Zim Fan

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Tanzania, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe
Has anyone had any experiences, in the past year or two, with Delta and getting upgrades? Comfort to Premium Select or Premium select up to Delta One? Either miles, cash or Diamond, Platinum or Gold courtesy upgrades, even with Global upgrades.

Get a premium credit card that gives points, 2 and 3x for specific things. Put everything you spend on it and pay off monthly. Then when you go hunt every couple of years fly delta one with points. Easy peasy.

Get a premium credit card that gives points, 2 and 3x for specific things. Put everything you spend on it and pay off monthly. Then when you go hunt every couple of years fly delta one with points. Easy peasy.
DeltaOne mileage tickets are absurd. Often they are over 800,000 miles. Delta is a well run airline but probably the worst for flying international business class on points or upgrade certificates

I'm Diamond and have plenty of miles, taking the family again and they are going to be pissed if I put them in comfort and don't at least get them into Premium. Delta is not providing clear signals on their upgrade policies for the JNB flights. Yes they are spoiled, but what's a grandfather to do

DeltaOne mileage tickets are absurd. Often they are over 800,000 miles. Delta is a well run airline but probably the worst for flying international business class on points or upgrade certificates
Absurd is an understatement. Tickets for next year on anyone, Qatar, Emirates, United and Delta are insane. Yet especially on Delta seats towards the front of the plane are filled. flights in the near future to some destinations are reasonable based on what I pay for US travel. Can't even use Global upgrades at time of booking.

Delta has never been transparent on their upgrade system. I have been upgraded on the ATL-JNB flight a number of times but it seems like a total crap shoot.

Delta has never been transparent on their upgrade system. I have been upgraded on the ATL-JNB flight a number of times but it seems like a total crap shoot.
That's what I am thinking, a crap shoot.

Delta's ATL-JNB flight is probably one of the most expensive flights for money or points in any class.
They know they're one of two flights non-stop to anywhere in Southern Africa from North America and price themselves accordingly.
Fortunately for them most hunters choose that route because of either convenience, fear of losing firearms, being a Sky team member, using travel agents, having no clue, etc... take your pic.
My suggestion is to use the Google Flights tool which might save you a lot of money and as far as points try to buy two seperate tickets:
One to Europe with money and from Europe to JNB with points within your alliance.You can mix business with economy on different legs as well. This is an option only if you're not flying with firearms.

Delta's ATL-JNB flight is probably one of the most expensive flights for money or points in any class.
They know they're one of two flights non-stop to anywhere in Southern Africa from North America and price themselves accordingly.
Fortunately for them most hunters choose that route because of either convenience, fear of losing firearms, being a Sky team member, using travel agents, having no clue, etc... take your pic.
My suggestion is to use the Google Flights tool which might save you a lot of money and as far as points try to buy two seperate tickets:
One to Europe with money and from Europe to JNB with points within your alliance.You can mix business with economy on different legs as well. This is an option only if you're not flying with firearms.
Thanks

Going to likely stick with Comfort plus or Premium Select and then see if Diamond Status does anything for those in my party.

Got lucky with United last time as they were reasonable on Polaris seating but not this time around.

Thanks

Going to likely stick with Comfort plus or Premium Select and then see if Diamond Status does anything for those in my party.

Got lucky with United last time as they were reasonable on Polaris seating but not this time around.
You might be lucky if Delta One have space however most upgrades on status happens in domestic flights, international is alway crapshoot.
Good Luck.

So I use chase sapphire reserve. They do not convert to delta points, but give you 2/1 points when you book through their rewards travel portal.

My delta one flight was 6500, I think tax and all around 7k. I got for less than 400k points, I think it was closer to 350k points.

A lot of points yes, but half of what you quoted.

Also not theoretical. I did it myself.

So I use chase sapphire reserve. They do not convert to delta points, but give you 2/1 points when you book through their rewards travel portal.

My delta one flight was 6500, I think tax and all around 7k. I got for less than 400k points, I think it was closer to 350k points.

A lot of points yes, but half of what you quoted.

Also not theoretical. I did it myself.

Did you pay 6500 plus the points or just the points?

Did you pay 6500 plus the points or just the points?
Just the points.

I bought flight about 6-7 months in advance. It jumped to 10k after I bought it.

Reactions: WAB
1692995562469.png

For this season there were plenty of those under $7 K Delta One seats and then it just went way up and next years Ones are at least 10K. Maybe they will come down maybe they wont.

Delta One points for JNB round trip are generally 450K range. However peak periods like our Summer when the schools are closed they can go up to 800K.
However you look at it, it's absurd.
They're taking advantage of being non-stop and their service is sub par.
You can fly Turkish Air business for around 200K round trip JFK-JNB if you can catch one of their point savers.

Reactions: WAB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mymobilityscooters8929

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?