Trophy importation

Dawg2019

AH veteran
Joined
Sep 1, 2019
Messages
117
Reaction score
311
Location
Georgia
Media
36
Hunting reports
Africa
1
My first trophies are at the shipping distributor in SA. I have read a number of posts on here recommending Coppersmith and other such companies to assist with the importation is trophies. This was my first safari and first time importing trophies. I live in Atlanta where they will be arriving. I guess my question is, how big of a pain is it to handle it alone? Vs using Coppersmith? They quoted me $660 to get the crate through customs and hold it in their warehouse and I will get it from there, seems high.
 
Hey bud Acworth resident here....I would not suggest you not do it alone. I just used Hunters International for my last Safari in June which included leopard (cities permit needed) and was quite satisfied. PM me if you’d like to talk. What ya got coming in?
 
FF0F555F-44B4-4C79-8DCF-0C00996F0200.jpeg
6DA5AFD5-259E-4466-A159-86EEC99E993E.jpeg
F68E6304-8973-428F-B80F-300284C75C6E.jpeg
E55B494C-1A93-4EB0-9365-1C7EDBDEB696.jpeg
 
Congrats on your hunt and you've got some great mounts! We would love to help with your customs clearances! We will handle everything for you including reviewing and approving all documents prior to shipment, scheduling and being present for the inspections in ATL, and filing the clearances once the shipment passes inspections. We have a special AH member deal for $400.00 flat! No surprise charges or fees. We can accomodate delivery to your home if you'd like or provide you with full pick up details if you'd like to pick it up yourself once its cleared. PM sent your way!
 
Hey bud Acworth resident here....I would not suggest you not do it alone. I just used Hunters International for my last Safari in June which included leopard (cities permit needed) and was quite satisfied. PM me if you’d like to talk. What ya got coming in?
i use hunter inter,maria,great choice,i knew you had your head on straight johnny.
 
Knowing what I know now, if I lived in Atlanta, I'd do it myself but only if the taxidermist and shipper are first rate operations. For a first timer with no mentor to guide them through the process, and more money than time, go with Trophy Shippers. Four hundred bucks is cheap and if there's issues, they know the ropes. If it's not too pricey, get it delivered to your home. Atlanta F&W are good guys but dealing with the Delta Cargo gang at Hartsfield can be problematic.

Edit: With the U.S. holidays, this is not prime time of the year to import trophies from Africa. They may sit because of vacations and people off for the holidays. Don't ask me how I know.
 
Don't try it alone. Get professional help from Trophy Shippers or Safari Specialty Importers. I've used SSI for my last safaris with no problems. They handle everything from the taxidermist in Africa to your taxidermist here and keep you informed of the progress. If there are any problems they take care of it and you just sit back and wait.
 
I too would advise the use of a broker, especially for the first timer. It can be daunting. I did it myself a couple of times, pretty smooth but ran afowl (LOL) of the FWS last time and wont do so again! Long story. I eventually got my stuff cleared but not without some angst. SSI helped me thru it.
 
Plus 1 for Trophy Shippers, Tom handled ours this year and will definitely use them next year.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,355
Messages
1,573,915
Members
169,872
Latest member
LanoraKidw
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top