Unusual find

375er

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Found these in a box of reloading stuff I was given. Anyone know what they might be for, cartridge wise?

20230615_105425.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They are for the 6.5x53mm Mannlicher Rimmed. Also known as the Dutch Mannlicher cartridge, intended for use in the Geweer M.95 (the standard issue rifle for the KNIL in the Dutch East Indies).

To answer the Carcano question: Many Carcano (all?) bores were a little oversized. I think .268 instead of .264. At one point, Hornady made "special" 6.5mm bullets just for the Carcano.

I think Hunter Habib is correct. They would also work in the 6.5X54 Mannlicher, which should be 160 grains, but what's 4 grains amongst friends?.

To answer the Carcano question: Many Carcano (all?) bores were a little oversized. I think .268 instead of .264. At one point, Hornady made "special" 6.5mm bullets just for the Carcano.

I think Hunter Habib is correct. They would also work in the 6.5X54 Mannlicher, which should be 160 grains, but what's 4 grains amongst friends?.
An issue of American Rifleman 1954 mentions that Norma used to supply small quantities of 156Gr soft point bullets to the Dutch for loading 6.5x53mmR ammunition, which would be supplied to KNIL units that were stationed in the remote outposts of the Dutch East Indies. These cartridges would be used for defense against Indonesian tigers, as well as for shooting wild game to supplement camp rations.

Makes sense... If a rimmed rifle tends to have a little less pressure than rimless (think the difference between a 7X64 and 7X65R), then lightening the bullet a little bit will probably give similar velocities...

I think you're overthinking this. Not that it says so on the box, but in all likelihood it is standard .264 bullets intended for the 6.5x55 (or equivalent).

The 6.5x55 is us what the 30-06 is to the US. An ex-military cartridrige - and every hunter had at least one such rifle.

The bullet looks very much like the cup-and-core 'Alaska'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristenJim

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]