To hunt with a PH who is a friend or a PH you have never met?

Radelleski

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am new to posting on this forum although I have been an observer for many years.
Whats led me to finally posting is I am in a bit of a dilemma, and I would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

I am dead keen to go on a buffalo hunt next year in Zimbabwe (I am ex-Zimbabwean so its always been a dream to hunt buff in my birth country). So I contacted a good friend of mine who is currently a PH ( I have hunted PG with him before and he was fantastic) and runs an outfit in the Save Valley Conservancy. Here comes the dilemma - the package rate he has given me is about $3-US$5000 higher than I could get with other outfitters in other areas.

In your opinion would you go with a) a friend who is a PH, someone you trust implicitly, know their family etc and do you just wear the extra cost knowing its going to someone you know and a great conservancy.
Or b) go with a PH from another outfitter who you have never met to save $3-5k?

Now I also understand that Save Valley Conservancy costs a bit more camp wise etc - So the other part to my dilemma is - Is the Save Valley worth it versus say the zambezi valley?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Going the cheaper route can often cost a lot more money in the end. But if you have good references from the outfitter, there shouldn't be a problem. Just ask plenty questions.

I would say 90% of my clients I have never met until the safari.

Are you going to visit friends or going to hunt? Are the higher costs more than you want to or can spend? If you can combine all of this into one trip, great! But if not, then you have to pick from choices that you have.
Whatever you choose, have a great hunt!

That's definitely a dilemma. Being able to hunt with someone you know, especially after an animal like buffalo, certainly helps with peace of mind. That said, price definitely maters too.

For me it would come down to my confidence in stepping into the unknown on a DG hunt vs the value I place on hunting and spending time with a friend. For me personally, I would try to live frugally for a few months to help cover the costs.

Regarding the hunting locations, I have no experience there. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in soon.

Everyone is a stranger until you meet them, some become friends and some are just acquaintances.
Part of the experience is meeting new people and seeing new country.

Well I hate to say this but you should probably vet your friend just like any other outfitter. What is his success rate? What are the others you are looking at? References, etc etc.

Have you ever hunted with him? Sometimes it can be tough hunting with friends. I will say every PH so far that I have hunted with I felt like a friend when I left.

I personally would take the friend aspect out of it. This is a dream hunt. Even in Zim, 5k extra is alot of trophies fee, or taxidermist bill, or upgraded to first class for the flight in!

I agree with Simon. Check out the other outfitters very carefully!
I never met any of my outfitters until/PH until I actually hunted with them the first time. So yes they were strangers but became my friends during the hunt!
Some questions to be asked to compare the hunts being offered.....Are they hunting the same area? What are the size and quality animals to be expected? Are their references excellent....and make sure you speak Live to a couple of references.......? Then I think you must ask your friend why his quoted price is so much higher ?

Sound advice from all above. Whatever you choose have a great time!

And welcome to AH @Radelleski !

Sorry I failed to welcome you to AH sir.
Thanks reedy for reminding me of my manners!

I really second the advice about vetting anyone, to include family and friends, when it comes to a business deal. You need to lay out exactly what you are buying, and through references, assess the likelihood that what you have purchased will be delivered. Your friend is a businessman, I am confident he will fully understand that.

I would note, he would not last long in this highly competitive field if the extra 5k wasn't providing something his clients didn't perceive to be of value. Like a lot of things, hunting cheaper isn't always (or frankly often) hunting better.

Hi everyone,
I am new to posting on this forum although I have been an observer for many years.
Whats led me to finally posting is I am in a bit of a dilemma, and I would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

I am dead keen to go on a buffalo hunt next year in Zimbabwe (I am ex-Zimbabwean so its always been a dream to hunt buff in my birth country). So I contacted a good friend of mine who is currently a PH ( I have hunted PG with him before and he was fantastic) and runs an outfit in the Save Valley Conservancy. Here comes the dilemma - the package rate he has given me is about $3-US$5000 higher than I could get with other outfitters in other areas.

In your opinion would you go with a) a friend who is a PH, someone you trust implicitly, know their family etc and do you just wear the extra cost knowing its going to someone you know and a great conservancy.
Or b) go with a PH from another outfitter who you have never met to save $3-5k?

Now I also understand that Save Valley Conservancy costs a bit more camp wise etc - So the other part to my dilemma is - Is the Save Valley worth it versus say the zambezi valley?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Welcome to AH. I've not been to Save but have certainly read much about it. It was certainly legendary at one time but in recent years was suffering a bit. However I do think it is still doing overall well. And yes there are numerous operators in the SVC. Some are certainly more expensive then others and significantly so.

$3-5K difference is quite substantial these days and I would be careful to not assume the Zambezi valley operator is offering you the better deal. This operator may be offering you a much cheaper hunt but his price may be out of the normal low. In those cases I'm always inclined to ask why? Cheap deals are not always good deals.

So compare your friend in the Save to other operators in the Save. Also compare the valley operator to others there. And all of the other advice about vetting both above certainly is good advice.

So compare your friend in the Save to other operators in the Save. Also compare the valley operator to others there. And all of the other advice about vetting both above certainly is good advice.

Checking out the pricing by relative comparison (apples and apples) is a good idea.

After complete vetting and finding they are comparable in their areas, then you have to decide on the quality of the hunt you actually want.

Zambezi vs Save, hmmm. Different experiences.

I wish you well in your decision.

As others have said, compare SVC to SVC operators. And, ZVC to ZVC operators. Decide which area you want to hunt. Martin Pieters has a concession near Lake Kariba I believe - do you want to visit the falls too maybe. Or, Wayne Van Dehn Berg seems to have a very good reputation and you can go in / out of Buluwayo.

Lastly, I would talk with your friend about the differences in price. See what their perspective is. Tell him you aren't shopping around but that it is a sufficient difference to make you pause. I had that type of conversation with the outfitter I used for New Zealand last year and as we talked through it, we found common ground ( eliminated some things I didn't need and added some I wanted) and got to the price where we were both good with it.

Welcome to the forum. I have been to the Save three times in the last five years, all with good or great results. I have been through the Zambezi Valley and seen the game, but not hunted there. I think the biggest difference is whether they have had rain, therefore grass, and that is hard to plan a year or so in advance. I would ask your outfitter/P.H. what their overall success rate is for the last five years or so, and what they consider a trophy animal. I think both are great spots, good luck with your choice and tell us about it when you get back.

$3-$5k is quite a swing. It would make me think twice as well, but in the end Id probably go with what I know

Welcome!

Business is business. Vet your friend and treat him like you would any other outfitter. This isn't a "friend" trip. This is a business trip. Your "friend" agrees with this. It's why you're being charged client price.

If you really trust your friend implicitly then tell him your concerns and let him know why you're considering other options. Perhaps he will match the other offers you have, and at the least he should explain to you in detail why he costs more.

Would I pay a small premium to hunt with some of my friends here everything else being equal? Probably. But it wouldn't be much. I won't just hunt with the cheapest guy out there, but I will know where my value comes from.

Welcome!

Business is business. Vet your friend and treat him like you would any other outfitter. This isn't a "friend" trip. This is a business trip. Your "friend" agrees with this. It's why you're being charged client price.

I was just thinking the same thing. You are scaring me Royal.

You should see a pic of him after shooting a .505 Gibbs! Wouldn't you say @ActionBob?

Weirdest feeling.... People were laughing at me... Almost like I was marked or something....

IMG-20160902-WA0004.jpg

I wouldn't have laughed at you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FinleyBoni

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?