Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI Life Member, DSC, BASC, BDS
Hunted
USA: AL, CO, GA, FL, MT, SC, SD, TX, WI, WY, Limpopo SA, North West SA, Eastern Cape, England, Saskatchewan
After spending early 2020 getting my dream gun room/reloading room exactly how I wanted it in our suburban Atlanta home, I was asked to relocate to London for work. First time I’ve lived outside the US in an almost 30 year career in investments.

Luckily, I was invited to join an unbelievable UK deer stalking syndicate before I had a place to live here. Was only able to get out once during the fall season and took this lovely fallow buck during the very early stages of the rut. I had to borrow everything – rifle, boots, hunting clothing, etc. All of the stuff we sent over from the US (inc all my hunting kit) is stuck in one of those cargo ships waiting to get loaded or unloaded. Our stuff departed Atlanta before Labor Day and isn't scheduled to arrive for another few weeks.

2021 Fallow.jpg

There are loads of fallow deer on my new syndicate – including a really handsome (but a little young) melanistic buck we watched on his rut stand twice. He has a bit of a “fishtail,” so he’s likely to get culled next year anyway.

So much about UK deer stalking is different than deer hunting in the US. Just a few of them:
  1. Head shots. While we rarely do it in the US, only the "mature" animals aren't head or neck shot in the UK with minor exceptions. You can sell wild game in the UK commercially, so they try to minimize damage to the meat. Only allowed to use non-lead ammo, as you’d guess.
  2. Stalking vs still hunting. While we do a lot of sitting in stands in the US for whitetail, most hunting here is stalking. They do have "high seats" (i.e. deer stands), but spend most of their time stalking. I’ve taken a few roe and muntjac in the past while visiting, and I head shot or neck shot each of them.
  3. Deer vocalizations. Deer in the UK are much more vocal than whitetails or mulies. A lot more. And they sound very different - from the munti's "bark" to the gunt/roar of the fallow on the ground where I hunt.
  4. “Rut stands” versus rub/scrape lines. A fallow’s rut stand is a sight (and smell) to behold. Imagine that a mature whitetail did all his rubbing and scraping in the same 50 yrd by 50 yrd area. And he ran around that same area stomping it down to bare dirt/mud and grunting almost non-stop for hours. So much fun to watch.
  5. You've all seen the thread on importing trophies into the UK and how dicey that's become here. I'm not even allowed to use the word "trophy" to describe an animal on my syndicate because of the negative connotations - we use "mature."
It’s almost like learning to hunt all over again. Which I'm enjoying.

When we’re back from the US after the holidays I have to get cracking. I’ve got to finally get my UK firearms permit completed and sent off. I also need to get a gun safe installed in our apartment and complete my deer stalking certificate. I’m planning to purchase a firearm here rather than import one of mine from the US – I'm seriously considering my first Blaser. I’d like to be fully operational for next year’s roebuck rut and fallow rut.

Life throws you curves. We’re planning to make the most of this one. Guessing that in addition to Africa every other year, I’ll be doing trips to Europe rather than North America for the next several years.

Glad to hear you found some fellow hunters willing to help you get connected in the UK. Was that just pure luck, or did you have something going ahead of time?

Flat hats and breeks! Looks like you are indeed well on your way to making the most of this new adventure.

Thanks for the feeback! Congrats on first UK deer! I wish you succesful forthcoming seasons!

Glad to hear you found some fellow hunters willing to help you get connected in the UK. Was that just pure luck, or did you have something going ahead of time?
A little of both. It's a buddy of mine I've hunted with before - but they just happened to have an opening this year in this syndicate that he manages.

Congrats on the deer and new hunting venue. Good luck for many more.

After spending early 2020 getting my dream gun room/reloading room exactly how I wanted it in our suburban Atlanta home, I was asked to relocate to London for work. First time I’ve lived outside the US in an almost 30 year career in investments.

Luckily, I was invited to join an unbelievable UK deer stalking syndicate before I had a place to live here. Was only able to get out once during the fall season and took this lovely fallow buck during the very early stages of the rut. I had to borrow everything – rifle, boots, hunting clothing, etc. All of the stuff we sent over from the US (inc all my hunting kit) is stuck in one of those cargo ships waiting to get loaded or unloaded. Our stuff departed Atlanta before Labor Day and isn't scheduled to arrive for another few weeks.

View attachment 441047

There are loads of fallow deer on my new syndicate – including a really handsome (but a little young) melanistic buck we watched on his rut stand twice. He has a bit of a “fishtail,” so he’s likely to get culled next year anyway.

So much about UK deer stalking is different than deer hunting in the US. Just a few of them:
  1. Head shots. While we rarely do it in the US, only the "mature" animals aren't head or neck shot in the UK with minor exceptions. You can sell wild game in the UK commercially, so they try to minimize damage to the meat. Only allowed to use non-lead ammo, as you’d guess.
  2. Stalking vs still hunting. While we do a lot of sitting in stands in the US for whitetail, most hunting here is stalking. They do have "high seats" (i.e. deer stands), but spend most of their time stalking. I’ve taken a few roe and muntjac in the past while visiting, and I head shot or neck shot each of them.
  3. Deer vocalizations. Deer in the UK are much more vocal than whitetails or mulies. A lot more. And they sound very different - from the munti's "bark" to the gunt/roar of the fallow on the ground where I hunt.
  4. “Rut stands” versus rub/scrape lines. A fallow’s rut stand is a sight (and smell) to behold. Imagine that a mature whitetail did all his rubbing and scraping in the same 50 yrd by 50 yrd area. And he ran around that same area stomping it down to bare dirt/mud and grunting almost non-stop for hours. So much fun to watch.
  5. You've all seen the thread on importing trophies into the UK and how dicey that's become here. I'm not even allowed to use the word "trophy" to describe an animal on my syndicate because of the negative connotations - we use "mature."
It’s almost like learning to hunt all over again. Which I'm enjoying.

When we’re back from the US after the holidays I have to get cracking. I’ve got to finally get my UK firearms permit completed and sent off. I also need to get a gun safe installed in our apartment and complete my deer stalking certificate. I’m planning to purchase a firearm here rather than import one of mine from the US – I'm seriously considering my first Blaser. I’d like to be fully operational for next year’s roebuck rut and fallow rut.

Life throws you curves. We’re planning to make the most of this one. Guessing that in addition to Africa every other year, I’ll be doing trips to Europe rather than North America for the next several years.
Looks like you're having a good time and congrats on an impressive beast!

Having hunted fairly extensively in the UK, your first point surprises me. Headshots are a bit of a can of worms over there. Some say do them and avoid meat damage, others are of the opinion that they present a heightened risk of wounding and avoid them like the plague. Personally I've never head shot a deer, but I have no problem in doing so if necessary. I suspect the classic h&l shot is still the vast majority of shot taken.

Non-lead is also contentious and I've never seen a syndicate or game dealer that mandates it, although the copper offerings are becoming increasingly popular.

Also, a heads up on the firearms licensing timelines. It's a very slow process at the best of times and with all the covid disruption stuff, I expect it'll be worse. If you assume it'll be 12 months, you're unlikely to be far off, but you may be pleasantly surprised depending on your local police force. My first grant took 9.

You also don't need to do the dsc. If you're an experienced hunter and have ground it'll be entirely optional. Of course, if you want to do it to learn a bit more about UK species, then it's worth the money. Just don't get pressured into it purely to get the cert.

On this topic too. I'd suggest visiting some UK specific forums and learning a bit more about all the bullshit some forces try and play with new fac applicants. Closed vs open certs, 'acceptable' calibres, ammo allowances, all that stuff. They will try and screw you and it will make your life difficult down the line. Be very clear what you want, what you want it for and why. If you just go along with their suggestions you'll likely have a sad time. I don't miss any of that crap one bit.

Good luck and enjoy your UK adventure!

Al.

Last edited by a moderator:
Flat hats and breeks! Looks like you are indeed well on your way to making the most of this new adventure.
Flat hat yes, breeks no. Was actually in grey 5 pocket casual pants because it was all I had. Borrowed the gillet - very warm and well-made. I forget the maker.

I’m glad you got this opportunity from the start, really unique opportunity to take advantage of. How is the hunting land organized on the club you are a part of/England? Is it continuous or multiple smaller parcels of land with other clubs in between? How do hunting quotas get allocated to each member?

Nice buck. Great news that you got into a club with hunting grounds and quota.
Bruce

I’m glad you got this opportunity from the start, really unique opportunity to take advantage of. How is the hunting land organized on the club you are a part of/England? Is it continuous or multiple smaller parcels of land with other clubs in between? How do hunting quotas get allocated to each member?
This "club" is on a 16,500 acre private estate. There are 16 members. There are 15 zones and it's kinda first come first served. But I think they've only had 7-8 members out at once, so plenty of room to roam around. There are 7,000 acres of contiguous woodland that's partially old growth, with some planted after the war, and some coniferous areas as well. Really pretty place. Interestingly, it's not managed for pheasant or partridge like most other large estates in this part of England.

As Alistair said
lead use is not banned yet in England or wales, scotland is different i believe , but it is being phased out I should imagine it is your syndicates decision to move to this ahead of the rest. Most will shoot for heart and lung, Head or neck shots :eek: very contencious issue here. perhaps your group have an arrangement with a processor for the deer carcases thats why these conditions are in place.
Anyway its good to see you have managed to get an oppertunity to hunt here in the Uk and experience what we offer in the deer stalking area.
Your area wouldn't be in the cotswolds by any chance?

Congrats for a very good fallow deer !

Congrats on a very fine fallow buck! Looking forward to hearing more of your adventures there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BellaGair

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia