AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
Good day members, for members who are interested in the origin and history of the .338 Imperial Magnum history, I received these documents from Aubrey White himself .

Attachments

• History IMC Page 1.pdf
    924.7 KB · Views: 120
  • History IMC Page 2.pdf
    980.6 KB · Views: 78
  • History IMC Page 3.pdf
    943.8 KB · Views: 74
Any Canadian hunters traveling soon to South Africa, please consider bringing with you a package of .338 Imperial Magnum items ( reamers & brass) with you so Gert can build a nice rifle and have some fun with this cartridge. I have the items for him, and just need a way to getting them delivered since mail/courier is not practical. Anyone willing to help out please private message me.

Members, it would be much appreciated if a member will be willing o bring this parcel to South Africa when visiting . I sentimental value of these items since it was Aubrey White`s personal set of dies , reamer and brass , he passed away .Long Walker , thank you for still trying to get this parcel to me in South Africa, it is much appreciated.

There's so many cartridges, factory, proprietary, and wildcat that the 404 has "grandfathered". I wonder if anyone has done a count yet ???
Could be it's the most under-rated case today ...
Geoff, we have to keep in mind there is a big difference between the standard 404 Jeffery case and all the other spawns like the RUM with all it`s varieties. I am building only the 404 Jeffery standard cases neck up or down in the standard 404 Jeffery form case only.

The RUM and all other calibers came after Aubrey White`s design fell through the carpet due to poor quality brass from Argentina and the one year late arrival of the Imperial Magnum brass .( History is in the three documents I up

Like the 9.3x70 mm it is a 10.75x73 DWM brass used , the .338 Imperial Magnum (standard 404 Jeffery case) the .458 African is a standard 404 Jeffery case used /neck up .

I will use my 404 brass to form case for these two calibers when I have the reloading dies.

Thank you, Gert, good mate, and clever g'smith here (in Nhulunbuy, Northern Territory) Anthony George, has recommended the 458 African as a "stopper"; I believe he has rechambered rifles to it/them. Similarly, the stockmaker we both patronise, Brett Russouw speaks highly of it/them. Anthony has built at least one "short" 404 by chambering standard length actions about 6mm short; equivalent ballistics. I'm learning lots on this site from you knowledgeable men.

Thank you, Gert, good mate, and clever g'smith here (in Nhulunbuy, Northern Territory) Anthony George, has recommended the 458 African as a "stopper"; I believe he has rechambered rifles to it/them. Similarly, the stockmaker we both patronise, Brett Russouw speaks highly of it/them. Anthony has built at least one "short" 404 by chambering standard length actions about 6mm short; equivalent ballistics. I'm learning lots on this site from you knowledgeable men.
@geoff rath
I love Anthony's 375 on a 280AI case. A 35 cal on the 280AI would be a screamer.
Bob

Can't do a switch-barrel on a Ruger No 1; just txting Anthony, he's working on a modified case, will try running 270 grain bullets... Buff??

Can't do a switch-barrel on a Ruger No 1; just txting Anthony, he's working on a modified case, will try running 270 grain bullets... Buff??
@geoff rath
Why not???
Unscrew barrel and screw new one in. Just use indexing marks ar go the full hog and use an interrupted thread . Anything is possible if you have enough $$$$.
Bob

Gert - I have a friend that has brass AND dies for the 338 Imperial. He has no use for them.

Gert - I have a friend that has brass AND dies for the 338 Imperial. He has no use for them.
Mike, is it the .338 Imperial Magnum re-loading dies???
Here are some photos of the .338 Imperial Magnum components, I am only in need of the dies then I can build a long range fun shoot/hunting rifle
1111111 2f6cf907-02f2-4f4a-b8da-44977e382279.jpeg
4444444 5338f4db-ea50-4053-bdb1-3a6ab0434710.jpeg
555555555 2f6cf907-02f2-4f4a-b8da-44977e382279 (1).jpeg
222222222f7fecac9-d671-4ae3-bce0-54b92ac2af2d.jpeg

Mike, I really would like to buy the dies and brass from him..would you be so kind as to ask him if he would be willing to sell the dies???

Geoff, the originator of the .458 African is a friend of mine, he is the author of African Game Cartridge's -Pierre van der Walt

Sadly, doing a "switch barrel" build on a Ruger no 1 is a complex job; the G'smith has to deal with the rib (barrel-mounted) and the forend hanger. Awkward trying to set up sights/ scope ...

Interrupted threads and $$.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiguelBert

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?