Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Canada, USA, NZ
I’ll try to make this more up to date than previous posts. This being my 5th or 6th safari to hunt with Boseveld Jacobs Safari and my old friend Riaan Jocobs I’ve lost count. Several animals on the list: to include, Hippo, Roan, small cats, Lechwe, remaining Tiny Ten, any interesting warthogs, and whatever else presents in the way of old mature animals that I’ve not hunted. The goal is to hunt a Hippo on land and maybe another buffalo, depending on the circumstance. I think I’m in country for 14 days… Nice thing about Riaan is if he hears about something special or interesting, we’ll pack up and take a days drive if necessary to hunt.

Planning: not much different for me. I bought a 450 Dakota, but I’m not bringing it. I didn’t have time to scope it and practice. I figured Instead it will be my SAKO .375 H&H and my trusted custom Tikka in .243. I’ve had a lot of success with both and know they both shoot well. I’ll be back next year and 2026, then I’ll bring my 450 for ele.

I hand loaded 300 and 350 grain Barnes TSX for the .375 H&H and I still had about160 Rounds of custom .243 Barnes TTSX in 80 grain in the safe. Both grouped well at sea level. I didn’t change my scope settings from last time I hunted in the Waterberg 2 years ago, so I expect they will be close. Both Nightforce scopes has Zero stop and I’m familiar with adjusting them. I also brought the manual! I’ll shoot them when I get into camp.

I used Emerirates airline instead of Delta, and they seem to be great so far. Planes are nice, clean, and have a lot of room. Well staffed and first rate in my opinion. I chose specific seats in economy that were at the exit rows with no one in front of me. I’m 6’-2” and had plenty of leg room, toilet was 6’ away, could stand and stretch with plenty of headroom, I even laid on floor and stretched in front of my seat. I think total cost through my travel agent was $2,300 Round trip with a small premium for those seats. Well worth it. San Francisco to Dubai. Dubai to Joberg. I picked a flight with a longer lay over in Dubai to avoid an extra night at a safe house in Joberg. I believe I arrive at 10:00am. I slept great! I’ll admit that I did myself a favor over the last year and lost 30lbs. That also helped.

Pro Tips:
1. AMEX Platinum - Gets you reimbursed for Global Entry and Clear.
2. Clear - Strsight to the front of the line! Shoes on… Worth it.
3. Global Entry. Can be a PITA to get, but saved my bacon a couple times. Plus TSA linked. Pre-Check.
4. Priority Pass. Lounge access!
5. AMEX Platinum reimburses for Priority Pass.
6. AMEX Platinum- lot of benefits, but I especially appreciate lounge access through there centurion club lounges and through other affiliates. I just took a shower in Dubai and now I’m relaxing typing this post.
7. Pack as light as possible. Your laundry is done daily so you don’t need to overpack.
8. AirTags. I have them in all my cases and bags. I even have one in my wallet. I can see that my gear is with me without even asking. It’s not perfect, but it helps. No guarantees!

I packed 2 rifles in a wheeled case (rifles only, 1 Pelican case for ammo and miscellaneous gear, 1 wheeled small carry on, and 1 backpack with my range finding Bino’s.
I checked on 3 bags, including oversized for the rifles, and there was no extra charge. I carried on the back to include a change of clothes, a memory foam pad for my narrow ass - rolled it up and stuffed it in the backpack, inflatable neck pillow, noise cancelling headphones, external battery charger for phones or accessories, second phone because my iPhone is goofing up - so I brought my work android for pictures, a small thin laptop, my shave kit to include medication, and an extra pair of socks, underwear, and light pullover.

I could do without the laptop, noise cancelling headphones, charging brick, and pullover to lighten the load. Nice to have quick access to socks and underwear for a shower and clean up at the airport!

That covers most of it for now…

**Don’t mind my grammar and spelling, I’m sending this from my iPhone and typing with one clumsy thumb!

Excellent! Look forward to more. Very interested in your 80 gr TTSX loads for your 243 Win. I have a Tikka T3x Super Lite and I worked up a load using the same bullet that is really, really accurate. It has become one of my favorite rifles to shoot in my stable. Let me know how it works for you on PG.
Good luck!

I’ve used it on a couple PG hunts. I have a post from 2022…I’ll see if I can find it…

Excellent! Look forward to more. Very interested in your 80 gr TTSX loads for your 243 Win. I have a Tikka T3x Super Lite and I worked up a load using the same bullet that is really, really accurate. It has become one of my favorite rifles to shoot in my stable. Let me know how it works for you on PG.
Good luck!

Just went through the above report. Can’t believe I missed it when you first posted it. Looks like the 80 gr performed as advertised. I love the bullet and caliber combination. I got mine and worked up a load for this bullet primarily for deer and antelope here in Wyoming. It also makes for a great coyote rifle when I don’t want to also bring one of my 22 caliber varmint rifles with me. It makes for a very versatile rifle.

There are some that don’t appreciate it, but most calibers have their detractors… Well placed shot is what counts.

My PH enjoys when we hunt with that .243 because it’s fast and accurate. I could learn to shoot my .375 at greater distance, but not likely over 200 yards. It really isn’t an inconvenience to bring that .243 and I know as long as I do my part it will effectively dispatch. Plus I enjoy hunting with it. I try to post or reply from experience, not speculation…To each their own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JerryVow

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]