Tanzania: Poaching Syndicate Exposed

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
By Sylivester Domasa

Dodoma — Key suspects in the massive poaching and wildlife trafficking were named yesterday, with the police given seven-day ultimatum to arrest and prosecute Wayne Lotter's murderers.

Natural Resources and Tourism Minister Hamisi Kigwangalla released the first list of operators, owners of hunting blocks and officials in the ministry accused of supporting the poaching syndicate.

He blamed the suspects whom he said had for a decade paralysed the country's national parks, protected areas and game reserves. Dr Kigwangalla, speaking to reporters here, said: "The suspects along with their associates will first undergo a thorough inquiry by the ministry's special task force...I have potential incriminating evidence and I want them to appear before the task force for questioning."

He gave the named suspects until next Wednesday to report to the Ministry in Dodoma. The named suspects are Berlette Safari Corporation Limited, which operates Ruvu Masai GCA, Selous GR LL1, Selous GR LL2 and Selous GR MT2; and Game Frontiers of Tanzania Ltd that controls Moyowosi/Njigwe GR 2, Rungwa River GCA, Mbaranga'NDU WMA and Ugalla GR E as well as Green Miles Safaris Limited.

Others are Mkwawa Hunting Safaris (T) Ltd that operates on Selous M1, Selous GR K4 and Selous GR R1; TanzaniaGame Trackers Safaris Ltd that operates on Maswa Kimali GR, Maswa Mbono, Ugalla GR N and Ugalla GR S. Wengert Windrose Safaris (T) Ltd that runs Lake Natron GCA-North, Makere FR-Uvinza OA and Moyowosi GR S also appears in the list. The minister charged that he had received vital information from the United States of America agency implicating some of the hunting block operators for supporting the poaching syndicate.

"I can confirm to you, a wife of one of the suspects had close relations with the Ivory Queen, Ms Yang Fenglan," Dr Kigwangalla charged, adding that some operators cleverly used their official documents to smuggle hundreds of kilogrammes of ivory and other endangered wildlife by conniving with dishonest government officials.

While hunting operators may have permits to kill two wild animals a year, Dr Kigwangalla said, some killed over 20 and used the same permit to smuggle the illegally hunted animals. "Some extended their hunting blocks while some are also accused of transferring hunting blocks without observing the procedures," he revealed.

It had come to the ministry's attention that while there were over 116,000 elephants in Ruaha Game Reserve in 2008, a 2014 census revealed that there were only 8,000 elephants. The Minister said the government has embarked on acomprehensive strategy to purge the entire syndicate of wildlife trafficking in the country by 2020.

Dr Kigwangalla warned especially the police to back up efforts by the ministry against poachers. Citing the killing of Lotter, renowned elephant conservationist in August last year, after having received numerous death threats in the country for his work, the minister said police were aware of the people behind the killing but had taken too long to act.

"The police are aware of the names and location of all people behind the killing...they had a video footage of the person who financed the plan, yet nothing has been done," the minister charged, giving the law enforcers seven days to take action or else he will personally take the matter to President John Magufuli.

According to Dr Kigwangalla, one of the people who had evidence has already been killed and others are afraid of their lives.

Source: http://allafrica.com/stories/201801260119.html

Naming operators prior to a complete investigation or questioning... that is damaging to a business. I question the motive for making an announcement like this by the Tanz gov.
Perhaps this is how they plan on ousting the concession holders, make life so difficult that they give up on the area.

It had come to the ministry's attention that while there were over 116,000 elephants in Ruaha Game Reserve in 2008, a 2014 census revealed that there were only 8,000 elephants
I've always been amazed by these numbers, 108,000 ele decline over 6 years is 50 ele per day, every day, for 6 years...
I highly doubt the operators are involved... if they were, they'd be retired on their privately owned island by now!

really??... ......some of those operators run large highly effective anti poaching teams.....and TGTS lost one of their helicopter pilots after he was shot by poachers while flying a couple of years ago...so bullshit comes to mind.....

Perhaps this is how they plan on ousting the concession holders, make life so difficult that they give up on the area.

and agree with you pete ....after the cock up made by saying they were stopping all hunting and putting areas up for auction recently..and then back tracking and postponing....makes you wonder......

Wasn't Green Mile the company with the shady video a couple years ago showing scum running down animals in vehicles, shooting Kori's and torturing animals so they could perform halal? Isn't Green Mile owned by members of a UAE/Dubai royal family?

The Friedken's have given or committed $300 million dollars to Tanzania wildlife and they get publicly slammed like this.

I don't know about all the concession owners, but going after middle east royals and the Friedkens' sounds like it could be a shakedown. Or, were these companies the most vocal in getting this new ministers program overturned in the last month or so.

Tanzania continues to shoot itself in the foot. My fear is that wildlife will be the big looser in all of this.

PS: I do hope they find and convict all involved in the murder of Lotter!

It had come to the ministry's attention that while there were over 116,000 elephants in Ruaha Game Reserve in 2008, a 2014 census revealed that there were only 8,000 elephants.
l

The upper Ruaha basin is an area I have some knowledge of. I am fairly certain there were not 116,000 elephants in the area 50 years ago. I am pretty certain the ecosystem didn't have the ability to support this number of elephant in 2008. This has to be a made up number in my opinion.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 8.40.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 8.40.36 AM.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 183
Something doesn't smell right here

Wasn't Green Mile the company with the shady video a couple years ago showing scum running down animals in vehicles, shooting Kori's and torturing animals so they could perform halal? Isn't Green Mile owned by members of a UAE/Dubai royal family?

The Friedken's have given or committed $300 million dollars to Tanzania wildlife and they get publicly slammed like this.

I don't know about all the concession owners, but going after middle east royals and the Friedkens' sounds like it could be a shakedown. Or, were these companies the most vocal in getting this new ministers program overturned in the last month or so.

Tanzania continues to shoot itself in the foot. My fear is that wildlife will be the big looser in all of this.

PS: I do hope they find and convict all involved in the murder of Lotter!

The sad thing isn’t that they darn corruption is everywhere these days. And you are right the w8ldlife will be the looser in the end,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LouCassell

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]