The Unintentional McNab

Wheels

AH ambassador
Joined
Dec 23, 2012
Messages
11,490
Reaction score
50,712
Location
Oklahoma
Media
122
Articles
2
Hunting reports
Africa
5
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
The term McNab came up on another thread and reminded me of a story from my youth. I have heard/read of a similar story a number of years ago, so there may be another story like this out there. Hope you enjoy.

The story was told by Mzee Bauer, an old ivory hunter from the Deutsch Ostafrika days. At the time of the story, I had never heard the term McNab. I doubt he ever heard the term. Time has dulled my memory, but I believe the animal in question was a hartebeest so I will call it that in the story.

Mzee Bauer along with a couple of his men were elephant hunting and came up to a large drying up pan. The elephant grass had been burned off in most places on the pan and only small mud holes remained. As they cleared some of the remaining elephant grass, they came upon a hartebeest drinking in a mud hole.

Needing meat he aimed and fired. After the recoil, he saw feathers flying a little in front of where the hartebeest stood and the wounded hartebeest running off. His men commenced uncontrollable laughter which they couldn't stop. Laughing, they walked up to a stork with it's head blown apart. In the storks mouth was a barbel that also had its head blown apart. Evidently the stork had just caught the fish and raised it's head to swallow as the bullet hit. The wounded hartebeest was followed up and had either died or was dispatched.

The Mzee had taken a bird, fish and animal with one shot. Out of a life in the bush, that was the story that seemed to give him the most enjoyment in telling. He also told it much better than me. Wish you could have heard his version. Prost Mzee.
 
Ha ha ha ha
That is a one in a million,shot".......
Thanks for the laugh , wheels""...
Did the bullet pass through the hartebeest , then the stork
 
Ha ha ha ha
That is a one in a million,shot".......
Thanks for the laugh , wheels""...
Did the bullet pass through the hartebeest , then the stork

It hit the stork first. He didn't know the stork was there until he saw the feathers.
 
Never to be repeated. One shot McNab.
Hilarious.
 
That's awesome.... and I needed the laugh today!
 
Thanks fir telling the story Bob.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,313
Messages
1,572,567
Members
169,586
Latest member
MichaelaTo
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top