Wet Tan Versus Dry Tan

wzf0001

New member
Joined
May 25, 2015
Messages
10
Reaction score
31
Location
USA
Media
1
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Hunted
USA, New Zealand, South Africa
I've read everything I can find on the subject of Wet Tan vs Dry Tan, a bit that I could fine here on AH and a lot around the web. It seems like the general consensus is that they generally are both good tanning methods (nearly split down the middle with preference) UNTIL you bring "African Taxidermy" in to the mix; it seems that the general reputation is that dry tanning in Africa is a bad idea. I will be on a hunt in a few weeks and have been working with Highveld Taxidermy for the dip/pack and shipping. They also offer a dry tan option that would save me a fair amount of money eliminating dip costs and lighter shipping weight. I'd be curious to know if any one here has used the dry tan method and how the result turned out. I am not willing to sacrifice the quality of the mount to save but if the general "African Taxidermy Reputation" is prevailing over the truth that a reputable dry tan can be just as successful as a wet tan then I would consider that route. Thanks in advance for the feedback.
 
I prefer my tanneries tanning, and sure a dry tan IS just as good as a wet tan , if the dry tan IS mounted within a year of the tanning being done. I do wet tans as when the skin is tumbled the last process I don't get as much dermis loss around the ears and eyes. And wet tans are already soaked up I don't have to deal with that part of it.
If a client of mine has pre tanned skin, I guarantee nothing.
I do not know if they will soak up the way I want them to.
If they will have enough stretch and softness after wetting to them up to mount with the same quality as I am used to.
Don't know how well they will hold a stitch, how many holes will they put in them during the process.

I have never see or dealt with their tanning so I cannot tell you if it's any good or if it's bad.
It's chance I would not take with my trophies unless they sent me a tanned cape to try ....
 
There are lots of horror stories on Africa tanned skins- I'm sure there are good palces over there but it's a big gamble.
 
With some tanneries there is no difference in the process they just don't dry tumble and do any drum sanding. I've mounted with both and didn't see much difference, I usually prefer dry tan as I don't have to keep as much in the freezers.
 
With some tanneries there is no difference in the process they just don't dry tumble and do any drum sanding. I've mounted with both and didn't see much difference, I usually prefer dry tan as I don't have to keep as much in the freezers.

Yes but I assume Jeff you are talking about American tanneries. The Poster was asking about having his African skins dry tanned in Africa. The consensus is that is a risky endeavor. Another taxidermist friend of mine had a few tanned in Africa because he was misled by the PH that there was some type of quarantine in the area that required it versus salt,dip and ship. Even being a taxidermist he was unable to work with or even save the hides once they arrived in the States. The American tannery had a hard time distinguishing between his dry/salt hides and the "tanned" ones until he went up there and told them which capes were supposedly tanned. Once he tried to re hydrate and work with them, they began to rip and there was zero stretch.
 
buck, he seemed to me not asking whether to have them tanned but rather wet versus dry. I also recommend strongly to have tanning done here at the tannery of your taxidermist's choice.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,422
Messages
1,575,725
Members
170,383
Latest member
Aimee33670
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top