Taxidermist Recommendation?

lockingblock

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Following an outstanding plains game hunt with NKWE in Botswana, I am in need of a good taxidermist.

Couple of things I need-

1. US based. I will road trip to pick up the finished mounts.

2. Preferably East Coast to Midwest.

3. Cost isn’t the primary driver but I’m looking at 8 or so animals, so 3k for a Kudu shoulder mount isn’t going to work. Price needs to be logical.

Any recommendations?

IMG_0444.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
@gizmo and his Top of Taxidermy are an AH sponsor

I watched the splitting image video today they make a heck of a good argument for getting it done in RSA and with the shipping problems now days ‍♂️♂️

Last edited:
I have never met Eric @gizmo in person but from his pics of work on here, his response to my and all's taxidermy questions and willingness to assist plus the fact that there isn't ANY negative feedback I would certainly recommend talking to him first. Not sure how Texas fits in your scope of area.

In a perfect world he gives you the price you are after, will provide the quality, then he completes your animals. When he states finished drive down, spend a few more $$/days at his place hunting something that suits you then drive home with your completed work. (y)

MB

I think shipping would be rough…2 big Kudu, Gemsbok, Waterbuck, Impala, etc.

That said, a U.S. taxidermist quoted almost 3k for a Kudu…about 20k for 8 animals (7 shoulder mounts and a rug).

So, doing it in SA might be viable in comparison.

That said, a U.S. taxidermist quoted almost 3k for a Kudu…about 20k for 8 animals (7 shoulder mounts and a rug).

From splitting image we had 15 animals (14 shoulder, 3 wood pedestals and 1 rug) our bill was cheaper than that before shipping. Shipping was another 7500 and they have arrived in port. Waiting on the final damage.

Hello I’d be glad to help you and I am no where near 3k for a kudu, more like $1700 for a standard shoulder mount and +100 for a wall pedestal. If you would send me the animals and what you would like done I’d be glad to give you a quote. I ship coast to coast all the time with safaris and my guys are generally around 2500 to ship 7 shoulder mounts to the east coast from here.

Also all of my pricing is published on my website

Following an outstanding plains game hunt with NKWE in Botswana, I am in need of a good taxidermist.

Couple of things I need-

1. US based. I will road trip to pick up the finished mounts.

2. Preferably East Coast to Midwest.

3. Cost isn’t the primary driver but I’m looking at 8 or so animals, so 3k for a Kudu shoulder mount isn’t going to work. Price needs to be logical.

Any recommendations?
I would recommend Ty's Taxidermy in Vidor, Tx. They do an amazing job on their mounts. They also ship all over the US at a very reasonable price.

I just had 16 animals done in SA, 14 shoulder/pedestal, 1 full body and 1 rug. Plus a back skin rug, gun case and shell holder belt from my buffalo hide made. Taxidermy + extras was $7800 shipping was $3300. Quality was great, service was great. Plus turnaround was only 12 months, Hunted in July 22, received trophies July 23.

I just had 16 animals done in SA, 14 shoulder/pedestal, 1 full body and 1 rug. Plus a back skin rug, gun case and shell holder belt from my buffalo hide made. Taxidermy + extras was $7800 shipping was $3300. Quality was great, service was great. Plus turnaround was only 12 months, Hunted in July 22, received trophies July 23.

What type of animals? Do you have any pictures of the mounts?

What type of animals? Do you have any pictures of the mounts?
Sable
Nyala
Waterbuck
Kudu
Cape buffalo
Red lechwe
2 Impala common and black
2 springbuck
Blesbuck
Wilderbeast
2 zebra
Diker
Gemsbuck

I’ll get pics tomorrow. Taxidermy is very good quality. I was able to tour the taxidermy facility before making a decision to leave my trophies in SA.

Sable
Nyala
Waterbuck
Kudu
Cape buffalo
Red lechwe
2 springbuck
Blesbuck
Wilderbeast
2 zebra
Diker
Gemsbuck

I’ll get pics tomorrow. Taxidermy is very good quality. I was able to tour the taxidermy facility before making a decision to leave my trophies in SA.
Man, that pricing is really reasonable. Especially given what you “saved” on dip/pack. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Sable
Nyala
Waterbuck
Kudu
Cape buffalo
Red lechwe
2 springbuck
Blesbuck
Wilderbeast
2 zebra
Diker
Gemsbuck

You made one hell of a deal! You are less than half of what we spent on a very similar take of animals.

Sable
Nyala
Waterbuck
Kudu
Cape buffalo
Red lechwe
2 springbuck
Blesbuck
Wilderbeast
2 zebra
Diker
Gemsbuck

Any update on the pics? Curious to see how they came out. On the edge of using a SA or Northeast based taxidermist.

love your room!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arisha1On

Latest profile posts

Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!