Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
South Africa, England, Scotland, USA
My search for my first dangerous game rifle has turned up no luck so far. Found one in DFW that turned out to be pushfeed and missed Actionbobs sale yesterday.

Looking for a model 70 or a CZ in 375 H&H. Not looking for some super high end version. More looking for sub $1500 CRF rifle. Live in DFW if someone happens to have one local.

Thanks
Dale

I'm on the north side of DFW, and will keep an eye out. Good luck with your search!

Spotted this in another thread, and you could reach out to @wolfhunter if you want.
Screenshot_20230219_205516_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 7.56.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 7.56.36 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 78
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 7.56.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 7.56.38 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 86
I saw interarms on cabelas and started searching around google. Why is this first time I'm hearing of the company? Obviously i am new to the big boy calibers but dont seem to pop up that much on this forum or others. Everything i see online is they shoot great but is there a catch? Why are the CZ and M70 the most discussed?

I've got an interarms.375 that I like. Not sure if they're still producing them or not. They're not real expensive but they shoot good. It was my first "big bore" and I think it's a great first gun to try while dipping your toes in the .375 water. Should be some on gun joker or somewhere online.

I have an Interarms Express, in 375 H&H I could sell. I'll PM you some pictures.

@dailordasailor I have owned Interarms rifles for more than 40 years. They are good rifles, but that little tiny sliding safety on the right can be hard to find it you're in a hurry....which you might be with a 375. I replaced them with a model 70 style wing safeties........other than that, they were pretty much ready to go. I can't say that about my CZ...................FWB

Have any of you fellows had difficulty mounting Talley rings and bases on the Whitworth rifles?
Yesterday I attempted to install a scope on a recent Whitworth purchase and using Wheeler scope centers shows a real problem...

I have a custom on an early Mark X. No issues with the scope rings. You might try Burris Signature Rings with the inserts. If you don't need QD these work well.
Dale, not sure why you are just hearing about Interarms. Zastava is the name on the newer ones I believe. I think Charles Daley put their name on them as well. I always liked the Interarms rifles in 375 and 458. Seemed like a good way to get in on a heavier rifle for not a lot of money.

I saw interarms on cabelas and started searching around google. Why is this first time I'm hearing of the company? Obviously i am new to the big boy calibers but dont seem to pop up that much on this forum or others. Everything i see online is they shoot great but is there a catch? Why are the CZ and M70 the most discussed?
Interarms is an importer of firearms and yes, they are still in business. I talked to the owner last summer at Camp Perry. They offer a modern manufacture Luger in stainless steel.

Here is a Gun Digest on the Mark X in 375 H&H; https://gundigest.com/gun-reviews/r...75-hh-market-mauser-grade-proves-a-true-value

@dailordasailor I have owned Interarms rifles for more than 40 years. They are good rifles, but that little tiny sliding safety on the right can be hard to find it you're in a hurry....which you might be with a 375. I replaced them with a model 70 style wing safeties........other than that, they were pretty much ready to go. I can't say that about my CZ...................FWB
Roger that FWB!

Here's a rundown from lowest to highest priced guns.

All those mentioned, Interarms mark X, M70 and CZ 550M are Controlled Round Feed (CRF). A push feed action is okay but CFR has more control.

1. Mark X has a Mauser action made by Zapata. "The end result here is a German design from 1898—licensed from a Belgian company in 1924, machined by a Yugoslavian manufacturer in the 1970s and imported soon after by an American entrepreneur" from the Gun Digest article.
Very good out of the box rifle. Add a $300 M70 safety and it will serve you for many years.

2. Winchester Model 70, Based on the Mauser 98 action modified to be The Riflemans Rifle. The push feed versions were made between 1964 and 1991. "Recognizing that many shooters would quickly embrace a re-introduction of the pre-’64 action, Winchester introduced the Classic series in 1992. Retaining many of the key features of the pre-’64, the Classic is a great rifle, and the used Classic Stainless .300 Winchester Magnum I picked up at the local gun shop fifteen years ago or so has become a dear friend. It’s been across America with me, taking bear and deer here in my native New York, pronghorn in Wyoming, aoudad in Texas and more. I've seen African Professional Hunters carry a Classic in .375 H&H for backup work, and I've handloaded for at least a half-dozen Classics; all were wonderfully accurate." From American Hunter; https://www.americanhunter.org/content/an-ode-to-the-winchester-model-70/

Also see from Guns and Ammo; https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/winchester-model-70-evolution/391985

3. CZ 550M, "The beast", my words... A magnum length action based on the Mauser 98. This is a Safari Rifle with large capacity drop magazine and while in production available in the largest dangerous game cartridges.

The 550M safety IMO should be changed over to the M70 style safety and the front sling stub removed from the stock and a barrel band sling stud installed. This allows the muzzle to travel lower when carried by a sling. Some also shorten the barrel to 22".

From CZ's website: https://cz-usa.com/cz-550-big-bore-rifles-designed-for-american-hunters-available-in-14-calibers/

I believe all are currently out of production. Winchester or however owns the company will probably resume production once there is significant demand. The CZ was probably too expensive to produce. We will be lucky if it ever is produced again.

I own many M70's, most being pre-64 custom guns and a couple Classic CRF models. All are great!

I also own a couple of CZ 550's just because they are out of production. My 375 H&H' magazine holds six rounds! My M70's only hold four. I also own a CZ in 416 Rigby just because. The M70 action isn't "practically" large enough for this gigunda cartridge! The magazine holds only 3 rounds. The M70's were available in 416 Remington Magnum which duplicates the Rigby performance in a smaller diameter cartridge case. This is achieved at high pressure. My M70 416 Rem magazing holds four rounds.

That's a quick run down...

I use Leupold QDs on my Whitworth without any Problems
fullsizeoutput_15e.jpeg

I believe all are currently out of production. Winchester or however owns the company will probably resume production once there is significant demand. The CZ was probably too expensive to produce. We will be lucky if it ever is produced again.
On no! Let me clarify this...
The M70 is in production. Just the Safari models in 375 H&H, 416 Rem, and 458 (Win or Lott) are currently not in production.

“Zapata”? I thought Zastava was the parent company?

Have any of you fellows had difficulty mounting Talley rings and bases on the Whitworth rifles?
Yesterday I attempted to install a scope on a recent Whitworth purchase and using Wheeler scope centers shows a real problem...
I just put Talley bases and QD rings on my Mark X 375H&H this past weekend and they work great

Found one in DFW that turned out to be pushfeed

Win 70 at mcclellands?

I checked that one out about a month ago… was way over priced IMO as well…

I’m it’s condition and being push feed… I’m thinking it was worth maybe 65% of what they were asking for it…

Willey Brothers Firearms in Reno NV bought a pile of 375 and 458wm whitworth interarms rifles out of a collection. They've been selling them on GB but I called them and bought a couple over the phone. It saved me money and them, as they didn't have to pay the GB commission. hey still had a few. I believe they have a CZ 550m in 458 lott also.

Win 70 at mcclellands?

I checked that one out about a month ago… was way over priced IMO as well…

I’m it’s condition and being push feed… I’m thinking it was worth maybe 65% of what they were asking for it…
Frisco Gun Club. Great looking rifle for $1250

I have an Interarms Whitworth Express that i don't believe has ever made it out of Texas, but sure is nice quality and seems to shoot well. I'd recommend them.
20200423_121605.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vlonehoodie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with