Unsolicited Review of Von Gruff knife

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
First off- this review is completely on me- there is no connection with Garry dba von Gruff. It's just that I'm so impressed, particularly with his last offering that I can't be quiet about it. Pictured is a Fredrick Dick boning knife of the type that I have used boning beef for more than 60 years (I started at age 8- talk about child labor- it didn't apply since my parents owned the business). Recently Garry made a boning knife for me. It is the pretty one pictured next to the F Dick. It is an absolute pleasure to use. It has features not available in a mass produced knife. Note the thickness of blade. It is about twice that of the f Dick, The steel is full tang instead of partial and the handle is sized for my hand. The von Gruff weighs 7.4 oz vs 3.4oz F Dick. The blade material/forging/tempering allows for a sharper, longer lasting edge and the mass allows for effortless slicing not possible with the lighter weight knives. I'm retired from the business of boning 1 1/4 head per day and now any cutting is just for just family & friends, but in reflection, it would have been nice to have had such knives back when I was full-time.

DSC_2654 (2).JPG
DSC_2655 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
First off- this review is completely on me- there is no connection with Garry dba von Gruff. It's just that I'm so impressed, particularly with his last offering that I can't be quiet about it. Pictured is a Fredrick Dick boning knife of the type that I have used boning beef for more than 60 years (I started at age 8- talk about child labor- it didn't apply since my parents owned the business). Recently Garry made a boning knife for me. It is the pretty one pictured next to the F Dick. It is an absolute pleasure to use. It has features not available in a mass produced knife. Note the thickness of blade. It is about twice that of the f Dick, The steel is full tang instead of partial and the handle is sized for my hand. The von Gruff weighs 7.4 oz vs 3.4oz F Dick. The blade material/forging/tempering allows for a sharper, longer lasting edge and the mass allows for effortless slicing not possible with the lighter weight knives. I'm retired from the business of boning 1 1/4 head per day and now any cutting is just for just family & friends, but in reflection, it would have been nice to have had such knives back when I was full-time.
Nicely done for a man’s work all of us respect so much!

@Ray B being a "Custom Knife" you get exactly what you want. Along with helpful friendly service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AntjeStrut

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.