"But grandpa, I really don't like guns. Howzabout you leava me your
Rolex watch instead."
"Shuddup an lissin. Somma day you gonna runna da business, you gonna
have a beautifula wife, lotsa money, a biga home and maybe a couple a
bambinos. Somma day you gonna coma home and maybe find you wife
inna bed with another man. "Whadda you gonna do then ... pointa to you
watch anda say, 'Times Up'?"
I’ll allow it :ROFLMAO:

Don't lose any sleep over it. I doubt the crowd that plays with Rolodex watches and double rifles would be much discouraged by your comment. :D They live in a different world than you and me.
@Ontario Hunter - well, careful because i own a double rifle (.470 NE) admire them all - like fine art…admire Rolex too for the craftsmanship and timeless design (but went with an Omega). I can justify a $50,000 rifle more then a $30,000 car —- one will last 100 years, appreciate in value AND “still work”

Don't lose any sleep over it. I doubt the crowd that plays with Rolodex watches and double rifles would be much discouraged by your comment. :D They live in a different world than you and me.
We also know guys with Rolexes and DRs don’t “hunt hard” either. . They also have nice optics on their bolt rifles. How gauche. :)

@Ontario Hunter - well, careful because i own a double rifle (.470 NE) admire them all - like fine art…admire Rolex too for the craftsmanship and timeless design (but went with an Omega). I can justify a $50,000 rifle more then a $30,000 car —- one will last 100 years, appreciate in value AND “still work”
Come away from the Dark Side! :D

In your defense, you operate in a different world than virtually everybody.

Good joke! and good idea on the trade! Brian

OH, I find your comment unnecessary and distasteful. I have a Rolex and a double rifle, I 'play' with neither, but cherish both. The former was given to me by my four daughters after we put them all through university, not without sacrifice. The latter I saved for and sold another rifle to obtain, eventually at the age of 69. You have often said that you can afford anything, but choose not to. Fair enough. But that gives you no right to belittle those who choose to spend their hard earned cash the way they wish.

Well said Kevin. It is really disturbing that some feel the need to belittle others choices.

I wish the OP the best of luck in this endeavor. We may have a new transaction category!

agreed! i own 4 rolexes, 2 double rifles, a toyota tundra, and love them all. guess which 6 items have appreciated, and the one that has depreciated.

That Rolex will hold its value better than the USD.

I see nothing wrong with the trade and hope he finds a nice double.

Well said Kevin. It is really disturbing that some feel the need to belittle others choices.

I wish the OP the best of luck in this endeavor. We may have a new transaction category!
I think this is a great idea and have liked trading things since grade school! Its much more fun and there is also a satisfaction in having some idea of the next person to enjoy the thing you last owned!

We could establish ground rules like there are for classified such as stated trade value, location, etc?

There are always bigger fish, and always greater things to aspire to for all of us. Candidly, we are all blessed with the good fortune of being able to pursue and realize some if not many of our dreams. For me, the pursuit of hunting in North America and other continents is a blessing for which I am extremely grateful!

On this topic, rather than put part of earnings in stocks and other investments, I chose watches and guns. Now Im retired and I liquidate or trade with the things of value that I have. It may come across as pretentious but that is not my intent.

I wish everyone good fortune and good health and the time and opportunity to pursue their passions!
I met Franz a few weeks ago when he brought his brother-in-law and I together for a face to face transaction. His BIL bought a nice Merkel 140AE .470NE double-rifle that I was selling. The 3 of us had a great visit (parked on a secluded gravel road, staring and reaching into my open car trunk, hoping that no one would report us as drug dealers) and shared stories and laughs of our safari aspirations, experiences, and fine firearms in general. An hour later, they drove away with a very nice rifle for his BIL and I drove away with a large sum of $. Everyone was happy. I remember Franz saying that he would also like to own a similar rifle, but he felt the need to make a financially responsible decision due to being retired. I respected him for his discipline and restraint. Franz seems to be likeable, intelligent, trustworthy, and an overall great guy that has an excitement for African adventure, just like most of us. For anyone that is considering doing business with him, please consider this statement to be a full enforcement. I have dealt with several members on this forum during transactions over the last 2 years, so hopefully I have at least of modest amount of credibility. I'm guessing that he didn't expect his seemingly-benign post to roll in the direction that it has, but I applaud him for the grace that he has demonstrated in handling it. Franz, I hope that you get your double, and I hope that you bring home many trophies from Africa next year. Cheers, my friend. - Jake

Shoot me a PM, I might be open to it depending on what you have.

I met Franz a few weeks ago when he brought his brother-in-law and I together for a face to face transaction. His BIL bought a nice Merkel 140AE .470NE double-rifle that I was selling. The 3 of us had a great visit (parked on a secluded gravel road, staring and reaching into my open car trunk, hoping that no one would report us as drug dealers) and shared stories and laughs of our safari aspirations, experiences, and fine firearms in general. An hour later, they drove away with a very nice rifle for his BIL and I drove away with a large sum of $. Everyone was happy. I remember Franz saying that he would also like to own a similar rifle, but he felt the need to make a financially responsible decision due to being retired. I respected him for his discipline and restraint. Franz seems to be likeable, intelligent, trustworthy, and an overall great guy that has an excitement for African adventure, just like most of us. For anyone that is considering doing business with him, please consider this statement to be a full enforcement. I have dealt with several members on this forum during transactions over the last 2 years, so hopefully I have at least of modest amount of credibility. I'm guessing that he didn't expect his seemingly-benign post to roll in the direction that it has, but I applaud him for the grace that he has demonstrated in handling it. Franz, I hope that you get your double, and I hope that you bring home many trophies from Africa next year. Cheers, my friend. - Jake
Thank you Jake! I sincerely appreciate the kind words! I look forward to getting together again when we have more time to sit and exchange stories without having our blood drained by the mosquitos!

I was a divorce lawyer for 22 years and, fortunately, dealing in that muck has made me impervious to what I regard as playful banter :)

Last edited:
In your defense, you operate in a different world than virtually everybody.
Hi. My name is wahoo. I tend to make irrational indefensible decisions based on a whim. Some of which are considered fiscally irresponsible and ridiculous. But damn I enjoy my terrible awful decisions and couldn’t give a damn what anyone thinks with exception of my family. And further I’m a huge enabler of all to make these awful decisions providing you are able to justify/support them and most importantly they make you smile. To each their own and I enable all in pursuit of happiness responsibly. Long live the double rifle and pursuit of the the finer things whatever the beholder’s eye defines as such!

OH, I find your comment unnecessary and distasteful. I have a Rolex and a double rifle, I 'play' with neither, but cherish both. The former was given to me by my four daughters after we put them all through university, not without sacrifice. The latter I saved for and sold another rifle to obtain, eventually at the age of 69. You have often said that you can afford anything, but choose not to. Fair enough. But that gives you no right to belittle those who choose to spend their hard earned cash the way they wish.
Rolex watches have been a SOLID investment for the last 25+ years! LOL! I bought a new Sea Dweller in 2002 for approx $4000 and wore it for 20 years EVERY DAY and sold it for $9800 a couple years back and have owned/own quite a few of them. They are like anything else high end/top shelf, they are recession proof and you will always make your money if you pay attention. Now that doesnt mean there are not some "dogs" out there in the Roli world but if you pay attention and ask questions if you dont know you will be more than fine putting your money into a fine time piece, enjoy it and then profit in the end when you are done. Diversify your investments and if you can kick the walls down they call peramaters there are all kinds of things that are much much safer to put your money in and will out perform most stocks/bonds. We have our standard investments and then what i/we call the things we can control. Fine firearms, Fine watches and the like...the things that interest me (and LOTS of others as well and thats why they do so well as investments). Always to each his own and what ever flips the ol skirt! LOL!

Im with ya so keep on enjoying your Rolex and your double rifle and we will just keep laughing all the way to the bank when we are done! LOL!

Trade away!!!!

Last edited:
I think this is a great idea and have liked trading things since grade school! Its much more fun and there is also a satisfaction in having some idea of the next person to enjoy the thing you last owned!

We could establish ground rules like there are for classified such as stated trade value, location, etc?
Trading or barter is all based on the value of the other person's item to you, not what they think it is worth if sold outright. And just as important is what value they place on what you offer in exchange. To some extent, the market values of the 2 offered items determine whether one side or the other might be willing, or need to add some cash or another item to make up the difference. That's part of the fun, and true value, of the barter system. It is hard, but certainly not impossible, to make a trade long distance based on description and pics. If shipping is involved, I'd caution to vet the other person involved in the trade just as you would in paying cash. Lots of trades have been done here on AH; another member & I just completed one with a FTF meeting. We both think we made a fair trade for something we will use, in exchange for something we weren't using. Not sure any additional rules are needed for a non-cash transaction. At the end of the day, you're just offering a unique form of currency.
Good luck with your offer! Hope someone with a double likes your Rolex more than their rifle!

Most of us have too many rifles. Or too many, you name it.

Trading is great way to get something different into the mix.

If the watch is one of the desirable models. The Rolex is much more liquid than a rifle.

That is one of the reasons why the Rolex company controls who buys them. They are so liquid they often get used as money laundering currency. It’s usually an even higher value brands like Patek and others. But the liquidity of Rolex is still a thing.

For example, You can wear a $100K or One Million dollar watch into a shady country to make your deal or get the intel you are after. But carrying $100K in cash can be an issue. One million dollars is bulky and weighs around 20 pounds and isn’t flying under the radar.

This is also what helps prop up the market

Heym best grade purchased used in 2010. 400% rate of return.

Rolex “Hulk” bought new in 2011. 280% rate of return.

Being on safari…priceless.

Reading others disparage appreciating assets…hilarious.

IMG_0214.jpeg

It seems to an attractive option so far and several members have already reached out to discuss potential trades :)

I agree that some rational safeguards should be considered by anyone doing trades. Using authorized watch dealers and FFL’s to help verify things would be prudent!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.