Treks Across The Veld by Theodore J. Waldeck

Sourdough

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Joined
Jun 24, 2022
Messages
874
Reaction score
5,674
Media
36
Hunting reports
Africa
4
Member of
AK WSF, AMM, DSC, GOA, GRAA, NRA, PHASA, SCI, WRSA, WSF, TUSK
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Argentina, Canada, England, France, Macedonia, Mexico, Serbia, Alaska, USA
This is the book that started it all for me back in 1963 when I was 8 years old. At recess while the other children played on the playground I found a bush that I could crawl inside of and be instantly whisked away to Africa. "Treks Across The Veld" was the first of many.

Having long lost that book I recently purchased a copy and just finished reading it for only the second time. What a great story teller is Theodore J. Waldeck. It closes with:

"She is a merciless mother to the unfit, those who can hardly endure. She gives to each one, good and bad, weak and strong, the glories of the night and the day, the sunrise and the sunset, like nothing to be seen anywhere else in the world. She produces children of the mountain and veld with a prodigal fecundity, and she gives them the hardness and the softness of Africa, equally. But she gives them, also equally, of death and destruction, for she must play fair with her children that live on her other children, her own and the adopted ones, like you and me, who understand her, and fight with her, and obey her. There is no mother like her anywhere. It seems to me that here somewhere is the cradle of the living things of all the earth, for in no other place in the world is there so much for one mother to cherish, and punish, and cuff and fondle..."

IMG_7884.jpg
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,325
Messages
1,572,973
Members
169,672
Latest member
Matt Price
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top