Tusks sold at Texas auction

Zinz

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Not sure where to post this, but I was curiously watching this auction over the weekend. Two sizeable tusks sold up in Dallas for over $27,500 after fees. Terms stated they could only be sold to Texas residents.

48 and 64 lbs…

1D0EC4AF-5695-426C-A440-DF0A2D8B0EAC.jpeg

Lotta money for someone else’s ivory…

Ed Z

What is the cost to get replicas made?
My replicas were $1200 in Botswana.

It’s a conundrum if your kids don’t want the ivory. I know my son will keep mine.

I’m just thinking that a resourceful person could use this as a way to fund a portion of an elephant hunt. I personally think having the actual ivory would be very special, but it is an option.

I’m just thinking that a resourceful person could use this as a way to fund a portion of an elephant hunt. I personally think having the actual ivory would be very special, but it is an option.
It has to be old ivory imported before the CITES I designation in 1989. Mine from 2021 can never be sold.

It has to be old ivory imported before the CITES I designation in 1989. Mine from 2021 can never be sold.
Not that you would sell your ivory, of course. It is unfortunate though as that could have been a means for a prospective elephant hunter funding a safari. It seems that lawmakers like to make life more difficult for the hunter.

I suppose my curiosity lies in the buyer… why spend that kinda dough on someone else’s trophy, when reproduction tusks are available?

I suppose my curiosity lies in the buyer… why spend that kinda dough on someone else’s trophy, when reproduction tusks are available?
I guess ivory has an intrinsic value all its own. Much like any scarce commodity.

I guess ivory has an intrinsic value all its own. Much like any scarce commodity.

True enough. I have no idea what an intricately carved tusk sells for, but if the base material is that much, a finished piece must be 10x…?? No idea…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EzequielOd

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.