Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Folks,

So the plan is for a leopard hunt in 2026. I'm planning to take my 470NE double and my .375HH M70. The .375 would be used for the leopard. Anticipating a hunt over bait and likely sitting in a blind in the dark. So hence, I'd like an illuminated scope.

Researched the various brands this week and leaning towards this scope. Per Trijicon's website it is a Second Focal Plane scope and has a constant eye relief of 3.9". This latter feature I find appealing when putting it on .375HH and that it doesn't change with zoom.

Have any of you used this scope for a leopard hunt at night or for that matter any kind of night hunting using ariticifical light? In the absolute dark, does the Tritium dot still show up bright enough to use?

Thanks,
Phil

Anyone, anyone....Bueller?

Folks,

So the plan is for a leopard hunt in 2026. I'm planning to take my 470NE double and my .375HH M70. The .375 would be used for the leopard. Anticipating a hunt over bait and likely sitting in a blind in the dark. So hence, I'd like an illuminated scope.

Researched the various brands this week and leaning towards this scope. Per Trijicon's website it is a Second Focal Plane scope and has a constant eye relief of 3.9". This latter feature I find appealing when putting it on .375HH and that it doesn't change with zoom.

Have any of you used this scope for a leopard hunt at night or for that matter any kind of night hunting using ariticifical light? In the absolute dark, does the Tritium dot still show up bright enough to use?

Thanks,
Phil
@PHOENIX PHIL - I have used the Trijicon Accupoint 3x9 40mm with “illuminated” standard reticle and been very pleased. I’ve used it for night hunting coyote & fox (No leopard) for the past 8 years. The tritium is bright enough to shoot Fox out to 100 yrds and coyote out to 125 yrds against brown/leafy backgrounds - but you also need a small red or green flashlight to assist “outlining the animal” unless it is skylined in a tree or on bare snow. The illuminated “dot” in center of duplex reticle allows you to QUICKLY precisely acruise your target …much faster then Non illuminated crosshairs. I’ve often thought of what scope I would use if I ever go on a Leopard hunt - it would be the Trijicon Accupoint !

I've owned two Trijicon Accupoint scopes. Both were top quality items but I sold relatively quickly. My problem with them is the material used to make them "illuminated" is tritium, because tritium has a half-life of 12.5 years. This means that 12.5 years after the time of manufacture, the illumination will be half as bright. Then another 12.5 years and it's halved again and you are now at 25% of the original brightness. Of course the upside is no batteries.

An electronically illuminated scope does not suffer from this. A simple battery change will bring these back to life, not to mention the batteries can last several years. The quality of the electronics is much better than it was just 10 years ago. Example, my Swaro Z8i scopes that are now 5 years old are using the original batteries. I pulled it out to change it to see if there was a difference with a fresh one...nope, looks exactly the same. And on my leopard hunt 15 years from now...still gonna be the same with a new battery.

I understand that everyone has budgetary concerns and the scope you are looking at is under $1K. I found a comparable Leupold VX-5HD (8-setting illuminated, second focal plane & 3.8" of eye relief) at Euro Optic for a really good price if you are so inclined.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Leupold-V...ireDot-Duplex-Scope-Showroom-Demo-172368.aspx

Last edited:
I've owned two Trijicon Accupoint scopes. Both were top quality items but I sold relatively quickly. My problem with them is the material used to make them "illuminated" is tritium, because tritium has a half-life of 12.5 years. This means that 12.5 years after the time of manufacture, the illumination will be half as bright. Then another 12.5 years and it's halved again and you are now at 25% of the original brightness. Of course the upside is no batteries.

An electronically illuminated scope does not suffer from this. A simple battery change will bring these back to life, not to mention the batteries can last several years. The quality of the electronics is much better than it was just 10 years ago. Example, my Swaro Z8i scopes that are now 5 years old are using the original batteries. I pulled it out to change it to see if there was a difference with a fresh one...nope, looks exactly the same. And on my leopard hunt 15 years from now...still gonna be the same with a new battery.

I understand that everyone has budgetary concerns and the scope you are looking at is under $1K. I found a comparable Leupold VX-5HD (8-setting illuminated, second focal plane & 3.8" of eye relief) at Euro Optic for a really good price if you are so inclined.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Leupold-V...ireDot-Duplex-Scope-Showroom-Demo-172368.aspx
@BeeMaa - I’m aware of the slow deterioration of the “Tritium” used in Trijicon Accupoint illuminated scopes and that was a concern when I purchased. I was told that you can send the scope back to Trijicon and they will “re fill” the scope with tritium for Free. I’ve had mine for 11 years now and use it for Night hunting every Winter, I can’t really notice a deterioration in brightness yet - but I assume that it has occurred and been so gradual that I failed to notice it. The illuminated dot - in center of reticle - is still plenty bright to make shots on dark nights and that is never the problem, the “problem” is finding the outline of the animal and especially with No snow on the ground. A small “brown animal” (coyote, raccoon etc.) against a BROWN leafy background blends right in and provides little contrast ——this has nothing to do with the scope or illuminated dot….it’s just the challenge of night hunting and using a red light vs. thermal imaging optics or good night vision. Once out past 100 yrds just clearly identifying the target (without using too Bright a light and spooking it) can be difficult.
I was Not aware of how long Your batteries last - same one for Years is impressive. I’m guessing the only real risk of battery going dead early is if you forget and leave it turned on (which would be Me). Also, do you leave the battery in the scope when you store it away for a year? If so, any risk the battery will leak or corrode - as alkaline batteries can in a flashlight?

The better scopes turn the light off if the rifle sits too long without moving. Europtic has VX 6 marked down to $1200 you can usually get a clean used one for less

I have owned 3 trijicons, and own lighted Swaro’s, great scopes.

I prefer the Leupold VX6
Slimmer, lighter, and I prefer the ergonomics

“”” Motion Sensor Technology (MST), which puts the illuminated reticles into a battery-saving standby mode after five minutes of inactivity. When the MST detects motion, it instantly activates the sight, so it's ready when you are.

Another feature exclusive to the VX-6HD is Leupold’s Electronic Reticle Level. Tilt the VX-6HD more than one degree left or right and the illuminated reticle blinks. Bring it back to level, and the reticle will remain solid. Tilt beyond 30 degrees and the illumination turns off to save battery life. This is a great feature for long-range shooting or even mounting your scope.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg...”””

The better scopes turn the light off if the rifle sits too long without moving. Europtic has VX 6 marked down to $1200 you can usually get a clean used one for less

I have owned 3 trijicons, and own lighted Swaro’s, great scopes.

I prefer the Leupold VX6
Slimmer, lighter, and I prefer the ergonomics

“”” Motion Sensor Technology (MST), which puts the illuminated reticles into a battery-saving standby mode after five minutes of inactivity. When the MST detects motion, it instantly activates the sight, so it's ready when you are.

Another feature exclusive to the VX-6HD is Leupold’s Electronic Reticle Level. Tilt the VX-6HD more than one degree left or right and the illuminated reticle blinks. Bring it back to level, and the reticle will remain solid. Tilt beyond 30 degrees and the illumination turns off to save battery life. This is a great feature for long-range shooting or even mounting your scope.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg...”””
@Altitude sickness - I must say that just the “thought” of an illuminated scope that Turns-itself-off would keep me from ever buying it, in my mind (which might be a bit OCD) I picture having my rifle steady, on a solid rest, aimed at a “trophy” and waiting for a good shot - maybe waiting 5-10 minutes and the when I go to squeeze DARKNESS….there goes my Leopard of a LIFEtime ! Unlikely I know but that’s how my rationale works.

@HankBuck - If you consider unmounting and mailing your scope back to Trijicon so it has to be rezeroed when it comes back "free"...you are welcome to it. That said, Trijicon is a solid brand used by our military extensively. I just don't have the time or inclination to dabble in that world with the other options that are available.

@Altitude sickness - The VX-5HD I linked above shuts off the illumination after five minutes of inactivity and comes on instantly when it's moved. I have a red dot on my home defense shotgun that has "shake awake" technology. Works great.

@HankBuck - The AR I brought out to your place has an Aim Point T2 with a reticle that is always on. ALWAYS! Would you prefer that?

I do not find Trijicon or Leupold to have the best picture at night (for my eyes). I understand why you would want the additional eye relief with a 375h&h.

I guess my question is after reading a good amount of comments on Leopard hunts. Would a 375h&h be the best choice for a Leopard?

Not sure any of that helps you.

@HankBuck - If you consider unmounting and mailing your scope back to Trijicon so it has to be rezeroed when it comes back "free"...you are welcome to it. That said, Trijicon is a solid brand used by our military extensively. I just don't have the time or inclination to dabble in that world with the other options that are available.

@Altitude sickness - The VX-5HD I linked above shuts off the illumination after five minutes of inactivity and comes on instantly when it's moved. I have a red dot on my home defense shotgun that has "shake awake" technology. Works great.

@HankBuck - The AR I brought out to your place has an Aim Point T2 with a reticle that is always on. ALWAYS! Would you prefer that?
@BeeMaa - regarding having to send scope back to Trijicon every 10-12 years, Yes that’s a big pain and I have yet to do it. Sighting it back in upon return is very easy and less than 30 minutes of a “practice” session - for which I’m lucky to always be set up for….plus varmint caliber ammo is cheap.
As far as your 2nd Q on the AIMPOINT T2 - YES, any reticle that is always “ON” and ready would be acceptable to me…..simple is always better.

@Altitude sickness - I must say that just the “thought” of an illuminated scope that Turns-itself-off would keep me from ever buying it, in my mind (which might be a bit OCD) I picture having my rifle steady, on a solid rest, aimed at a “trophy” and waiting for a good shot - maybe waiting 5-10 minutes and the when I go to squeeze DARKNESS….there goes my Leopard of a LIFEtime ! Unlikely I know but that’s how my rationale works.

That is the beauty of having so many choices. Most prefer Swaro and Triji’s

With regards to the dot shutting off on its own

as soon as you move it ever so slightly it turns back on

much easier, faster and silent than having to locate and turn on a switch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BerndHunge

Latest profile posts

jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com