Wanted Browning 1895 (No Tang Safety) In .30-06

DobeGrant45c

AH member
Reaction score
hunting a dream rifle of mine. Looking for a good shooter Browning repro of the Winchester 1895 without the tang safety. Ideally looking for a 30-06 but would consider a 30-40 Krag or even a .405 if anyone has a converted one.

Have trade goods or can pay cash for the right deal.

Thanks folks!

hunting a dream rifle of mine. Looking for a good shooter Browning repro of the Winchester 1895 without the tang safety. Ideally looking for a 30-06 but would consider a 30-40 Krag or even a .405 if anyone has a converted one.

Have trade goods or can pay cash for the right deal.

Thanks folks!
gunsinternational.com

And, I’m with you on those Browning Model 1895’s.
It’s a shame they didn’t make them
In .303 British, same as some of the original Winchesters were.
Nonetheless, in any caliber those were very well made of modern steel and straight grain walnut.
The one I used to own in .30-40 Krag caliber, was quite accurate.

I had one too, recently sold it. It was a good shooter, but as always other things beckon....

Best of wishes on your searches; I have one. They are nice rifles for sure.

@DobeGrant45c Love these rifles..........but share your opinion of the tang safety.....when the additional safeties were added to the 95 and 94 models, it was a real low point IMO. Learned to hunt elk with a Mod 95 in .30US......and @Velo Dog is right on.........the 30-40 was a great chambering, the .303 even better, but the original 06's had some problems..................best of luck with your quest........FWB

I’ve had one newer production 1895 with the tang safety and it honesty just annoyed me. Other than that the rifle was fantastic quality and very accurate, I’m just a stickler for people not messing up things that are near perfect already. Haha

I have one that I was just going to list elsewhere. It is of the mid-80s vintage. It has the Providence Tool Co. copy of the side mount "climin' Lyman" aperture sight. It has a sling mount in the butt and a barrel band front sling mount. I would put the finish at 90%. The action is like a bank vault. I'm open to cash offers. Gray Fox

I sold my Krag Browning last year, but have another on the way right now! Had lots of ammo to shoot but nothing to put it in, an untenable situation!

IMG_1726.jpg

"Like this" (97% +) I also have the Scarce Winchester 1895 high grade Teddy Roosevelt Commemorative New in the box (both are 30-06) I could let them both go........
what are you thinking?

I’ve had one newer production 1895 with the tang safety and it honesty just annoyed me. Other than that the rifle was fantastic quality and very accurate, I’m just a stickler for people not messing up things that are near perfect already. Haha
X2

There may be another option. I know Turnbull Retrofits all their modern Miroku lever actions by removing the rebounding hammer, welding up the tang slot and Installing I assume, vintage or reproduction original type hammers with a half cock notch. The process doesn’t seem that involved other than welding up the tang. As well original parts are hard to come by but out there.

I have a later Win 95 with the tang safety, had several actually. Even took one to Africa and the tang safety didnt bother me at all, though admittedly not traditional. I got used to a tang safety carrying Ruger 77's for years.
I sure would want to pay someone to retrofit one.

There may be another option. I know Turnbull Retrofits all their modern Miroku lever actions by removing the rebounding hammer, welding up the tang slot and Installing I assume, vintage or reproduction original type hammers with a half cock notch. The process doesn’t seem that involved other than welding up the tang. As well original parts are hard to come by but out there.

I talked with the folks at Turnbull about this a couple years ago and they said they only offer that service with the 1886 and 1892. I know people who have done a tang safety delete and new hammer, but by the time I pay to have the work done I’d be better off to just buy a browning. Obviously not everyone has the same annoying pickiness that I do…wish I didn’t as my newer Winchester 95 was a great shooter and well made.

Last edited:
@ 500 Nitro surprised that the TR Commemorative is in 06.......did they also make a 405? @DobeGrant45c saw some originals at local show, and prices had gone insane.........FWB

tempImagedzIv2L.jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 8.29.22 PM.png
tempImageEZ5zrI.jpg

Flat water Bill, Here is the Theodore Rosevelt 100th anniversary 30-06 made back when quality still mattered,
Way before the other ones, (405, 30-40 ect ) Bighorn sheep on one side elk on the other side.

I saw one 2 years ago in Vegas for $3,500.00

Very nice.....tastefully done...........that TR 30-06 otta go on an African hunt.........FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jolandon24

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]