Wanted .416 Rigby

rcarpenter

AH member
Joined
Oct 8, 2011
Messages
41
Reaction score
17
Location
Boise, ID
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Member of
North American Falconers Association
I'm looking to get my first big bore and have been looking for a CZ500 or similar in .416 Rigby. The end goal is to convert it to a 550 magnum. I know the timing is awful since they were recently discontinued.
 
Your timing may be better than you think. Lots of hunts cancelled for buff, and not much use here for a 416. I think the big bore market is well supplied.......have seen some really good deals here and on the websites. You may even find a better rifle for the same money if you're flexible.......good luck............FWB
 
I'm looking to get my first big bore and have been looking for a CZ500 or similar in .416 Rigby. The end goal is to convert it to a 550 magnum. I know the timing is awful since they were recently discontinued.
I am unaware of a CZ 500 , but the CZ 550 Magnum is the standard magnum offering by CZ that was (Is ? ) made in calibers such as 416 Rigby , 458 Win Mag , 375 h&h , 458 Lott , etc . Good luck with your search , I hope u find a great deal .
I have one in 416 Rigby and it is a good rifle , I am sure u will not be disappointed .
 
Your timing may be better than you think. Lots of hunts cancelled for buff, and not much use here for a 416. I think the big bore market is well supplied.......have seen some really good deals here and on the websites. You may even find a better rifle for the same money if you're flexible.......good luck............FWB
Thanks Bill! I don't really have a deadline and I'm not wed to any make/model in particular. I'm just looking for a good host for a 550 mag build. I'll probably shoot whatever I end up with in stock form for a little while before changing it though.
I am unaware of a CZ 500 , but the CZ 550 Magnum is the standard magnum offering by CZ that was (Is ? ) made in calibers such as 416 Rigby , 458 Win Mag , 375 h&h , 458 Lott , etc . Good luck with your search , I hope u find a great deal .
I have one in 416 Rigby and it is a good rifle , I am sure u will not be disappointed .
Thanks Paul. I was talking about the CZ 550 Magnum rifle. I didn't notice my typo of CZ500! Oops! I want to convert it to fire the 550 Magnum cartridge (http://550magnumwildcat.blogspot.com). CZ discontinued the 550 Magnum rifles and most gun suppliers have run out, at least here in the US. The identical names definitely make searching for info on the caliber difficult!
 
OK now I understand , was just wondering why u want to convert it into a CZ 550 Magnum when it is already a CZ 550 Magnum LOL !
So u want a 550 Magnum Caliber built on a CZ 550 Magnum action - all makes sense , because the 416 Rigby caliber is obviously not powerful enough for what u want to hunt - u hunting T-Rex ?
 
  • Like
Reactions: WAB
I'm looking to get my first big bore and have been looking for a CZ500 or similar in .416 Rigby. The end goal is to convert it to a 550 magnum. I know the timing is awful since they were recently discontinued.
From what I have read in the link u sent , any caliber CZ 550 magnum action should be suitable as a donor action , I see reference is made to using a 550 magnum action in 375 h&h which might be easier and cheaper to source than a 416 Rigby ?
 
From what I have read in the link u sent , any caliber CZ 550 magnum action should be suitable as a donor action , I see reference is made to using a 550 magnum action in 375 h&h which might be easier and cheaper to source than a 416 Rigby ?
Haha Yeah, definitely confusing! I want one mostly for the novelty. I plan on moving to Alaska sooner or later and would probably only carry it as a stopping rifle for Grizzlys.

Any caliber of the CZ550 will definitely work, as I think all the actions are the same, but the 416 Rigby and 550 Magnum use the same bolt and cartridge cases, so the 416 just creates a little less work during the conversion. I honestly don't know what all work is involved in altering a bolt face for a new cartridge.
 

Attachments

  • 1v0YXqrl.jpg
    1v0YXqrl.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 138
You mean like this .416 Rigby?

but it is in a tommy Shurley custom stock

That is one of the most beautiful rifles I've ever seen! I would love to find one like that.

I'm not set on any particular brand or setup other than a CRF in something that is easy to have a barrel made for.
 
You never posted what you want for it. Yes stock looks very good .
Krish
Honestly I have a buddy I have promised first right of refusal on a trade and I will update accordingly.

FYI - PM sent to OP with details, if my buddy doesn’t want the rifle the OP would then have first option.

I posted pics of the rifle so the OP could see a factory .416; I apologize if I hijacked
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,305
Messages
1,572,249
Members
169,514
Latest member
ChesterMac
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top