Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, GSCO
Hunted
Saskatchewan, South Africa, Zimbabwe, 30 US states and counting
A few years ago, I started feeling like a mortal man…recovery times were slower…aches were more noticeable….hills seemed taller…ack, I’m getting older! As I thought about that and how I wanted to do a lot more hunting, I read some articles on aoudad hunting. Some articles, in particular by Boddington, caught my attention. He was writing about how it’s the cheapest entry point to sheep hunting and a good warm-up for other mountain hunts. The hills in south Texas aren’t high in altitude but they are rugged and test the spirit. I called a hunting friend and said let’s go chase some aoudad before we wake up someday with regrets.

I called some guides that Boddington recommended and we ended up booking with Stephen West for a late September hunt. Stephen said that time of year was good for early season rutting activity. This area was on the very southern border near Big Bend and had a good population of 8-11 year old rams that were averaging 31”. Thirty inches is kind of the magic number for aoudad and Stephen said that should not be a problem to get a couple of rams at least that big.

I worked up some loads for a custom 6.5 PRC (now owned by @ AZ Dave) and got the ballistics sorted out to 1000 yards and verified on steel at those distances. I was on a pro staff rifle team at that time and we had the range to work out to those distances. That’s MUCH further than I would ever expect to shoot on game but when you practice that far, 500 yards or less seems much easier!

IMG_8171 copy.JPG

The hunt dates quickly arrived and we made the drive down to Marfa, TX to meet the guide. He said fill up your gas here as it’s going to take awhile to get to the ranch. We drove about another hour to the end of the road and a locked gate. He unlocked the gate and pointed way back to the mesas and said, the ranch headquarters is behind that mesa. We drove 47 miles on dirt roads before we stopped at the ranch bunk house where we would be staying. Along the way, we saw a lot of desert quail, coyotes, javelina and mule deer…along with a few skinny half-wild cows scattered in the hills.

IMG_8167 copy.JPG

The ranch buildings were simple but comfortable and up high on a bluff where you could see a long distance. Stephen pointed south and said that’s Mexico just a few miles from here. The country was severe looking but beautiful as only the desert can be. It was late in the day and we got the rifles out to check zeros. By the time we got back to camp, there was a great meal cooking with grilled steaks, beans, onions and peppers and home made tortillas and salsa. As the sun dropped below the horizon, the coyotes started singing and I knew it was going to be a good experience.

IMG_8162 copy.JPG

IMG_8157 copy.JPG

IMG_7384 copy.JPG

Been there and done that. Big country out that way for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first day we were up early of course with a full country breakfast and then headed out to scout the area. This ranch is 104,000 acres…not the biggest ranch in TX but not a small place! We spent all day glassing and moving around to look into different corners of canyons, cliffs, mesas, and anything rocky and high that would hold sheep. Systematically we eliminated all areas before moving deeper into the ranch for more glassing.

IMG_8165 copy.JPG

IMG_7574 copy.jpeg

IMG_8199 copy.JPG

We were seeing lots of mule deer, javelina and a few ewes and lambs but no big bands of sheep and no rams yet!

IMG_8155 copy.JPG

IMG_7395 copy.JPG

We learned that most of the country wanted to bite, scratch or poke us and we lost a little skin but also found some cool stuff along the way like arrowheads up in the rocks.

IMG_8154 copy.JPG

IMG_8172 copy.JPG

IMG_8164 copy.JPG

At dinner that night, Stephen said I know where we are going in the morning. Let’s take a lot of water as it’s going to be a long walk…then he smiled and I knew tomorrow was going to get interesting!

IMG_8159 copy.JPG

IMG_8163 copy.JPG

That country out there is desolate, but beautiful and it grows on you. I shot a really nice pronghorn right west of Marfa about 20 years ago. We’ve gone hiking in Big Bend several times including last year. It really seems like the last frontier when you just sit back and go with the flow.

One thing I love about the desert is that it looks empty...but it isn't! At this ranch there were a LOT of javelinas and some would stay close to the bunkhouses and come out to us when we were getting into the trucks. We would throw out our scraps for them and watch them fight over it. Javelinas and hogs are a little like bears in that they will click their teeth for threat displays. If you turn up your sound, you can hear it in this video...

We started the 2nd day of our 3 day hunt with a lot of optimism. Stephen said since we have eliminated one area of the ranch, I know where they are going to be…back in these canyons and mesas. He told us they tend to bunch up back in those areas as they feel safe in the rocks and can see a good distance. There are mountain lions on this ranch but besides that, they have no natural enemies up in the rocks.

We made sure to have plenty of water in the truck and our packs and headed further back into the canyons. After some fancy off road driving of about 1 hour, Stephen stopped the truck and said let’s lace up and walk back in here quietly. We had our day packs, rifles and tripods/spotting scopes and began climbing to get to better vantage points.

Right away we started getting into small groups of 5-20 sheep. Lots of ewes and little ones and a few rams but nothing real big. One thing I’ve learned over the years is the power of putting experienced spotters on a piece of mountain or big country to glass. When you setup 2 or 3 tripods with spotters and you park your butt for a few hours, you can really tear a mountain apart. We did this several times…locating vantage points and resetting strategically to cover different angles.

IMG_7401 copy.JPG

While moving to another area, the lead guy walking (I think it was the cook who was a hunter also and helping us glass) dropped into a crouch quickly and my heart jumped! It’s like hearing the trackers in Africa tapping on the roof of the truck…you know something just happened! He waved us to join him and we crept up to see a small band of sheep about 80 yards ahead of us moving up through the rocks. I scanned the group quickly as they went over a small rise and my heart leaped again…big horns going over the top! I looked at Stephen and he said hell yea, we need to look at that ram.

IMG_7478 copy.jpeg

We dropped our packs in the rocks and moved forward quickly and quietly. I loaded a round, engaged the safety and verified that my scope was on the lowest setting. We weren’t sure if the sheep had seen us but they seemed to be moving calmly forward…no running…no rush of movement.

They were moving into some large boulders on this hill and we couldn’t see clearly ahead for more than 50 yards or so but we had to move carefully as it was easy to miss a sheep standing behind a boulder. We did not want to get caught in the open, not ready to shoot. So we slowly moved from boulder to boulder, trying to see if the sheep had settled or moved on.

For about 10 minutes, we played that out while not seeing any sheep. Had they moved over the hill and out of sight? Had they moved left or right and we missed it? I turned to Stephen and said where did they go? He said wait a minute and I will move up higher to take a look.

Stephen is in great shape of course as he is a younger guide who basically lives outdoors for most of the year. He quickly moved up into the rocks like a billy goat to get a better vantage point. Within seconds of getting there, he turned back to me and waved me forward urgently but asked me to stay low. Hey, now we’re in business!

I got up beside Stephen and he said setup on this rock…I’m going to verify but get ready to shoot…he’s standing across the gap. I didn't have my pack or anything soft but used a little trick I've learned, which is putting the sling under the fore-end for a little cushion and noise reduction.

IMG_7496 copy.jpeg

We took a quick range fix and it was just under 200 yards across the gap with a decent wind coming through the canyon. I got into the scope and got steady on the ram. Through the scope, I could see the wind blowing his chaps like wind flags. He was aware of us and had turned to face us head on. There was just a little angle of neck/shoulder that I could aim for but not much room for error. Stephen said let's take him and the safety came off...

Good shooting.
Nice trophy. Congratulations.

Nice, congrats !

We took a quick range fix and it was just under 200 yards across the gap with a decent wind coming through the canyon. I got into the scope and got steady on the ram. Through the scope, I could see the wind blowing his chaps like wind flags. He was aware of us and had turned to face us head on. There was just a little angle of neck/shoulder that I could aim for but not much room for error. Stephen said let's take him and the safety came off...

Beautiful shot!! Boom: one shot DRT!! Well done!

That’s a fine ram. They are a fun animal to hunt in some real rugged country. I got one back in 2019 in the part of the world. I’d be up for hunting another one for sure. Great shot and congrats. Appreciate you taking the time to share your adventure with us.

Thanks all. It's kind of nice to get to the win quickly on a hunt report sometimes, hah! However, don't change the channel yet. We've got another ram to chase and lessons learned as always.

I always find the feet of animals we hunt to be interesting. Aoudad hooves are used for climbing in the rocks of course, so here's what they look like.

IMG_8200 copy.JPG

If you are able to hunt aoudad yourself, I highly recommend having it skinned for a half mount so you can show off the chaps. Here's Stephen taking care of business and a photo showing the result on the wall. Aoudad chaps are one of the coolest parts of the animal!

IMG_8197 copy.JPG

IMG_8318.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoracioSpi

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?