as back up on every trip
 
My first two were taken with a .375 H&H. The rest have been taken with a .458 Lott shooting 500 gr TBBC at 2300 fps. The difference is quite noticeable.
 
All with a 300 gr .375 H&H. One with a custom mauser and the TSX, one with a Blaser S2 and the TSX, and two with a Blaser R8 and A Frames. They were taken in the Caprivi, Mozambique, and South Africa. I hate schlepping around more than one rifle. The R8 with the standard weight .375 barrel has proven to be the perfect choice for a single rifle hunt in Africa. All died within a few feet or yards of where they were hit.
 
As others: 375 H&H for my first two. I do have a 404J itching to get over and be used. My 375 will be the backup
 
.375HH with 300gr. TBBC
 
What’s your go to gun for cape buff?
380gr Rhino controlled expansion in 375 H&H and 570gr Rhino controlled expansion in 500 Jeff, no solids for buffalo even on follow up of a wounded one.....
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,324
Messages
1,572,930
Members
169,651
Latest member
MelanieBou
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top