Trophy Preparation Issues

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
26,146
Reaction score
28,940
Location
Canada
Media
419
Articles
27
Hunting reports
Africa
9
USA/Canada
2
Europe
1
So, for those of you who have had trophies prepared in the heat and humidity of Africa;

What are the problems that you ran into (?) and how would you help advise those that are going on the next hunt what they should look for in GOOD and BAD trophy handling at any stage in the process.

I hope to take care of the good clean shot part myself. After that.....
 
Animals should be skinned as soon as possible, cape washed well, and make sure the horns and cape are tagged. Most of the time the cape and horns are put in salt, make sure the salt is worked in everywhere. Then all you have to worry about is that they are delivered to the right dip and ship company or taxidermy business. It is extremely important the right trophies are delivered and the paperwork and permit go along too.
 
As Enysse indicated the skinning and washing as soon as possible...Tags are well places... my skulls were boiled in camp and salted...Go check on your animals daily if you think you need to...i went 4 days just to visit and see how he was doing...Take pictures and get the skinner in the pictures...if they know you care they will give you there very best...I had all 7 of my animals in the states with in 6 weeks from the time i left camp...

I have done my fair share of capping and skinning and fleshing hides in the field and i was impressed with our skinner...
 
James and E thanks those are good ideas. A visit to see how the work is done and also as genuine recognition of the work that is done would go a long way anywhere.
Tags in place. I'll have to ask about that one.
Washing the capes is backwards to what I have been taught. If that is the way to do it, do as the romans do.
Again, thanks.
 
You want all of the blood out and anything else. The salt will take care of the rest. Blood that lies on a cape will stain it permanently...for the most part. I have seen zebra and springbok capes wrecked. I think the zebra is gorgeous and could not stand to see blood stains.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,314
Messages
1,572,612
Members
169,593
Latest member
PFCAbigail
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top