Wanted 375 H&H Headspace Gauges

Wyatt Smith

AH legend
Joined
May 9, 2019
Messages
3,953
Reaction score
9,126
Location
Pike county
Media
43
I need a set of headspace gauges, for a 375 H&H, I am happy to buy used, or borrow a set. I will only need them once, and would rather not buy a new set.
If anyone is willing to loan me set, I will pay for the shipping both ways, plus a little for your trouble.
 
You can rent headspace gauges from many of the chamber reamer rental sources.
Brian
 
I had a gunsmith install a barrel recently and the headspace was on the belt, so the gauge would be for the standard .532 belted case. The chamber Go-NoGo was in addition to the headspace.
 
I believe the Magnums headspace off the belt and then fire form to the chamber, so any belted gauge is headspaced off the belt only, unlike standard headspace off the shoulder as in a 30 06, etc.
 
Correct. The gauges for belted cartridges are not cartridge specific.

What works for 7RM, 300Winnie, and so on, will work for 375H&H., and for any .532 belted cartridge.

For what they cost, your simplest solution is just buy a set. I had some here for years, and they were stumpy little things. Handy to have.
 
A no go gauge can be a new case with two layers of scotch tape over the case head trimmed to size....for tight tolerances
 
Curious what you intend to do. You bought a new bolt for your rifle. So why not just give it to a gunsmith and let him figure it out. If it does headspace allright, cool. But it if is off a bit, are you going to try to reset it yourself? You said you were new to this. You fit the barrel to the bolt, not the reverse.
 
I was just going to check it with the new bolt, if it’s good, cool if not it will see a smith. I understand how headspace works. I am willing to spend the money to check it myself first, even if it means it goes to a smith after. I just hope I don’t have excessive headspace, as that will be harder to fix.
 
A gunsmith that I used to know had some pieces from a feeler gauge. The pieces were cut into circles slightly smaller than the diameter of the case head. to check the amount of clearance (headspace) he would take an unfired sized case and chamber it. Starting with the thinnest piece he's place it in between the boltface and the cartridge head, then close the bolt gently, noting where it met resistance. If it had clearance he'd go to the next thickness "gauge". While he also used Go-NoGo gauges, this method was a quick check and worked on any cartridge. I don't recall what the thicknesses were, but the thinnest was thinner than aluminum foil.
 
Simple....get a new unfired case...try to chamber it....if it chambers...great, then start adding layers of scotch tape to the case head until the bolt does not close....count the layers of tape, if more than five or six you have a problem...take it to the smith, max headspace is normally.005
 
Last edited:
I’m not reading all these but all you need is a belted mag head space gauge. Look on eBay
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,361
Messages
1,574,180
Members
169,919
Latest member
BUILonna63
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top