Water Jug Penetration Testing 30 and 338 caliber

Laddbra1

Reaction score
I would first like to thank this forum and its members for providing such a great amount of practical and useful information. I use many websites like this one for not just research, but fixing so many things in everyday life, I don’t know what I would do without resources like this one.

One thing, I am definitely guilty of, is signing up with a user name, but never slowing down long enough to come back and share some of the information I have learned that might help other members. I don’t have the knowledge and experience that many of you do, but hopefully I have some useful information that others might be interested in.

I guess I’ve always been interested in what a bullet/projectile does to whatever it is impacting. I definitely don’t consider myself young anymore, so I’ve been pulling bullets out of whatever would stop them for a good many years now. I have been able to do this in both my personal and professional life.

I have recently had the opportunity to start a guiding career in Alaska, something that occasionally ran through my mind for the last 30 years, but never really thinking I would have the opportunity. I have had a fair amount of reloading supplies sitting around for numerous years, not thinking I’d use them for anything more than my yearly Whitetail hunting in Michigan or trip to one of our western states. Embarking on this new career has led to hundreds of hours of research and a bunch of destroyed water jugs. Hopefully some of you will enjoy and find the below information useful.

After conducting these tests, looking over the results, and studying testing done by others, I discovered that when using 1 gallon milk jugs, the most telling jugs were number four and number seven. Many rifle bullets at the most common velocities would destroy the first 2 to 3 jugs and penetrate into the fourth or fifth and sometimes the sixth. Speed any expanding bullet up, especially cup and core and you get less overall penetration and jug four would just have a hole in it and no rupturing. Slow a solidly constructed bullet down to “normal velocities” and you would get rupturing through jug number three and penetration into and sometimes through jug seven.

The first testing below is from this year, before spring bear season and was follow up testing from last year. If members are interested, and if I have time, hopefully I can post more results in the future.

Thank you to @IdaRam for providing the below form.

I have photos, video and write ups for most of the rounds that I’ve tested.

338 Win Mag, 275 grain A-frame, 72 grains of Reloader 22 in a federal, nickel case. First four jugs destroyed with ruptures in five and six. Bullet went through 7, hit the back of eight and put a hole in nine. It was inside of the 8th.

It is one of the best performing bullets, based on the milk jug test that I can find online. No other bullet has damaged jug five and six like this one in my testing.

1721553309722.png

1721554383416.png

1721560867932.png

30’06, 220 grain partition, 2607 FPS, Reloader 22, 57 grains, first four jugs destroyed just like the 275 grain swift A-frames, however, the bullet weighed 118 grains and was found in jug six.

1721554693395.png

1721560945779.png

1721561101264.png

1721561918263.png

Great report, thanks! Confirms the heavy for caliber, well made bullet theory. I am a big believer in Swift A Frame bullets. I tried the 275 gr in my 338 WM, but didn't like the accuracy. The 225 and 250 gr were very accurate.

One question: Do you plan to mount any of the milk jugs? :ROFLMAO:

It took me a while to get the A-frames to shoot. This is the last target I fired before leaving this spring. 200 yards. I fired the 275s first and then adjusted to the right, 1 inch before the last two groups of 225 TSX & A-Frame. Same point of aim. Ruger Guide Gun.

I probably should’ve mounted some of those jugs for as much time as I spent!
A couple times while compiling the data, I wished I would’ve saved a couple, because my photos weren’t showing me everything I wanted. Thanks

1721565060254.jpeg

1721565151801.jpeg

I don't think much of such tests with water bottles and rely more on practice in the field. Nonetheless, the caliber 338 with its heaver bullets is significantly superior to the caliber 308 as far as external and terminal ballistics are concerned. The competition is more in the area of cartridges caliber 9,3mm, although the cartridges caliber 338 have better external ballistics. I rely on my experience because I have shot the same species of game with cartridges caliber 308, 338 and 9,3mm.

How did the 225 gr TSX do?
Any penetration comparisions between the Barnes TSX and TTSX?

I'm especially interested in actual performance of the 338 cal 210 gr TTSX on tough thick skinned animals since I plan to use it on a Nilgai hunt in January. Good penetration appears to be critical.

Can you show the data and pictures for the 225 grain A-Frame? That’s what I shoot.

Your accuracy for the 275 grain suffers due to being a bit too heavy for the twist and caliber.

How did the 225 gr TSX do?
Any penetration comparisions between the Barnes TSX and TTSX?

I'm especially interested in actual performance of the 338 cal 210 gr TTSX on tough thick skinned animals since I plan to use it on a Nilgai hunt in January. Good penetration appears to be critical.
I was really surprised all the way around with the 225 gr TSX. It lost three pedals, damaged the first three jugs the same as most of the 30 caliber bullets and it was found in the six jug. ‍♂️. None of the 30 caliber Barnes bullets lost any pedals at the same distance with some of them moving just over 100 FPS faster. The 225 performed the same as a factory 250 grain Core-Lokt.

As far as TTSX vs TSX, I will punt to the screen shot below from the Buffalo bore website.

I didn’t compare the two, but in 30 caliber I shot the old MRX model and the same weight TSX. With its polymer tip and tungsten core, the MRX penetrated a little deeper than the TSX.

1721619952230.jpeg

1721620633357.png

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting.

This is a test I did with a 300 grain Swift A-Frame bullet from a 375 H&H through milk jugs. It penetrated 8 - 1 gallon milk jugs.

When I responded to your earlier post, I didn’t realize I’ve seen your test in the past.

I believe you originally posted it several years ago and I have that video saved in my notes. It’s one of the few that I could find with a larger caliber A-frame into milk jugs. I spent a lot of time stopping and starting your video trying to see how much damage there was to jug number four and five. Thanks

Great report with fantastic premium bullets! Well done!

What would be interesting to see is the same report with classic cup and core bullets, to compare mass retention and penetration.

Great report with fantastic premium bullets! Well done!

What would be interesting to see is the same report with classic cup and core bullets, to compare mass retention and penetration.
Which cup and cores did you have in mind? I ran a few side-by-side with the premiums. Thanks.

Can you show the data and pictures for the 225 grain A-Frame? That’s what I shoot.

Your accuracy for the 275 grain suffers due to being a bit too heavy for the twist and caliber.

The 225s destroyed the first four jugs almost the same as the 275s, but penetrated one jug less. Below you’ll see a screenshot of a review for the 225 grain that I believe was posted on the Swift website. Thanks

1721622487583.jpeg

1721622578212.png

1721622745549.png

Which cup and cores did you have in mind? I ran a few side-by-side with the premiums. Thanks.
Any that you might have available.
I hunted with premium bullets - bonded norma oryx and swift a frames. (bonded types)
But also I hunt successfully with nosler ballistic tip, or S&B soft points (classic bullets).

I know the theoretical and practical terminal performance difference, but I never really compared penetration results.

So, any of the cup and core bullets you have or you have tested would be interesting to see, such as: Federal Power-Shok, Sierra GameKing, Remington Core-Lokt, Winchester Power Point, Hornady InterLock, or Sellier Bellot SP...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SLo66

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg