Tanning in RSA or dip and pack? Also doing euros for most

Letzhunt

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I'm sure this has been discussed at length but I didn't see anything that answered it together. I'll be headed to SA for a plains game hunt for 7 animals. I will Not be shooting any swine or primates.
My current list is:
KUDU
GEMSBUCK
ZEBRA
BLUE WILDEBEEST
IMPALA
BLESBUCK
SPRINGBUCK

I may add one or two of the following if the chance presents itself:
NYALA
RED HARTEBEEST
SABLE

OK so here are the plans for the trophies
KUDU and GEMSBUCK would be pedestal mounted together. (if I happen to take a NYALA or SABLE then it would be with them)
ZEBRA I wish to have mounted in the 3D form in the shape of Africa. (I will attach photos for understanding later)

ALL others will be just skull mounts.

So with that what is my best option for Dip and Pack and taxidermy. The skulls are obvious as they will come home that way but I think Dip and Pac has to get shipped separate from them? For the three or four that will be mounted in any fashion should I have them dipped and packed and shipped or have them tanned in SA or full mounted in SA. I consistently hear "don't get Taxidermy done in Africa" so I am leaning on dip and pack but also have heard of tanning in SA. Have heard tanning there is not the same though.

Do the skulls get shipped straight to me or do they go somewhere else first?...again no swine or primates.
Dip and pack is separate from the skulls correct?
Dip and Packed gets shipped to where? What do I need to know about this before I go over there?
What happens with the horns from the 2 or 3 I am having dipped or tanned? can they come home in the crate with the skulls?
Is tanning in SA a better option than dipping as I think they can get shipped with the skulls?
I assume the US taxidermist is what most will recommend and not sure the SA ones will do the African shaped zebra I wish to have done so it may be a mute point.
I'm in NE Indiana so if I have a US taxidermist do it I would like someone fairly close to complete them. One who has done African animals before. Any recommendations for me?
What else am I missing?

I want to have my mind set before I go in May, 2024. So I don't have to think too hard about it there.
Thanks in advance for any advise you all may have.

here is the 3D mount I would like to have done.
Zebra_3D_Mount_20170717_1424.jpeg

I would ask the shipper on that side (your outfitter can put you in touch with them) and ask the customs broker on this side about crates. I’ve had tanned flat skins put in the dip and pack crate before no issues, but I’ve also seen others write here separate shipments are required. Since there are no restricted items you tell the customs broker where you’d like the crates sent. You can send to your house or direct to the taxidermy, your choice.
The flat skins I’ve had tanned for rugs in Namibia and South Africa are the same quality as here. Just a much better price and turn around time. The quality of taxidermy is debatable. I have mine done here every time. I don’t think the taxidermy there is as good in most cases. If you are going to have done here, talk with your US taxidermy how they want the skins delivered. Most are going to want dip and pack and have wet tanned here so easier to work with.

You do not have to separate dip and pack skull/horns from taxidermy mounts - shoulder mounts etc. I just received a mixed shipment of various mounts ( full bodied Caracal and pedestal wall mounts of some tiny tens and dip/ pack skulls). Also shipped was a crate from Mozambique which was all dip/pack. Skulls/ capes. The mixed crate was from South Africa from two different outfitters.
You can ship 5 crates as one consignment into USA. You don’t save that much but I only have to make the 3 hour drive into San Francisco once.

Research taxidermists over there and then decide how to proceed. You should either do all taxidermy or all dip and pack. For some reason most won't ship a mixed crate. Do not tan normal shoulder mounts in Africa and then mount in the US. Tanning of leather such as ostrich, hippo, or buffalo is better in Africa.

Thanks for all the info thus far. I'm still thinking this all out. Anyone know of a good taxidermist for AFRICAN GAME in the Midwest, I'm in NE Indiana but am willing to travel a bit if I end up choosing to have the work done here.

The Wildlife Gallery has done a good job for me on a couple of pieces. They are located in Michigan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arisha1On

Latest profile posts

Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!