Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
So I just returned to the USA on Sunday evening from my latest trip to Africa. This trip being my first to a country other than South Africa. I once again hunted with my long time hunting buddy @AZ KJ.
D3550F59-E5C1-4DD2-9B60-4188B072DBCF_1_105_c.jpeg

I have mentioned a few times this year on AH that I would be hunting in Uganda this year with Jacques @JKO HUNTING SAFARIS. That has driven a few inquiries in the background with a few people here on AH. So I'm going to try and write this report a bit differently than normal in an effort to provide as much information as possible for those who may be interested in hunting "The Pearl of Africa" as Uganda likes to consider itself.

So my first few posts are not intended to bore you, but it may work out that way. Please bear with me, I will eventually get to the good stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uganda - Why hunt there?

The first reason I find for hunting in Uganda is that it simply has not been a hunting destination for quite sometime. It has only opened up to safaris in recent years. This has resulted in a large population of wildlife that has seen little pressure from hunting.

Next due to a year round growing season, the animals that inhabit the country generally do not suffer from swings in the climate. I personally would describe Uganda not so much as the Pearl of Africa as I would the Garden of Eden. There is so much grass, browse and water that in comparison to other African countries, the wildlife have it quite easy and that results in a larger carrying capacity.

Furthermore from what I gathered, and at least in the part of the country I hunted, poaching while present is not so prevalent. The people who lived in the area have a lot of respect for their wildlife. And with the prolific grasses, there is room for both wildlife and domestic animals (cattle and goats).

Finally there are species here to hunt that you don't find so much in other African countries. This includes Nile buffalo, Defassa Waterbuck, East African Impala and Nile Bushbuck.

This is not a place where you will struggle to find animals. It is a place you can hunt and be picky (and should be), to look for older mature animals. Be patient, you will see lots of game, and you will eventually find that true trophy.

Last edited:
This is going to be good! Looking forward to the next installments!

:A Popcorn:

Sounds very promising!
Would it be possible to give us some idea about prices?

Certainly. It would be easiest to do so by me emailing you the PDF with the pertinent information. Please PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

If anyone else would like this too, please do the same.

Traveling to Uganda

1) Visas

If you're a US citizen, you will need a visa. The government of Uganda however has streamlined this process and has a website to apply for a pre-approved visa online. I'm not sure what countries, if any, are not required to get a visa for entry into Uganda.

Go here: https://visas.immigration.go.ug

You want to apply for an ordinary tourist visa. This will require uploading a few documents in PDF format. I'm not sure I remember all of the documents but I know it included: Passport page with your picture on it, passport picture by itself, Yellow Fever vaccination card and flight itinerary.
I also uploaded my Covid vaccination cards.

On the subject of vaccinations, I'm quite certain you will NOT get a visa if you do not get vaccinated for Yellow Fever, so I wouldn't even try if you don't get this. Covid is I think another story. However if you didn't get vaccinated, I'm guessing you will need to take test to show you don't have it.

So in the end, I uploaded my documents, made the $50 payment online at about 9pm here in Phoenix one night. When I got up the next morning, there in my email was my pre-approved visa. The email included an attachment that you need to print out and bring with you to Uganda. The letter includes a barcode. At passport control you give them your passport of course and with it the letter. They read the barcode and in short order you are on your way.

2) Air Travel
There are a number of airlines you can use to get to Entebbe Airport. I will not bore you with this. We used Qatar Airways once again leaving out of Houston. This would have us scheduled to arrive at 10:30am in Entebbe, but as it worked out we were actually a little early.

A long layover of about 8 hours or so in Doha was burned using a pass to the Al Mourjan lounge and a stay in a hotel room. Anyone who has been to Doha probably knows of the Oryx Hotel that is at that center point of the airport with the big teddy bear. Those rooms are quite pricy. Initially we weren't going to get a hotel room, but in the end we needed a sleep. The Oryx Hotel was unfortunately sold out, but we were still in luck. Just this past September a new hotel that I'm sure is run by the same people opened near gate C14. It is called the Oryx Garden hotel and the rooms there run about 1/2 the price of the bigger hotel. So we got a room there and that was worth it.

Now as some of you know, there is an outbreak of Ebola virus in the northern part of the country at the moment that apparently started prior to our arrival in Uganda. The U.S. government while we were there stepped into the situation and required anyone arriving in the U.S. who has been to Uganda to fly into one of five different airports. Houston is not on the list. Long story shortened, we ended up rebooked into Atlanta. On arrival at Passport control, the computer had us flagged and we had to go speak to an agent from the CDC. In all of about 60 seconds we were done with that and back on our way.

The beauty of this was it only cost us $275 to get an additional ticket back to Houston on Delta..... :-(

Oh well, we ended up in Houston some 5 or 6 hours later than originally planned. This would not have been so bad if we didn't have a 3 hour drive back to KJ's house in the Austin area.

Back to Qatar Airways, they did not disappoint. Check-in in Houston was a snap and handled very well. The stops in Doha were fine and they were aware there of us traveling with firearms. They keep tight control of the firearms and I find that assuring.

The only real hiccup with QA was at check-in in Entebbe on return leg. They're not quite used to the gun process and this took a bit longer than it should have. We arrived there about 3 hours before departure and used it all up. I recommend being there 4 hours in advance as a result.

On a side note, we used Travel With Guns (TWG) to book our travel. They were a great help in getting the rebooking completed and with the overall process. I have no complaints with there service.

One other recommendation is that you should try to arrive in Uganda in the morning. Traveling by road after dark is something that ours and perhaps other outfitters will not do. Once you get out of the city the chance of having a run in with animals both domestic or wild is just too high. If you have a 5 or 6 hour drive, 2 hours in the airport, its dark by 7pm, well you can do the math.

3) Firearm Importation
This process seemed to be a bit less efficient than it could be. @JKO HUNTING SAFARIS is partnered with a local Ugandan hunting outfitter. One of the staff there will be at the airport to help you out with this. You will provide some information to him, such as serial numbers and ammunition count in advance. This will all be checked when you get to Entebbe. The slow part of it was that it seemed like 5 or 6 gov't officials there are part of this process, seems like one or at most two would be sufficient.

While a bit slow, the Ugandan officials were very courteous, polite and welcoming of us. In fact I messed up a bit. On my last trip to the gun range before leaving, I ended up with 40 rounds of .470NE which was exactly what I said I'd bring. But I ended up with 46 rounds for my .375 which was 6 more than I said I'd bring. And I knew this, but all I had to do was take those 6 rounds out of the box to bring my count to 40. But of course I forgot and as I opened my ammo box I could immediately see that there was about to be a problem.

Well the main guy there that did the count was quite okay with it. He would only let me take 40 rounds with me, he would keep the 6 extra and give them back to me when we left. And in fact he did just that.

When it was all said and done, it was about 2 hours from wheels on the landing strip to us walking out the door to start our Ugandan adventure. All in all not bad.

How hard was it to get your yellow fever vaccination?
Not sure for Phil, but I was vaccinated twice for yellow fever. Expiry in general is 10 years.
My procedure experience was simple.
Go to public health office, asked for YF vaccination, and I got it immediately on request.
They asked why, answer was due to visiting high risk areas, on business (or as tuorist)
Vaccination certificate was issued. Photo from internet.
The_New_Cover_of_the_International_Certificate_of_Vaccination_issued_by_the_Philippines.jpg

How hard was it to get your yellow fever vaccination?

I got mine a few years ago when we still had Burkina Faso and we were planning a trip there. As I recall it wasn’t available just anywhere, but it also wasn’t that difficult to find either. I believe you are a DC area resident. If you do a Google search on “Yellow Fever Vaccine” along with your location, it should pop up a number of options.

Camp
The camp we were in is on the banks of Kachira Lake. The area we would hunt in is west of this lake, but east of the Lake Mburo National Park. Lake Mburo is to the west of Kachira Lake.

A couple of links that give you a better idea of where camp is:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/0°36'45.4%22S+31°05'18.3%22E/@-0.6126177,31.0878818,185m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m13!1m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x1ffdd0cace9e206!2sLake+Mburo+National+Park!8m2!3d-0.5805323!4d30.9919254!3m5!1s0x0:0x310680e73a14551d!7e2!8m2!3d-0.6126192!4d31.0884286

https://www.google.com/maps/place/0°36'45.4%22S+31°05'18.3%22E/@-0.5942684,30.9940209,12z/data=!4m13!1m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x1ffdd0cace9e206!2sLake+Mburo+National+Park!8m2!3d-0.5805323!4d30.9919254!3m5!1s0x0:0x310680e73a14551d!7e2!8m2!3d-0.6126192!4d31.0884286

The camp accommodations consist of heavy canvas tents that are setup on a hardwood floor. The floor is on an elevated brick foundation. In the back of the tent there is an opening and an actual door that leads into a bathroom with a shower, toilet and sink.

There is electrical power provided by solar panels on top of the tent. Those panel also charge batteries which are connected to an inverter and you have electricity available at night for the lights and whatever else you may need.

The solar power is also used to heat water for the shower. However this does not work during the night obviously, so I recommend showering at the end of the hunting day or before bed. The water will be cold by morning.

Water is provided by the lake and is fine for showering. It should NOT be used for drinking or even brushing your teeth. It is not purified and you will end up sick if you ingest it. There is lots of bottled water in camp to use for drinking or tooth brushing.

The tents include chairs a couple of tables and a place to put your clothes. The bed has a mattress and is surrounded by mosquito netting. All in all it isn't a 4 or 5 star resort, but it isn't exactly roughing it either.

There are some 4 or 5 of these tents in camp up the hill from the dining area. The dining area is an open air thatched roof building. It has lots of room to eat and when not at the dining table plenty of chairs to relax in.

There are monkeys in the area, the most entertaining of which were the Colubus monkeys. They're quite beautiful and have a call I won't even try to describe, you must hear it for yourself. I know there are hippos about as I heard them, but never did see any. There is also something of a resident Nile bushbuck ewe that comes and goes as she pleases. Adding to the list there are leopard about, the monkeys will let you know when one is near camp.

Food
I can't say that I've ever been disappointed by the food I've had on any of my trips to Africa. I have been somewhat disappointed that on some hunts we didn't eat as much wild game as I would have liked.

This hunt would not disappoint. In fact this was the best food I've had on safari. While breakfast meats were bacon and sausage, virtually every other meal featured game meat. This included impala, eland, buffalo and warthog. Warthog ribs are fantastic by the way, who knew? I also greatly enjoyed the buffalo which I've always heard was not good. My hat was off to the chef too for cooking up some buffalo heart.

Now meat is not the only thing to enjoy in camp. This is a tropical area with a year round growing season. This means wonderful tomatoes, avocado and other fresh vegetables. It also means great pineapple and papaya. And the cook knows what he's doing with all of these.

Dining Area

Dining Tent.jpg

My tent

Sleeping Tent.jpeg

Colubus Monkey, note the long tail.
COLUBUS.jpeg

Can you spot the bushbuck ewe? This was in front of my tent.
88D66A80-46AE-47A5-B419-BF266A9A4814_1_105_c.jpeg

A view from the dining area to the lake's edge. Can you spot the Colubus?
C1238085-226A-44E5-9790-201F1F16B7CE_1_105_c.jpeg

It looks like in my previous post the Google links did not come thru as hot links. But if you copy and paste the URLs into a browser tab, they go to the right place.

Now.......if I could just go back to sleep.....I woke up at 3am here in Phoenix and continued on with this report....time to go back to bed.

The good stuff starts coming later today or this evening I promise.

Keep it coming.

Beautiful, anxiously waiting for more. :A Popcorn: :A Popcorn:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad92Q

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?