USA: Muzzle Loader Elk - Acoma Pueblo, NM (2023)

NIGHTHAWK

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
RSA, Canada, USA, NZ
Well, since that clown imposter of an Elk hunter tricked us today, I’ll post a long over due report on my muzzle loader Elk hunt!

Before you hammer me about why it’s late, there was some circumstance involved in my reluctance to post.

Shot at 160 yards with a scoped muzzle loader.

I’ll post details later, I promise!

A few pics for now:

IMG_2152.jpeg

IMG_2147.jpeg

IMG_2124.jpeg

More to come…

Very nice bull. Looking forward to reading your hunt story.
Bruce

Nice looking muzzleloader. Mcwhorter?

I accompanied my son in law last year in unit 13
Private land.

Looking forward to the report
Unit 13 can produce big bulls if you’re fortunate. I killed the biggest bull of my life on unit 13 in 2002, which was a terrible drought year. Several guides who looked at my bull said it was 30-35” bigger the year before. And it still scored 386” when I shot it.

Nice bull. Unit 13 is a big, diverse area, kind of like Unit 12. Not easy to hunt. The elk are not evenly distributed and success is heavily dependent upon land status and hunting the scattered pockets of population. Acoma land is fairly representative of a lot of 13. I take it you didn’t get into any trouble… the Acoma chief of police is a good friend of mine. ;)

You had to take that guy to the car wash.

Nice bull. Unit 13 is a big, diverse area, kind of like Unit 12. Not easy to hunt. The elk are not evenly distributed and success is heavily dependent upon land status and hunting the scattered pockets of population. Acoma land is fairly representative of a lot of 13. I take it you didn’t get into any trouble… the Acoma chief of police is a good friend of mine. ;)
No trouble… I follow the rules.

Nice Bull here. Still young. Wind was just right. I could have got him with a spear…

We had two others closer than this. Including the one I killed. Another was just on the other side of a Piñon, literally 10’ away, and bugling right at us…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linqinggou637

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?