Thoughts on a future rifle idea?

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
At some point... When I have the money. I was thinking it would be neat to have someone build me a custom 458 lott with a short threaded barrel to make use of my 46 caliber suppressor.

I was thinking of going with a 16" barrel to give the gun the same OAL as a standard 24" barreled rifle (the suppressor is 8"). I'm aware I will lose some velocity but if I can get a 500gr bullet over 2000fps I'll be happy.

Thoughts?

I’d make sure the suppressor is rated to handle a 458 Lott in a 16” barrel. Some manufacturers have a minimum barrel length when it come to big magnum calibers.

At some point... When I have the money. I was thinking it would be neat to have someone build me a custom 458 lott with a short threaded barrel to make use of my 46 caliber suppressor.

I was thinking of going with a 16" barrel to give the gun the same OAL as a standard 24" barreled rifle (the suppressor is 8"). I'm aware I will lose some velocity but if I can get a 500gr bullet over 2000fps I'll be happy.

Thoughts?

You don't live in Europe and therefore have different options that we cannot have. B&M for example offers rifles with short barrels and the appropriate cartridges. That's why I rather would go for something like that. You don't need a suppressor with big bore rifles, the bang does not bother anyone in the bush.

You don't need a suppressor with big bore rifles, the bang does not bother anyone in the bush.
Shot a hartebeest in a valley with a 338 WM... Could hear nothing but ringing for almost 10 minutes. I currently use this suppressor on my deer rifle (45-70). I want a 458 Lott and want to save what's left of my hearing.

I have been hunting for 50 years and have shot various rifles of calibers between 22LR and 600 Nitro Express without any hear protection and I still hear very well. Other topic.

As far as the cartridge 458 Lott is concerned, a good choice for a big game rifle, but not with a short barrel. 24" would be the minimum length for the barrel and in this case you don't need a suppressor.

1. Good for you. Most of my hearing is gone.

2. Where are you getting this 24" requirement from?

@matt85 I have some SWATCOM electronic ear defenders. I love them. I mainly got them for range work but then one morning thought Id use them for waterfowl. I was impressed that I can hear where the birds are coming from just as I would without them on. Might be worth the investment to save what hearing you have left

Thoughts?
I’d build a 458 b&m if I was gonna go with a barrel that short and suppressed. You’re burning a lott of un-necessary, excess powder with a Lott to achieve similar internal and external ballistics

I’d build a 458 b&m if I was gonna go with a barrel that short and suppressed. You’re burning a lott of un-necessary, excess powder with a Lott to achieve similar internal and external ballistics
A quick Google search yielded a dead website, but I was able to find some forum posts on the cartridge. Looks intriguing, but I wasn't able to find a source of brass.

I'm not set on the 458 Lott cartridge. But I thought it would stand the best chance of producing the velocity needed from a short barrel. Regardless of the cartridge used, I will need a reliable source of brass.

If you want close to bespoke but still factory, I'd highly recommend a Heym Express rifle. Pay the money, wait the long wait...have an incredible rifle. High dollar and I'd have to guess about a two to three year wait.

Option 2 - Start with a GMA African Magnum action, a Douglas barrel and stock blank. Find a custom maker of your choice and commission a build. Again, not cheap but could probably be done in about a year and a half to two years.

Option 3 - Find an already customized CZ550 458LOTT that's had an AHR treatment and have the barrel shortened to your desired length. Probably the least expensive and quickest.

Any of these will get you to your end point. It's just a matter of how you want it to look and how you feel about the finished product. Personally, I'd opt for the Heym.

EDIT - Because I'm me...get a Blaser R8 and have the barrel cut and threaded to the length you want.

A quick Google search yielded a dead website, but I was able to find some forum posts on the cartridge. Looks intriguing, but I wasn't able to find a source of brass.

I'm not set on the 458 Lott cartridge. But I thought it would stand the best chance of producing the velocity needed from a short barrel. Regardless of the cartridge used, I will need a reliable source of brass.
300 RUM brass comes and goes but it’s usually fairly easy to source. And you can reload it a dozen times…the Lott not so much. I’m also not a fan of resizing above the belt after 2 or 3 firings.

I just checked the website. Looks like B&M rifles and cartridges is still an active domain.

Midway shows Norma 300 RUM brass in stock. Sorry, I’m an enabler and would like to see more B&M rifles in the world. Just finishing up another and waiting on metal to come back from cerakoter’s for final fitting.

I would go with an 18” barrel. A suppressor on a big bore will add some velocity back into the equation as well and you will be able to get more than 2000 fps. I would also look at using CE Raptors which allows you to reduce bullet weight without sacrificing performance on buffalo. Reduced weight Raptors will also increase your fps.

Look up posts by @michael458 to read about extensive research and development on reduced weight Raptor bullets in 458 Lott.

Midway shows Norma 300 RUM brass in stock. Sorry, I’m an enabler and would like to see more B&M rifles in the world. Just finishing up another and waiting on metal to come back from cerakoter’s for final fitting.
To legally bring ammunition into SA, it must match the gun. I would need brass correctly marked as "458 B&M".

Might be easier to build a 458 Win Mag. Could run with a long action. Might be easier to find factory ammo for it as well. Just a thought. I have one in a VZ24 action and it maxes it out but feeds great.

To legally bring ammunition into SA, it must match the gun. I would need brass correctly marked as "458 B&M".
Mr Mcourry went to marking both calibers on the barrel. Mine says 375RUM/ 500 MDM. 300 RUM/458 B&M would be engraved if you wished. I didn't have an issue on my sole trip FWIW.

Mr Mcourry went to marking both calibers on the barrel. Mine says 375RUM/ 500 MDM. 300 RUM/458 B&M would be engraved if you wished. I didn't have an issue on my sole trip FWIW.
Not a bad idea!

I'm betting 99/100 trips, no one would care. But that one time the police confiscate your ammo... You would completely screwed!

Reactions: RLL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungR7748

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

We have been very busy hunting! Lots of pictures and videos in process!

expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Total con artist! Bradley Joseph Clemens!
expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Regarding Senga Senga. Brad Clemens. Do your research with him. He owes people money…took deposits, no hunt! Two words, for anyone who wants to hire him…..background check. His character shows and this character follows every aspect of his life. Not to be trusted at all!
Grandpa Moose wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Thanks for the advice/help. Hope the kids get a good plug from my mis post. Rain like crazy here