Website
onlygunsandmoney.com
Articles
Member of
NRA, SAF, SCI, DSC
Hunted
South Africa
From The Citizen:

OR Tambo International Airport is grappling with an operational nightmare on Saturday, during one of the busiest travel periods of the year. The airport’s luggage sortation system has broken down, causing a delay in baggage handling and delivery, just as holiday travellers were gearing up for festive celebrations.

Passengers have been left in the lurch, finding themselves without their luggage and essential personal belongings as the airport rushes to address the issue.

Kirby Gordon, chief marketing officer of FlySafair, said that around 3 000 bags needed to be returned to its customers. He estimated that twice that number of passengers will be affected across other airlines.

The fallout from this operational disaster extends beyond inconvenience, translating into financial implications. Ground handling companies have had to deploy extra staff and allocate overtime.

Airlines are now facing hefty courier bills for shipping luggage to reunite them with passengers. The incident prompted MSC Cruises to delay the departure of a ship from Durban harbour, incurring substantial costs.

“This is not just an inconvenience for travellers; it has significant financial repercussions for both passengers and airlines alike. The sheer scale of affected luggage and passengers demands a swift and comprehensive resolution,” said Gordon.

The baggage chaos at the airport might have been coming for a few days. One person, who asked to remain anonymous, told The Citizen she experienced a delay when flying last week when the conveyer belts were not working. This meant she could not check in her family’s luggage.

from what I read traveller's aren't stranded.....but their luggage is....one cruise ship delayed their departure costing them big bucks, as think either 20 or 40 passengers where waiting for their luggage...but had to leave without the bags after few hours.....

This is why I always have my scripts and one day's hunting clothes and boots in my carry on bags. Worse comes to worse, it just necessitates a stop at a camo hunting clothes store in town and a grocery store for my daily snack fix. Me and my outlier rifle cartridges though, ammo in a checked bag, I'd be SOL.

This is why I always have my scripts and one day's hunting clothes and boots in my carry on bags. Worse comes to worse, it just necessitates a stop at a camo hunting clothes store in town and a grocery store for my daily snack fix. Me and my outlier rifle cartridges though, ammo in a checked bag, I'd be SOL.
On both of my trips I didn't even sweat the rifle and ammo part.

If my luggage didn't arrive with me then I'd just use a rental rifle.

I too pack a change of clothes along with my prescriptions and binoculars in my carry on along with wearing my hunting boots for the trip over.

I'd hate to have to spend a couple of days chasing down luggage and with what I take with me I can still hunt.

Ah yes. SOL, The Seaboard Oak Line, who hasn't been on that railroad line before?

As mentioned, I always carry on my binoculars, personal essentials, and one complete hunting outfit including boots. The rest can be hired/rented. If my rifle shows up, but not my check bag with ammo, then I can find 300wm or 375h&h on the ground.

The more I go to Africa, the less I seem to take each trip. I think I could almost fit everything I need in my carry on, if it weren't for the fact that you have to store your ammo in your checked bag. But I'd definitely air on the side of caution and pack as many essentials as you can in your carry on. That would make losing your luggage a little less painful at least.

From The Citizen:

OR Tambo International Airport is grappling with an operational nightmare on Saturday, during one of the busiest travel periods of the year. The airport’s luggage sortation system has broken down, causing a delay in baggage handling and delivery, just as holiday travellers were gearing up for festive celebrations.

Passengers have been left in the lurch, finding themselves without their luggage and essential personal belongings as the airport rushes to address the issue.

Kirby Gordon, chief marketing officer of FlySafair, said that around 3 000 bags needed to be returned to its customers. He estimated that twice that number of passengers will be affected across other airlines.

The fallout from this operational disaster extends beyond inconvenience, translating into financial implications. Ground handling companies have had to deploy extra staff and allocate overtime.

Airlines are now facing hefty courier bills for shipping luggage to reunite them with passengers. The incident prompted MSC Cruises to delay the departure of a ship from Durban harbour, incurring substantial costs.

“This is not just an inconvenience for travellers; it has significant financial repercussions for both passengers and airlines alike. The sheer scale of affected luggage and passengers demands a swift and comprehensive resolution,” said Gordon.

The baggage chaos at the airport might have been coming for a few days. One person, who asked to remain anonymous, told The Citizen she experienced a delay when flying last week when the conveyer belts were not working. This meant she could not check in her family’s luggage.

Love this airport, but the RSA is now a Third World country. A baggage problem should not be surprising. Schucks, this sort of thing happens in the USA under Mayor Pete's leadership.

Love this airport, but the RSA is now a Third World country. A baggage problem should not be surprising. Schucks, this sort of thing happens in the USA under Mayor Pete's leadership.
I'll second that! Thinking back, for the past 2-3 years, I do not believe I or a family member who I am responsible for have not had a glitch-free air travel experience, foreign or domestic. You betcha about good ole Mayor Pete too, "He's presidential material don't you know". And in reality, all my inconveniences, both in lost time and significant lost $, with traveling through Africa have paled in comparison to those losses in the US and rest of the world.

Ditto to the posts in this thread about planning for lost bags by taking essentials in carry on. Also a wake up call for those considering taking expensive "bespoke" guns for travel. Not so "romantic" worrying about that potential. One reason I don't have any "bespoke" hunting rifles. :)

What is there to love about JNB? Biggest bunch of thieves, ever.

The more I go to Africa, the less I seem to take each trip. I think I could almost fit everything I need in my carry on, if it weren't for the fact that you have to store your ammo in your checked bag. But I'd definitely air on the side of caution and pack as many essentials as you can in your carry on. That would make losing your luggage a little less painful at least.
I am with you on less is more!

It sounds like there were both mechanical and personnel issues that led to this chaos. What a mess!
As has been said here, be prepared for anything when traveling.

for the past 2-3 years, I do not believe I or a family member who I am responsible for have not had a glitch-free air travel experience, foreign or domestic.

Seriously?

Last 3 years I have approx 3-350 flights, domestic and international.
I have not lost any luggage, nothing has been stolen from my luggage.
1 or 2 cancelled flights (rebooked with no drama), and 4 over-night delays (again no stress, airline arranges transport, hotels and rebooking).

I’m finding most of the larger airports are really slipping in, let’s face it, the quality of employees and their attention to their jobs and details. I have really seen a degradation of quality the past couple of years. It never ceases to amaze me how someone can work day in day out checking passengers and luggage in a major airport where hunters regularly pass through with their firearms and be so absolutely clueless. It concerns me a great deal as to the quality of those maintaining and those regulating the maintenance of the actual aircraft too.

On both of my trips I didn't even sweat the rifle and ammo part.

If my luggage didn't arrive with me then I'd just use a rental rifle.

I too pack a change of clothes along with my prescriptions and binoculars in my carry on along with wearing my hunting boots for the trip over.

I'd hate to have to spend a couple of days chasing down luggage and with what I take with me I can still hunt.

Me too, I've never been in a camp where I couldn't scrap up enough clothes, rifle or ammo to hunt. I've had PHs try to give me there shirts and coats. I had PHs and other hunters offer rifles and ammo when mine didn't make it, there is a culture there of just making it work with what you have, I actually find it extraordinarily redeeming.

I too carry what I need to hunt with in my carry-on. My sister’s bag didn’t arrive this last summer. (Landing gear issue in Montana, then airline switch last minute). She completed our 3 week trip with the need to only buy a pair of boots and a pair of jeans. Between us we had enough clothing and items to cover her easily.

Overall we have had some problems with airlines, but most are merely bumps in the adventure and are easily overcome. The more adventuresome the travel, the more bumps.

@GuttormG Wow. that is vastly different than my experience. You must have developed some travel skills that should be shared one day............FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShantellMc

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]